Terry Sandmeier Guest

Default Identification of this Synthetic Shingle?

I came across an roof covering that I have not seen before. It appears to a synthetic composite shingle that is 4' in length. Does anyone know what type of shingle this is, and where I can find more info about it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Identification of this Synthetic Shingle?

I've looked at these pics a few times and my WAG is that someone used a vertical siding "shingle" product on the roof..

Nothing about the overlaps (between courses or adjacent panels) strikes me "quality roofing product".

But that is just my WAG

Egbert Jager
    Diamond Home Inspection
    http://www.diamondhomeinspection.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Sandmeier View Post
    I came across an roof covering that I have not seen before. It appears to a synthetic composite shingle that is 4' in length. Does anyone know what type of shingle this is, and where I can find more info about it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Terry,

I don't remember what it is called. I do recall a similar thread about this product from a couple of years ago. It is a roofing product and was pretty much bad news. You could do a search of the IN archives, but it might take a while.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Kary Krismer Guest

If that's what I think it is, it's called Crap. I've seen a couple of houses with something that looks a lot like that on it, and it wasn't pretty. But perhaps that's because of all our rain.

C.Johnson Guest

Lamarite Shake Composite Shingles
    Tamko.com > Home
    At least that is what it looks like to me from the pics, may not be the correct brand for yours but should give you the jist of what it is...I've only seen it a couple of times on higher end homes.
    BUT, the more i look at your pics it does kinda seem like it could be vinyl shake siding being used as a roofing wich just be so wrong i can't even say where to begin, tough call without being able to see it in person.
    Good Luck with it!

Last edited by C.Johnson; 07-01-2010 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Correct link to tamko and additional comment

chris mcintyre Guest

Terry Sandmeier Guest

Jim you nailed it,

I have never seen this product before, looks like we have some issues. Thanks all for the reply and info.

The roof sheathing was in good condition from the attic side and no leaks were detected, but some deterioration and swelling of the shingle was found. Here are some more pics.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Try this, Woodruf shingles
    Woodruf! That's the name I couldn't remember. Thanks Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Sandmeier View Post
    The roof sheathing was in good condition from the attic side and no leaks were detected, but some deterioration and swelling of the shingle was found. Here are some more pics.
    Isn't it amazing how some of these really terrible products somehow seem to function in spite of what one might think? It might be a testament to the quality of the roofer who installed it.

Steve Szypulski Guest

I have seen this product a number of times. It is manufactured by a Canadian company, Novik, and is branded "NoviSlate" or "Novishingle"

Never seen a Novishingle anything like that! They don't make Novishingle from degradable materials as this obviously is..

Terry Sandmeier Guest

Gunnar, I think the roofer got lucky, the shingles were stapled to the sheathing and there was not any tar paper underlayment after the first 36" from the eves. 8 nails per shingles section and tar paper underlayment under the entire roof are required by the manufacturer for proper installation.
    Novik products come in manufactured what appears to be two courses, these shingles are a single course.
    Thanks guys!!

Jake Guerrero Guest

I would say possibly Hardishingle but supposedly distribution was limited to TX and CA only.

JHBP Roof Shakes Class Action Settlement - Identify Product (scroll to bottom)

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Guerrero View Post
    I would say possibly Hardishingle but supposedly distribution was limited to TX and CA only.

JHBP Roof Shakes Class Action Settlement - Identify Product (scroll to bottom)
    Jake,

I would disagree with you. I have seen several Hardie roofs and they look nothing like the saltine crackers used as roofing in Terry's pics.

Yep' Jim was the first to nail this one (terrible pun). Thanks for the link about the recall and info on this.

I remember several (save a buck by the contractor) houses that used this about 20 years ago....I have never inspected any of these..but...they seam to be holding up very well here in the dry desert. It looks like the problem with this product is due to moisture in damper climates. (like the manufacturer couldn't see this coming...it is a roof for pity sake!). This and other Masonite type products used for siding, kind of ran out their welcome and were short lived in many exterior applications. And I believe there have been some problems with off-gassing when used inside, mostly manufactured houses.

Terry Sandmeier Guest

This house was a manufactured home put on a walkout basement concrete foundation, well done accept the roof shingles. The area it was built receives over 400 in of snow per year and have over 30 days of sub zero temp in the winter. Still it is relatively dry compared to other parts of the nation. I am surprised I did not see further deterioration.