Thread: wet insulation

LauraP Guest

Default wet insulation

Recently had a new metal roof put on our home and have had several problems with leaking during rain storms. The latest: water is dripping inside my microwave - which is installed above the stove. So water must be getting in or around the vent?? My biggest concern is the attic. With all these leaks, I'm assuming the insulation is getting wet before it even gets through to our ceiling. My husband's response is "It will dry". I'm concerned about mold, rotting wood, etc. We have the blown in insulation. Who do I contact to take a look?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: wet insulation

I'd start with getting the roof to stop leaking.... I'm guessing you have notified the installer?

I'd agree with your husband to a point... if it gets wet once or twice it will probably dry out. But, if the water is repeated it could easily mold. Also, once it gets wet it is pretty much useless as it compresses down to just about nothing. I'd just throw out what's wet/damaged for now and once the roof is repaired, replace it. I'd expect the roofer to chip in, too.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraP View Post
    Who do I contact to take a look?

A: The roofing contractor who put the roof on for the leaks.

B: An insulation contractor to check the insulation and remove and replace all wet insulation.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LauraP View Post
    Recently had a new metal roof put on our home and have had several problems with leaking during rain storms.
    In my area you must give the contractor that put the roof on a chance to make things right, since you have had several leaks I would have a third party check the roof after the repairs are made, this is of course assuming the original roof contractor will make the necessary repairs.