Thread: Attic Mould

jerri ellis Guest

Unhappy Attic Mould

Help! I have an extensive amount of attic mould and I do not know where to start. I was quoted up to $6000.00 for cleaning and remediation. Is this right? My new roof only cost $4000.00. We have lived in a nightmare neighborhood for too long and want out and now this. It was built in 1978. Is the house even worth it? What and with whom do I start this process and not get screwed around? Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Attic Mould

Starting with someone making a gable end truss (with the additional studs) out of a common truss, likely without engineer, and without any truss plates, I'd say that the mould was the least of your problems.

I am not a big fan of those who panic when they see some mould, crimeny, clean it up and get on with life. Who told you about the mould, a mold-is-gold inspector who makes a killing off scaring people and then makes more remediating the mould?

Looks like a ventilation problem which needs to be corrected, then allow the mould to die on its own.

I'll let others chime in here, but unless you or a member of your family is having allergic reactions to something unknown (in which case get tested and then see if it really is that mould which is causing the problem) I don't see what the big deal is.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com