Sheng Hsiang Chou Guest

Default corbelled brick veneer wall corner cracks

Has anyone seen this type of problem on a corbelled brick veneer wall corner? Is the crack caused by the inherent weakness in this type of corbelling detail? Notice in the photo, the crack starts at the top corner, just under the soffit overhang. Are metal ties typically used at the corner areas? If so, is it possible these ties have rusted and have loosened? Or is it possible that the way in which the bricks are weaved together, vertically, at the corner every 10 bricks is too weak (shown in blue circled areas)?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: corbelled brick veneer wall corner cracks

I suspect this wall corner area has been covered with ice and run off from an ice dam above for portions of more than one Winter. Water enters and freezes continuing the destructive cycle, weight of ice further stresses; bricks themselves continue to expand due to moisture; hard, portland based mortar.

Insufficient ventillation (that punched sofit panel is very restrictive)overhang protection (depth), thermal break/insulation, poor architectual design, roof slope, eavestrough/protection, for region (ON) and exposure.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 07-08-2010 at 08:53 AM.

Sheng Hsiang Chou Guest

Default Re: corbelled brick veneer wall corner cracks

Thanks everyone for your insights! Given the many possibilities, I will refrain from drawing any conclusions without further investigation and/or monitoring of the situation.