Ron Bishop Guest

Default what type of material is this insulation?

Can anyone tell me spcifically what type of material this insulation is made of?

thank you kindly...

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: what type of material is this insulation?

Rock wool, mineral wool, & slag wool building insulation products; which insulations do not contain asbestos?
    Kind of looks like mineral wool, Whats the age of the home.
    Did you smell it?

Ron Bishop Guest

1969. I didn't smell it. I have been doing inspections for over 6 years, but this is the first time that I have come across this product. I beleive that it may ce a carcinogen. What do you think?

Kinda looks like my X's meatloaf, without the catsup.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Looks like rock wool to me too. We have it all over attics around here.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Can anyone tell me spcifically what type of material this insulation is made of?
    I agree that the underlying insulation appears to be ordinary rock wool.

I have been doing inspections for over 6 years, but this is the first time that I have come across this product. I beleive that it may ce a carcinogen. What do you think?
    Now you asked that follow-up question, what, three minutes after it was first suggested to you that the product appeared to be rock wool. I can't imagine you took time to research/explore/read what rock wool IS before you made that statement, but perhaps you did. Perhaps you weren't asking about the underlying rock wool.

It is less clear what has settled on top. Your location, & form of question on the subject of a potential causal relationship of cancer, at first appeared benign (and the timing/response somewhat "lazy"), but then as I thought on it further and recalled (perhaps not exactly correctly) California has some of its "own opinions" or declarations/determinations as to just what is and is not carcenogenic or potentially carcinogenic, etc. and has more regulations regarding goods than most, I revisited my initial (and obvious) cursory reaction (just rock wool, why concerned?) upon viewing of your post and picture.

Although it appears to be ordinary wood scrap, curls, possibly engineered wood particles and "saw dust", you're in California. I suppose there is the possibility that some of that tan/goldish debris might also be popped vermiculite.

IIRC "CALIFORNIA" considers ordinary "saw dust" and "wood fibers" a "cancer causing substance" or "injurious to health" if inhaled, so much that IIRC warning language is legislated (can't recall if its occupation related, consumer tools and/or consumer proucts related). IIRC further, if the wood product has been treated, engineered (glues, finishes), especially with materials "California" considers additionally potentially injurious or hazardous to heath, they further require restrictions or warnings and precaution statements. How that affects the performance of the HI occupation (occupational safety and/or liability) or HI reporting, or for that matter, real estate transaction disclosures, I admit I do not know.

Some (quite a bit in the past) expanded vermiculite insulation (esp. mined from Montana and IIRC Vermont, or nearby) is ACM.You were there, and had a 3-dimensional view, as well as potentially had other sensory information (besides visual and smell - such as touch) so would be in a better position to determine. If you have no familiarity with rock wool insulation, I encourage you to review written materials and acquire some confirmed samples (both new and old). What is old is new again, and in certain applications the best product (in various forms) to use (from present options), either by itself, or in conjunction with other methods.

I have encountered both treated saw-dust type wrapped batt insulation and vermiculite insulation in attics. Both would be counter-productive atop rock wool. IME it would not be uncommon to find pre-existing rock wool insulation to have been rolled up and set aside within the space, the area filled with poured vermiculite, then the rock wool reused atop.

It is not uncommon for particulate matter to be deposited atop previously installed exposed insulation from later activities within, adjacent, or above a previously insulated space.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 07-03-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Maybe rockwool, or just dirty fiberglass.

Brent Lerwill, Coos Bay, Oregon

Post Re: what type of material is this insulation?

It's rock wool or mineral wool. Commonly found in older homes, no concerns with it.