cliff kornegay Guest

Default Deck post & beam connection question

I looked over the AWCs DCA guide for decks, but couldn't find any guidance for whether or not this is a problem. The post to beam connection pages do not have directions for a rim joist and floor joist bearing together on a structural post. It looks problematic to me, but I am not positive. Any guidance?

I plan to note that the post is substantially checked and I couldn't see the footers. The deck is attached to the house with a ledger board, but I'm sure the footings are inadequate, its a three story deck!

Thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Deck post & beam connection question

Quote Originally Posted by cliff kornegay View Post
    I looked over the AWCs DCA guide for decks, but couldn't find any guidance for whether or not this is a problem. The post to beam connection pages do not have directions for a rim joist and floor joist bearing together on a structural post. It looks problematic to me, but I am not positive. Any guidance?

I plan to note that the post is substantially checked and I couldn't see the footers. The deck is attached to the house with a ledger board, but I'm sure the footings are inadequate, its a three story deck!

Thanks in advance!
    Cliff,

Looks like a nice old-fashioned joist connection. When I see something like this, I generally make a comment about the lack of framing hardware and recommend installation of appropriate hardware. I try not to be too specific because I am not an engineer or designer. I will nudge them toward the Simpson Strong-Tie sight which has all kinds of helpful information regarding deck construction.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

cliff kornegay Guest

Default Re: Deck post & beam connection question

Maybe that what I should call it, old fashioned!

I always try to stay away from giving engineering advice, but if there is a reference that can give some guidance, I'll cite the information.

I've even got the new IRC guide on deck construction and I couldn't find an example of this connection.

Structurally speaking, I'm probably more concerned that I can't the see the footings for this deck, because I know the posts are 4 inches away from a retaining wall. I'm fairly certain that the 45 degree area of deflection is broken up by the retaining wall.