Thread: Garage

Default Garage

2002 house I inspected today. I couldn't find the code for the garage slab being less than 4 inches below the level of the house. Anyone have the code?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Kary Krismer Guest

Default Re: Garage

I have no idea whether that's code or not, but if it is I would guess you'd measure it from the other end of the garage, assuming the issue is water intrusion from the outside.

The issue is vehicle or gas fumes entering the house.

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

It is basically a matter of the 'code of common sense' ... one would want the garage floor to be a grade level so they do not have to drive up over a step to get into the garage, and they also want the floor to be at least 6" or more above grade to help keep water intrusion from the ground from entering the house (and frame houses have the problem of requiring the framing to be that much above grade anyway), so ...

... I guess you could have a sloping lot and drive into the garage and then have the grade fall way from the house, but if you don't have a sloping lot which will allow for that layout - 'common sense' tells you there is going to be a problem at one end or the other if the garage is level with the house.

Yeah, I know, you also have all those odors and potential gasoline vapor build-up which could seep past the house/garage door and into the living space.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com