Tim Moreira Guest

Default From the old board, What's this called?

The area in the red triangle has a name and I don't think it is saddle or cricket.
    What is this area called?
    I'll have the plumbing leak answer once I get done with this report.
    Click for photo (55048 Bytes)

------------------
    badair
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes
    ADAIR INSPECTION TREC # 4563
    EDI: EIFS-MA TX # 39 DFW Home Inspector Dallas Fort Worth Texas Home Inspector Real Estate Inspector

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: From the old board, What's this called?

Tim,

I always called in a cricket.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Richard Rushing Guest

The section highlighted is a cricket that turns into the cricket valley...
    RR

Brendan Ryan Guest

According to the glossary feature found in the Hot Links drop down menu on the Inspection Radio tool bar (I just had to use it, this site is great), it is neither a saddle or a cricket. We refer to it as a restricted valley, or more aptly a leak waiting to happen caused by poor design. Although there should be a membrane such as Ice & Water Sheild beneath it we all know what normally is not present or done improperly in areas we cannot see. Problems here include water damming and deterioration of siding and trim caused by build up of debris, ice & snow. Low slope shingles allow water to back up under them. Commonly there is an open end gutter discharging the rain water from this half of the roof field above compounding the problem. Add all that water to this roofs run off all being fed to a funneled discharge point and it will over shoot or over flow the small section of gutter found below it resulting in a wet basement. If you cannot tell, I do not think much of these features.

Cool Re: From the old board, What's this called?

We would install a 6' metal pan that would turn up 8" at the bottom a 5" at the top on the wall. We would tell the siding installers to keep there stuff 4" up at the bottom and taper to 3" at the top then to 2 after that point. We would also extend the pan past the corner and make a ear so the water doesn't run down the face of the front wall. It would typically extend out 3" or more.

It's amazing that they design this crap and we have to figure out how to make it leak proof. 60% of the time leakage occurs from siding installers nailing close to the bottom on the walls and not leaving there proper height on the siding. 25% of the time the brick masons would drive a nail in the pan to hold there string line. Siding installers would also do this on occasion to hold there materials so it won't slide down the roof. 15% would be roofer error because there stupid! (I know I was one)

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Jim Holl Guest

I call those areas a SWALE.

A broad and low slope area which leads water from drained surfaces to a storage or discharge system.

Always double check the flashing around them!

I'd call it a change in roof pitch. What catches my eye is the lack of clearance that wood siding (appears to be wood siding) has from the roof covering. Wodd wicks water almost as fast as stucco.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

If thge upper section would be considered a valley, which it is, why would this not be a valley? Different pitch, same valley.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    If thge upper section would be considered a valley, which it is, why would this not be a valley? Different pitch, same valley.
    A valley is where two roofs meet.

That 'has' a valley, but 'is not' a valley.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Hello,

Here in New England, we call that a "choke point" that restricts roof drainage.