C.Johnson Guest

Default GE Protimeter moisture meter

Anyone use a GE Protimeter moisture meter on there inspections, was curious if they are really worth the money or do you recomend something better in comparison for value.
    Thanks for any input!

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: GE Protimeter moisture meter

Quote Originally Posted by C.Johnson View Post
    Anyone use a GE Protimeter moisture meter on there inspections, was curious if they are really worth the money or do you recomend something better in comparison for value.
    Thanks for any input!
    The Protimeter SM is one of the best meters you can get. I have had one for about 10 years. Yes, they cost a few dollars but you get what you pay for.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

C.Johnson Guest

Thanks Scott that is the exact one i was looking at.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

CJ, +1 on what Scott said. I had a cheapo moisture meter for years and upgraded to the Protimeter SM a few years ago. It ran me about $450.00 plus shipping but it has been well worth it.

The PT (subsurface mode) woks better on ceramic tile, the Tramex on drywall, I carry and end up using both at most inspections.

I have the PT with both the subsurface and pin modes, the extension cable for the pins are really handy.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Hi (all) &

* That's ALL I would use - best I've ever found & "no complaints" !

Consider that opinion 'seconded'...

CHEERS !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI

Jason Rockler Guest

It looks like you all agree to stay away from the cheap meters. No argument here.

Instead of a protimeter, though, I'd definitely say go with a Wagner. Probably their BI 2200, but definitely a Wagner for accuracy. The pinless feature of the protimeter is way to sensitive for surface moisture and will give you too many false positives. Wagner cancels that out.
    The pin side of the protimeter is probably better than most pin-type meters out there, but I'd recommend against a pin meter.

For a less biased look at the ups and downs of pin-vs-pinless meters, I'd recommend going to MoistureMeters.com, then to their Moisture Meter Technology page.

As a inspector, IMAO, you can't get by without at least a meter with a pinless feature, but let me know if anyone says different. Anyway, I say go with a Wagner for accuracy, but a Protimeter SM if you have some (irrational) fear of Wagner.