Thread: Holmes on Homes

John Steinke Guest

Default Holmes on Homes

If you're not watching this show, you should be.

The general theme of the show is that Mike Holmes - a Canadian general contractor - takes over jobs that are incomplete or have been bungled. Along the way, you get a peek at what he finds along the way.

The show is worth watching, if for no other reason, for the chance it gives you to see 'inside' various types of construction. You also get a pretty good look at the specifics of various problems or construction challenges.

One of the finer points comes when Mike says 'we don't do things that way.' This is when someone's ignorance of a 'trade practice' leads to the discovery of some pretty major errors. It's amazing what a nice plaster job can hide.

One point I need to stress is that this is a Canadian show, so there are some pretty striking code differences.

Of particular relevance to this audience is a two-part show called 'Home Inspection." A pre-purchase inspection found an old home with 'nice bones,' whatever that means. Problems in that house - many quite obvious - led to the house being largely gutted, the basement floor torn up, and the septic tank being replaced.

Keep THAT episode in mind whenever you puzzle over the lack of respect accorded 'home inspectors.'

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Holmes on Homes

John
    Yeah, I watch it from time to time.
    I have not seen the episode your talking, but it has been discussed here.
    Remember, reality TV is not reality, it's just TV.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

How about the conflict of interest wherein Mikes show Holmes Inspection finds problems from prior inspections then undertakes to repair them?

Funny what can be accomplished when you are getting PAID!!!!! BIGTIME!!!!

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Holmes is a soap opera.

He is also a hack! My wife had it on the other night when they were redoing a guys kitchen and and a few other things. They added a roof vent and skylight and nailed the flanges on each directly to the roof decking with out any underlayment and placed the shingles on top of the flanges! Ya, think they will leak! My wife even commented that it did not look right.

Now this how it looked on the TV, it could be that they removed it all and reinstalled it properly and it did not show due to some editing. We will never know...

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

spray foam and screws! real men and real carpenters don't use this stuff to build homes. saw an episode where he built an 8' tall block foundation wall in a basement because the original poured wall was failing. he built the new wall in front of the failing wall which he left in place. no steel in the new footing, no steel in the block wall and no grout in the block wall. he did grout the cell where he put the anchor bolt. his motto is do it right!!!yeah right

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    He is also a hack!

I fully agree.

I've only seen parts of his shows a few times, and EVERY time he makes MAJOR errors in how he addresses things as being 'good' and 'bad'.

It is TV, plain and simple.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Holmes makes a favorable impression on people. I'm often told how great he is by those who watch the show. I'll withhold my opinion.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I've never seen the show. My client at today's inspection did make a comment about the show and that he likes it.

I've tried to watch him but I can't get over the accent thing.

If you want to watch some real fubar, check out that Trading Spaces.

" check out that Trading Spaces."

Yeah, that Eddie Murphy is funny.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post

If you want to watch some real fubar, check out that Trading Spaces.
    Yep. Unwatchable. Gummi Bear lampshades.

I saw an episode where the designer talked the people into painting their neighbors' brick fireplace purple...........purple. WTF??????? If that was my house, the designer wouldn't have been able to get out of there fast enough to escape a punch in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    " check out that Trading Spaces."

Yeah, that Eddie Murphy is funny.
    That's some funny chit Rick.

That's some funny chit Rick.

Thanks, I have my moments.

Rick,

That was Trading Places with Eddie. Course you knew that.

rick (the good look-in rick)

Hey,
    Reader's Digest Canada recently conducted a survey of the top 50 most trusted Canadians. Mike Holmes somehow wound up in second place following David Suzuki.
    Go Figure....eh!
    Rick

It sounds like Holmes raises such a stink about stuff he finds and is so theatrical that people don't realize he's twirling crap work too.

Hey, it's on TV. It must be correct.

Cool Re: Holmes on Homes

Holmes has declared war on home inspectors. He denigrates them at every chance he gets.

I wonder if anyone has ever had a TV crew come behind Mike and inspect HIS work? How many homeowners from his jobs experienced problems or had a punch list?

Hey, in Canada, you can walk on water 6 months out of the year.........................when it's frozen. I guess Mike takes off for the summer.

