mathew stouffer Guest

Default Notched glue lam

OK correct me if I am wrong, and I sure everyone will , but I thought glue lams were not supposed to be notched. This is a poarch, and the lam has been notched to fit across the footing and on the end bearing. Place was built in 04 but I am not sure when the deck was built.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Re: Notched glue lam

Oh, it is a 12 inch lam and the notches are 2.5 inches.

C.Johnson Guest

I'm not sure myself if it is ok or not but if its OK like a 2x is, my understanding the problem would be when notching out of bottom the full strength of the beam is no longer valid if 2.5 in was removed it becomes more of a 9.5 in beam for strength as apposed to 12, also since the load comes down from above it increases the chance for it to bow or smile under load, but if it were me i would call your local code office to check first before giving it the OK. In other words if 9.5in is sufficient for the loads then it should be fine, but double check with your local codes.

You've got shear and bending loads to consider.

How thick is the beam, doubt shear will be a problem on that deck with that beam, but a curved notch distributes shear loads better than a square notch. Is it a deck or a porch ? I don't see any roof.

Bending loads...need to consider how long the span is and how much deck area is supported by that span?

matthew,
    is that a pressure treated gluelam? if not it is all wrong for multiple reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by brian schmitt View Post
    matthew,
    is that a pressure treated gluelam? if not it is all wrong for multiple reasons.
    As Brian noted, it needs to be an exterior rated gluelam and that one does not look like it is.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

mathew stouffer Guest

**** I forgot to look but now that I am looking at the pics it is stained so it may be hard to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    **** I forgot to look but now that I am looking at the pics it is stained so it may be hard to tell.
    usually you will see the holes from the teatment in the wood . this will delaminate, get bugs , and rot ....soon!

mathew stouffer Guest

What do you think? It does not look to be pressure treated.

Being that close to the ground it will need to be PT.
    Is being rated for exterior use the same as PT?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Being that close to the ground it will need to be PT.
    Is being rated for exterior use the same as PT?
    sometimes! exterior use and rating includes non-pt wood. exterior glues give plywood and gluelams exterior ratings while pt allows ground contact or reduced clearance.

Glue lams are different from all others as far as notching due to different grades of lumber within the beam. They are made with the stronger grades of lumber on the top and bottom because they are in tention and compression and weaker grades in the center thus when the beam is notched you can not just say the beam is only 9 inches instead of 12 inches.

Never saw a glue lam beam for an application like this? I suspect it was left over from an interior job. Notice extra suport at about 4-6 foot away.
    Seams strong enough but not treated.

Curious as to how high those bench seats are from the ground......wouldn't want to tip backward off of them.....

mathew stouffer Guest

The deck is only three years old, was built after the house. Sure it is strong enough but what happens if you have a party and there a 50 to 60 people on it. Chance it may split along that notch?

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    The deck is only three years old, was built after the house. Sure it is strong enough but what happens if you have a party and there a 50 to 60 people on it. Chance it may split along that notch?
    I wouldn't worry about it splitting. How far will it go? I'd let the clent know it may rot eventually. Enjoy it for now.
    PS, I had a deck with low bench seats like that for about 20 years. Nobody ever tipped back off of them, but hey, it can be done.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca