Eric Shuman Guest

Default TREC to require fingerprinting

I tagged this issue on to a previous thread but am reposting it out of curiosity.

The TREC newsletter stated that starting in January 2008, finger printing will be required of new and renewing license applicants. Does anyone know the reason for this and why a background check cannot suffice? I have no criminal record or anything to hide but this seems a little bit extreme. What's next, a DNA sample and proof of health insurance? Perhaps a monitoring bracelet?

Are the R.E. agents going to have to be fingerprinted as well?

I am wondering if any other states with H.I. licensing require fingerprint records or, for that matter, any of the other professions that are licensed, i.e., plumbers, electricians, doctors, etc.

Philip S., maybe you have some insight into this?

Thanks,

Eric

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: TREC to require fingerprinting

Maybe a little squirt on the renewal application will be suffice.

Eric Shuman Guest

Rick,

ROTHFLMAO!!

Richard Stanley Guest

"Individuals applying for a real estate license will require a more extensive criminal background check, including fingerprinting. All current licensees will need to provide this information on their next license renewal."

I interpret that as applicble to RE sales licenses only - not inspectors.

Bold and underlining is mine.

Eric Shuman Guest

Richard,

I did not read the entire news letter but noticed in a large text box on the front page that said "persons applying for and renewing a license..." Now that I re-read it I see where it says "real estate license" in the section above.

Still wonder if it appplies to us?

Thanks,

Eric

Mark Nahrgang Guest

Seems more than a little intrusive to me.

If a Government agency wants to require that for an employment application it's one thing.

This is tantamount on collecting evidence on someone who isn't even a suspect in a crime. It's on the lines of knocking on your door and searching your home to see what they can find. I'd be fighting this one tooth and nail. What's next?

I don't see a thing wrong with a state requiring finger prints or a background check for anyone who is going into folks homes that they do not know. I'm sure we have many folks in our profession who have a past history of theft or more serious crimes that really should not be entering folks homes under the guise of the trustworthy home inspector.

The same should go for all Appraisers, Real Estate Agents, Pest Control Contractors, Alarm Company folks, Cable TV, Etc, etc, etc. But then again if all of these service related profession had to be finger printed and background checked we might not have anyone working in these fields!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Richard Rushing Guest

As an independent in-surance adjuster for four different firms that all require their adjusters to have fingerprinting conducted, drug testing and a criminal background check... I have no problem with this at all.

Proving you are not wanted by the law and not a druggie is absolutely no infringement on any of my rights. I choose to work in this profession and submit to any of the normal requirements needed to verify my character. In turn, I'm compensated for by work accordingly. Works for me...

I just don't see that providing this same type information for keeping my Professional Real Estate License is any different. It's just another means of proving that you are a professional and can be trusted in other peoples homes and with their property.

Some may say... "Well, isn't that what bonding is for?"

Nope, bonding is for after you leave the premisis. Proving you are worthy of entering is all together another issue.

Richard

Rich

Last edited by Richard Rushing; 07-11-2007 at 02:16 PM.

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I don't see a thing wrong with a state requiring finger prints or a background check for anyone who is going into folks homes that they do not know. I'm sure we have many folks in our profession who have a past history of theft or more serious crimes that really should not be entering folks homes under the guise of the trustworthy home inspector.

Wouldn't just be easier and more cost effective if you just whipped out your conceal carry permit? Dare I say... kill two birds with one stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burkeson View Post
    Wouldn't just be easier and more cost effective if you just whipped out your conceal carry permit? Dare I say... kill two birds with one stone.
    Nope, I don't even own a handgun, but I do have a nice collection of shotguns. Kind of hard to conceal a 12 gauge!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Deleted Account Guest

Nope, I don't even own a handgun, but I do have a nice collection of shotguns. Kind of hard to conceal a 12 gauge!

There are other reasons to obtain a CCW permit apart from carrying a handgun, say you want to carry a switchblade knife or a set of Nunchucks, or maybe you are a high-tech guy and feel safe with a stun-gun. That is why the license is for Conceal Carry Weapons and not Conceal Carry Handguns. The 2nd Amendment is what makes the first one possible.

It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence.

Harvey Hempelstern Guest

I don't see a thing wrong with a state requiring finger prints or a background check for anyone who is going into folks homes that they do not know.

Then, certainly, you would support a law that required all prospective buyers attending an Open House be given the same scrutiny. Correct?

I emailed TREC staff to see if this fingerprint requirement will apply to inspectors. I don't think it does but I am not sure what to think these days where TREC and Texas state politics are concerned.

I will post what I learn here when I get a response.

Eric Shuman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Stojanik View Post
    I emailed TREC staff to see if this fingerprint requirement will apply to inspectors. I don't think it does but I am not sure what to think these days where TREC and Texas state politics are concerned.

I will post what I learn here when I get a response.
    Thanks Philip, my feelings exactly with the Texas politics.

As far as finger printing goes, to each their own but I do not feel that I need to submit my fingerprints to prove my character. I do that every day with the way I conduct my business and myself. I can pass any background check because of that.

Eric

A few years ago my church asked anyone that was going to work with the youth, or drive the church van to submit to a background check. There were a couple people that decided they would no longer volunteer. Most of us had little objection.

If fingerprinting was required to get my license, I wouldn't have a big problem with it.

(I'm not sure how guns got into the conversation, I'm guessing that Joe B had some comment. I have his comments blocked so I don't have to suffer thru his ramblings (or that other imposter)).
    I just love that blocking feature. Thanks Brian!!!!!
    JF

Ron Dawes Guest

If it applies to inspectors and realtors and appraisers then so be it but if it is only inspectors then it sucks. There is no reason why we should be singled out as a higher risk category.

The fingerprinting thing does not apply to inspectors. I ask TREC about it and they said...

Phil,

The fingerprinting requirement applies only to brokers and salespeople.
    Inspectors will still have the same background check that has always been
    done upon application, and all licensees are required to notify TREC within
    30 days of conviction of or a guilty/nolo plea to most kinds of crimes.

Devon V. Bijansky
    Staff Attorney
    Enforcement Division
    (512) 465-3960
    fax (512) 465-3962