He does some good things and some goofy things. The guys over the the Journal of Light Cons. noted his use of screws for framing and foaming everything in sight. Mike claims his screws are approved by his AHJs in lieu of nails. The foam issue will be proven over time as to energy performance versus moisture issues or fire. I think he's going to have moisture issues in a lot of interstitial wall cavities with those plastic vapor barriers and foam, even if it is a code requirement.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

My beef with the Holmes character is he may be setting expectations for home inspection which are way out of wack with reality. It's reality TV, folks.
    Face it, real home inspection makes pretty humdrum TV.

He calls his new show "Holmes Inspection". but he's still a renovation contractor going in to fix all the bad stuff. As Ray says, that would be a conflict of interest for a real Home Inspector.

Fans of the show know what walls look like when the drywall's all been smashed off, so maybe that's good.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    He calls his new show "Holmes Inspection". but he's still a renovation contractor going in to fix all the bad stuff. As Ray says, that would be a conflict of interest for a real Home Inspector.
    As long as somebody doesn't inflate or embellish their findings and isn't doing anything that isn't needed, I don't see where the conflict of interest exists.

Just because there is a conflict of interest does not mean there is wrong doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    As long as somebody doesn't inflate or embellish their findings and isn't doing anything that isn't needed, I don't see where the conflict of interest exists.
    It comes down to the basic Code of Ethics for home inspection professionals. Sure, a trustworthy person could inspect the home, find a legit problem, then charge a reasonable and fair fee to repair it. But the possibility of abuse is there, and that could be the perception. Especially if you go in with sledgehammers.

www.allsafehome.ca

Just because there is a conflict of interest does not mean there is wrong doing.
    Nope. But it would be wrong for anybody that adheres to the standards and the Code of Ethics.

www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Nope. But it would be wrong for anybody that adheres to the standards and the Code of Ethics.

As John is saying (in different ways): A conflict of interest does not actually mean anyone did anything wrong, only that a "conflict" of "interests" exists, which in and of itself is to be avoided as it could appear wrong doing was actually done, and, besides, most associations forbid it, which makes it "wrong" in and of itself. (I am sure John will correct me if I messed up what he was saying. )

Keep this in mind: "The APPEARANCE of a conflict of interest is often times equally as bad as any ACTUAL conflict of interest."

Doing inspections TO FIND PROBLEMS and then CORRECTING THE PROBLEMS has, at a minimum, the APPEARANCE of a conflict of interest.

With Holmes, though ... it is TV plain and simple, and TV viewers do not perceive that there is a conflict of interest as they are interested in WHAT is done, not that he is actually LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO FIX and then fixing it - THEY EXPECT THAT. One could say, then, that the TV viewer EXPECTS the conflict of interest but sees it as being in their best interest - which is not a conflict in their mind.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Foam insulation has been around for decades if there are supposed problems with it I haven't seen any research espousing it.

The other note worthy aspect of Holmes Inspection is the lack of background of what the inspector actually reported and whether or not the client actually acted on the inspectors advice/report.

Mr. Holmes was on Dr. Oz and introduced as a mold and asbestos expert, but in reality he has no background in these areas.

Mr. Holmes was also in Copenhagen for the world conference on climate change and more or less was inferred he was somehow a climate change expert.

Mr. Holmes also intends to change home inspection standards as he claims they are inferior, yet when I questioned him on a radio show up here on this matter and stated that the current codes have been tested in a court of law, and that he was likely using current industry standards, my call was quickly terminated.

We should all be so lucky to have such a great PR machine behind us.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post

Looks like that link is selling his videos.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Ray, since you both operate in S. Ontario, I think you ought to make him an Honorary member of your HI association. Give him a medallion to wear, "Hon. member of Ray's association" blah blah.
    Invite him to speak at your meetings and ask if you can exchange weblinks.

He is the consumer watchdog and we want him on our side.

www.allsafehome.ca

John,

Holmes was invited to speak to at a CAHPI conference a number of years ago and he charged quite a bit of money. Many members were upset at the amount he charged and did not think it was very good value. Further Holmes then turned around and dissed the association and home inspectors as a whole in the media.

Strangely Holmes Inspections is hiring inspectors from OAHI, CAHPI, NACHI to conduct inspections under the Holmes banner. Yet his expose on CBC failed to mention that he draws upon inspectors from the associations he exposed.

He also charges quite a bit for an inspection and takes half the fee. You must use Holmes contract, you cannot pre screen clients, must wear a uniform, submit your report to Holmes who then sends it out to client, you must have $2 million E&O, a infrared camera, use Horizon report, and those inspectors dumb enough to work for him are following the ASHI standards.

