Question Ridge beam cut two.

Hey guys.
    I came across a ridge beam that has three individual pieces of the beam butt end together to create a larger one. There is no support under the butt ends as you can see. Picture 1 and 2 are the same picture different angles. Picture 3 is approximately 10 feet away. There are collar ties throughout. Concerns and comments will be appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    David D. Whitt
    1st Steps Home Inspections

Default Re: Ridge beam cut two.

It just looks like a ridge board-- not a problem since that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by David D. Whitt View Post
    Hey guys.
    I came across a ridge beam that has three individual pieces of the beam butt end together to create a larger one. There is no support under the butt ends as you can see. Picture 1 and 2 are the same picture different angles. Picture 3 is approximately 10 feet away. There are collar ties throughout. Concerns and comments will be appreciated.
    In one of the pictures you can see the section of ridge board pulling away from the other. This is what will happen. Who knows how long it has been like that, it looks like the home is older.

It is wrong and it can be corrected.

Rafter ties will help with spreading but they will not help with gravity as the photo is showing!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    In one of the pictures you can see the section of ridge board pulling away from the other. This is what will happen. Who knows how long it has been like that, it looks like the home is older.
    The home was built in 1984.
    I recommended that a contractor take a look at it, but was curious as to cause and effect and possibly knowledge on a repair solution.

thanks

David D. Whitt
    1st Steps Home Inspections

I have no concerns with the ridge board. I would not have reported on it. That board has no structural responsibility except take the pressure from the rafters. In fact, if the board was absent all together I would not have reported on it. With the plywood decking nailed to the rafters and ridge in many locations I see little opportunity for movement.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

The house is 25+ years old. Any signs of any movement or problems within the rest of the house as a result of the condition? Probably not.

Older homes are usually easier to report regarding structural anomalies because the house has stood the test of time. Remember 90% of the movement is going to happen in the first year. After 25 years, if there no movement, not likely to happen in the future.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Quote Originally Posted by David D. Whitt View Post
    I came across a ridge beam that has three individual pieces of the beam butt end together to create a larger one.
    If it is a ridge "beam", then it is a problem, however, if it is a ridge "board" I'm not sure that it is a problem.

The ridge "beam" would be supported at each end, and possibly at intermediate intervals, and it is supported at the one end visible (but is that a ridge beam "support" or simply from construction to temporarily support the ridge board during framing?).

There are collar ties throughout.

Being as collar ties are not required when a ridge beam is used, I would suspect that it is actually a ridge board, and thus that should not be a problem as ridge boards are simply (basically 'simply') used to transfer loads from the rafter on one side to the rafter on the other side (albeit they also serve as a nailer and support for the roof sheathing at the ridge, unless cut open for a ridge vent).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com