Recently a realtor was telling me that a home buyer hired a Holmes approved inspector was charged $700 on a less than 3k sq. ft. home, the inspector was a nitpicker, was at the house for four hours. Subsequently the purchaser did not purchase the house due to the report. My question was is there a discount on the inspection of the next house? I some how doubt it and I also doubt the purchaser would not use Holmes for any subsequent inspection given the price.

Mark Aakjar Guest

I agree,
    I was told he has different levels of home inspections... whatever that means... He can be overly cocky he has the means and methods for doing so ie his own TV show to promote his business. He's an intelligent guy however I do not agree with him knocking our profession and means and methods of practice it is unprofessional and incorrect to say our standards are essentially useless.

Recently a realtor was telling me that a home buyer hired a Holmes approved inspector was charged $700 on a less than 3k sq. ft. home, the inspector was a nitpicker, was at the house for four hours. Subsequently the purchaser did not purchase the house due to the report. My question was is there a discount on the inspection of the next house? I some how doubt it and I also doubt the purchaser would not use Holmes for any subsequent inspection given the price.
    Why would you give a discount to a client for the second inspection? Is the second, third or more inspection less work, less detailed, less XXX?

Another inspector was asked by a Flipper to offer a discount because he was going to be using the inspector multiple times. The inspected offered a 20% discount. The inspector explained the first 4 were full price and the 5 was free.

Holmes on Homes Inspection website lists their pricing. They have basically 2 levels, with and without full house thermal imaging.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

The $700 inspection is already over priced, on a $500K house.

Huh?

By who's standard?

That is what I mean by many home inspectors have put themselves in a box, closed the lid tight that it is so dark in there they do not even know they are in the box.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Remember the inspector is only getting half the fee to begin with, he is not getting $700. Market conditions are an important factor in the pricing.

Remember the inspector is only getting half the fee to begin with, he is not getting $700.
    It does not matter how much THE INSPECTOR is getting, it matter how much THE CLIENT is paying.

Your position is like saying that I did not get what I charged because IRS got so much of it, thus it was not worth it FOR THE CLIENT ... ... your position is not making any sense at all.

Market conditions are an important factor in the pricing.
    Yep, and YOU ARE MISSING THAT VERY THING!

If he offers a $10,000 inspection and he has clients ready, willing, and able to pay it ... who are you to say:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand
    You are talking a good game, but you are not listening to what you are saying:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Raymond,

I had a call come in the other day, I could not answer so it went to my voice mail.

I did not bother to call the people back (an attorney's office) based on their question.

They asked, and ALL they asked, was "I'd like to know what your rates are." NOTHING ELSE, not if what they needed was within my area of expertise, NOTHING ELSE.

I have learned that if the first thing someone asks is price, and if that is THE ONLY THING THEY ASK, then it is highly likely that one of two things will happen:
    a) They will spend time trying to talk me down in price, say they will compromise what they want me to do, and then expect everything they first talked about.
    b) They will agree to my rates and then not pay in a timely matter, or not pay at all. I can make more money with less effort by NOT doing that work. 'More money" because I did not spend any money on gas, time, or supplies, and 'less effort' because I did not spend any effort on that work.

Is it "possible" they may have had something good and worth it? Sure, and every week it is "possible" that I can win the lottery too. NEITHER is likely to happen.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Pointing out that your inpsection fee is cheaper than someone else hardly seems like a selling point i would want to make. I think you would want the client to think they are getting a more knowledgeable inspector with experience and willing to do a thorough job.

It does not matter how much THE INSPECTOR is getting, it matter how much THE CLIENT is paying.
    Yes the client is paying far and above the going rate for the market in this area for the same service which can be bought for much less. In the end it does matter how much the inspector gets because his overhead is higher due to Holmes requiring the inspector to have all the bells and whistles which are not needed.

Your position is like saying that I did not get what I charged because IRS got so much of it, thus it was not worth it FOR THE CLIENT ... ... your position is not making any sense at all.
    That is totally irrelevant and does not make sense. The inspector is taking all the liability while homes collects a fee for the booking and nothing else.

Quote:

Yep, and YOU ARE MISSING THAT VERY THING!
    IS THAT RIGHT?

If he offers a $10,000 inspection and he has clients ready, willing, and able to pay it ... who are you to say:
    From what I gather his inspection business is not flourishing due to a number of items, these include pricing, recruitment of inspectors, standards and equipment requirements, liability issues, and yes market conditions of which you have no concept for this area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond Wand

You are talking a good game, but you are not listening to what you are saying:
    Really?

In regards to my pricing I don't entertain price shoppers. My fee is higher then my competitors, but I am not about to out price myself out of the market either. And I charge more so I work less. Do I book every request that comes in? No certainly not.

If purchasers new that they were paying half the fee to Holmes they would not entertain a Holmes inspection, and I say that based on feedback from my clients. Sure if Holmes can get that price great, good for him. I don't think his inspection enterprise will last too long, the consumer is not stupid, nor are a number of inspectors who have been approached to work for the Holmes group and said no thanks, not under the conditions stipulated.

Further whatever my fee is and what discounts I give is really no ones business but my own and a business decision, but I can say my discount is not anymore than $25 if that makes some of you happy.

Raymond,

I'm not trying to beat you up ... all that noise and movement you are feeling there in your dark box is me trying to pry the lid off and shine some light into it so you can help from the inside and get the lid off.

Allow me to re-word what I have been saying:

YOU are in an enviable position as YOU have a market moving force up there moving the home inspection market UPWARD - DON'T FIGHT IT - help push the home inspection market upward with Holmes on Homes.

USE Holmes to YOUR advantage by pushing the home inspection market upward with him.

He's driving uphill and all you have to do is act like you are pushing, when in fact you are being pulled along ... enjoy the ride.

You will be better off for it in the long run.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry

I understand what you are saying, but I don't like to ride coat tails especially those of Holmes.

However I set my own trend with great service, thoroughness, length in business, reputation and pricing.

Did I mention my base fee is higher then that of my competitors even though its lower then Holmes?

Cheers,

Yes the client is paying far and above the going rate for the market in this area for the same service which can be bought for much less.
    Huh?

You are a true lost cause.

WHY do YOU care what the client is paying?

IF the client wants to PAY MORE for MORE (and "MORE" can mean many things), then it is THE CLIENT who makes that decision. For YOU to make that decision simply cuts you out of offering more and getting paid more. I guess I need to put the crow bar down and let the box lid fall back into place so you can remain in your comfortable dark box.

In the end it does matter how much the inspector gets because his overhead is higher due to Holmes requiring the inspector to have all the bells and whistles which are not needed.
    1) It does not matter how much the inspector makes or what his overhead is because THAT inspector is nothing more than 'an employee' like that of a large national inspection firm.

"Holmes requiring the inspector to have all the bells and whistles which are not needed."

I can see why you do not want to get better and do more, or be able to charge more. WHATEVER THE CLIENT WANTS AND IS WILLING TO PAY FOR is "needed", but you don't get that.

That is totally irrelevant and does not make sense.
    YOUR position is totally irrelevant and does not make sense. WHY are your fighting SO HARD to KEEP PRICES DOWN?

From what I gather his inspection business is not flourishing due to a number of items, these include pricing, recruitment of inspectors, standards and equipment requirements, liability issues, and yes market conditions of which you have no concept for this area.
    And you may be losing a window of opportunity in pushing him/him dragging you up in the effort to improve home inspections and the home inspection fee - but you simply cannot see that.

Allow me to drive that last nail in the lid of your box back in, sorry I tried to show you how to get out of your box, I did not realize you had become so accustomed to the dark that the light would be blinding.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry

Stop being over analytical. Its a discussion and you always have to try and justify your opinions. You are many things, but you are not an marketing expert and please stop trying to convey that you are.

I did not indicate that I was trying to keep prices down, you did. And believe me if I was trying to keep prices down I would lower them.

Cheers.

Stop being over analytical.
    Better to over analyze than to ignore all the obvious signs.

you are not an marketing expert and please stop trying to convey that you are.

I am not a marketing expert, and I am not trying to make you think I am one, I WAS (remember, "WAS" is past tense) trying to get you to see the light of day as to what you were describing as a "bad thing" was something which could create a "good thing" if someone wanted to take it and run with it. YOU do not, I understand that, and I've already apologized for trying to pry the lid off your box and let in the light of day - what else do you want ... do you want me to attach a lock hasp to the lid so no one can try to help again?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

If I could get people to pay me $700.00 for a home inspection, there's no way I'd say no. So what if every other inspector in the area charges anywhere from $300 - $350 for the same type of house. If you can sell your service and get consumers to agree to a higher fee like this, isn't that what being in business is about? Maximize earning and revenue? I'd love to be able to charge more per inspection than I do right now but there is a threshold in this area as to how much the general population is willing to pay for a home inspection.

But like Jerry said, we should be happy there is somebody out there who is RAISING the expectation of how much a home inspection should cost. The value and accuracy of the inspection Holmes provides is out of our hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Huh?

1) It does not matter how much the inspector makes or what his overhead is because THAT inspector is nothing more than 'an employee' like that of a large national inspection firm.
    Please let us know which national inspection firm you're talking about.

I've worked for several national inspection firms, none required uniforms and all provided the E&O, liability and workers comp insurance. Some even provided the inspection equipment and a brand new pickup that I was allowed to use for personal use.

I think you've gotten "employee" confused with "franchise".

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Ken,

Holmes inspectors are not employees, they are independent contractors.

Ken,
    Holmes inspectors are not employees, they are independent contractors.
    Let me guess the uniform. Is it brown overalls and a T shirt?

I expect people are willing to pay more because they are confident that they will get a topnotch inspection backed up by the celebrity himself. If anything is missed by the inspector, will Holmes "make it right"? You bet he will. A lot of people go with the franchises for that same reason.

I watched bits of "Holmes Inspection" the other day. Between breaks in the football game. The woman bought a 100 year old home and had mega problems with it. Holmes told her she should have had it inspected by "a good home inspector". I see no harm there.

He had the ceiling pulled down and described defects that no HI would ever find, like hidden j-boxes, and a gas line in a heating duct. That's a bit of a worry, because we can't have clients expecting us to go to that extreme. "Sorry, I can't pull the drywall down until after you buy it."

Then they spray-foamed the kneewalls upstairs and left the old insulation in the rafter bays but, hey, the lady got her house replumbed and rewired, gutters, floors, paint, the works. Happy ending. Think you can compete with that?

www.allsafehome.ca

Philip Guest

I saw an episode where someone had cut off the furnance vent and installed a deck over it. His solution was to put four 90'a on it before it went through the soffit for the code of 11 inches above the roof line. Same episode they installed the sky light wrong.

I expect people are willing to pay more because they are confident that they will get a topnotch inspection backed up by the celebrity himself. If anything is missed by the inspector, will Holmes "make it right"? You bet he will. A lot of people go with the franchises for that same reason.
    Holmes may not make it right but throw it back on the inspector as it is the inspector who has the E&O insurance. Likely Holmes will throw you to the lions to fend for yourself.

Referring to his pricing he is actually charging $595 for a single family home upto 2500 sq ft. Again the inspector is working for a lot less, and the inspector is trained by the associations and not by Holmes. This to me is misleading as I bet many a consumer will think Mike is training inspectors.

Mike Holmes Inspections | Leading Home Inspectors - Essential Holmes Inspection

Referring to his pricing he is actually charging $595 for a single family home upto 2500 sq ft. Again the inspector is working for a lot less, and the inspector is trained by the associations and not by Holmes. This to me is misleading as I bet many a consumer will think Mike is training inspectors.

Mike Holmes Inspections | Leading Home Inspectors - Essential Holmes Inspection
    Raymond,

I do not understand why you continue to rant on about someone trying to raise the bar and the price for home inspections.

Referring to his pricing he is actually charging $595 for a single family home upto 2500 sq ft. Again the inspector is working for a lot less,
    Again, WHY does that matter to YOU?

and the inspector is trained by the associations and not by Holmes.
    I looked through the link YOU provided and I see NOTHING in it which says anything about him training the inspectors ... he only APPROVES the inspectors "Mike Holmes Approved home inspectors".

This to me is misleading as I bet many a consumer will think Mike is training inspectors.
    Please point out where it says he trains them, I am completely missing that part.

You are beginning to sound like you applied to be a Mike Holmes Approved Inspector and were turned down ... not saying you did and were, only that it is "beginning to sound" that way with your continued rants about it.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Does everyone understand that Holmes Inspection is not just a company selling home inspections? My understanding is that the Holmes Organization finds local home inspectors to operate under its umbrella, then sub-contracts them to do inspections. They do pre-purchase home inspections, but they are also doing inspections of housing developments/projects so developers can "ensure a first-rate finished project."

As for pricing, basic home inspections, more per square foot, and more again if the home is pre-1955. Extended home inspections priced on similar basis.

That said.... I would love to see this industry develop and mature so that all persons involved could/would price for a comprehensive quality inspection that truly serves the needs of their client and represents a comprehensive evaluation of the home. But unfortunately what we have is: Inspectors needing to do two or three inspections per day to make a living at the price s/he charges; that price being determined by what every other inspector is charging based on some perception of what the clients think a home inspection is or what benefit they think they are getting out of a home inspection.

(That client's expectation of what a home inspector should do being proportional to the value of the perceived short coming of the inspection, and inversely proportional to the amount of money they are willing to spend on it.)

Egbert Jager
    Diamond Home Inspection
    http://www.diamondhomeinspection.ca

Jerry

You seem to perpetually have a problem with anyone who doesn't side with your myopic thinking.

Facts are facts, get over yourself!

John Steinke Guest

This thread has been a real experience for me.

First off, when I start a thread I have become accustomed to some folks ignoring the topic, and instead pointing out all the evil I represent, might represent, or plan to represent. Instead, this time it seems like it's become 'pile on Mike' time!

Whatever Mike's own flaws may be, here's your chance to listen. Go to a gathering of any group, and they usually turn ito group hugs, where everyone chants how wonderful they are. With a show like Mike's, you have a chance to hear what people really think.

Visit any HI forum, and you're sure to hear all manner of representations as to how wonderful home inspectors are. Hate to bear the sad tidings, but that high opinion is not held outside the HI community. At best, HI's are seen as a necessary evil.

Returning to the specific episode I mentioned at the start of the thread, I am certain that anyone at this forum will find themselves in complete agreement with Mike - at least, regarding THAT house and THAT inspector.

It's easier to be critical than correct. When all's done, Mike has to put the house back together - rather than just write a report.

I made a caution as to various technical statements Mike makes at the start of this thread. A lot of what 'sounds wrong' to us has, in my research, proved to be compliant with the rules and practices where he operates. In other instances, he has deliberately gone against requirements and specifications; in each instance he has made his case for doing so.

Watching the show also allows you the opportunity to see how building practices vary, both over time and by region.

Oddly enough, Mike agrees with the idea of having an inspection; he just has some issues with the business. A contractor invariably is required to have some sort of bond and guarantee; HI's seem to be definite about only two things: they expect the check to clear, and they're not responsible for anything, period, ever. We've all seen the posts here by HI's who were simply stunned the first time they saw K&T, sawdust insulation, or a rubble foundation. Kind of takes some of wind out of the sails, I'd say. Maybe there's not so much to be said about taking tests, and a need for a proper apprenticeship? But I wander ...

Mentioning Holmes' other business ventures is irrelevant to this thread. Likewise, simply being a TV production doesn't make it a bad thing. Instead, look at it as an opportunity to further your own knowledge.

Holmes cleans up after 'the other guy.' I've worked alongside 'the other guy' far too many times. The crooks and pretenders are out there, of that there is no doubt.

You'll see Mike advocating inspections, pulling permits, and hiring real contractors. You'll see him stressing the need for a contract, and identifying some of the bureaucratic areas that need some work. You'll also see some jobs where the homeowner did everything right, and the job still went south. You'll see how a 'simple' job can honestly mushroom beyond belief.

Jerry

You seem to perpetually have a problem with anyone who doesn't side with your myopic thinking.
    Quite incorrect.

Facts are facts, get over yourself!
    You seem to be the one having a problem accepting facts you don't like.

Seems that you are the one who needs to get over yourself.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    I've said it on this forum before, but at the risk of repeating myself, Holmes is a well-connected schmuck who puts on a good show for the hoi polloi, but would not make a wart on a real contractor's ass.
    That's a very strong opinion you have there, AD. Has he snubbed you in some way?

He is the champion of the down-trodden homeowners who got royally ripped off by slimy builders and realturds. He saves the home and rides into the sunset, no $$$ is exchanged.
    He's the Canadian Robin Hood and he's been to New Orleans, too. Watch your mouth.

www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    JK: While it may be so that Holmes has inadvertently produced positive results, it is certainly not due to his knowledge of home building. He's just another media celebrity schmuck like Bob Vila.

But that's OK, you don't have to take his poster down from your bedroom wall.
    It's on the ceiling, but ok, thanks.

www.allsafehome.ca