Thread: What is this?

mathew stouffer Guest

Default What is this?

House was built in 95 and this was clamped to the main water line. Line is copper.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: What is this?

It's a magnet supposedly designed to reduce hard water.

mathew stouffer Guest

LOL. What a piece of crap, all the faucets were clogged with hard water deposits.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Concerned this plate/equipment bonding is being used improperly for water pipe bonding. See green insulated conductor looping to left of plate behind tank?

Leak & corrosion at pressure regulator coupling in first picture to the right. Screen likely not serviced either. Appears might have been spray painted. Note dissimilar metals in contact with copper and apparent contact with floor slab and possibly CI house sewer connection (ABS connection just before slab).

Question choice of materials/appropriateness for copper potable plumbing, i.e. ball valve - note rusting/corrosion on valve handle/stem. Operable with proximity to floor?

Should be no contact or jumpered first six feet for made electrode/GEC. See green insulated conductor - is connection/bonding location accessible or hidden by pressure tank?

Note crack in slab. Vulnerable area to freezing? Heated inside area/outside exposure compared to grade/freezing?

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 07-08-2010 at 08:27 AM.

mathew stouffer Guest

H.G you can not see it in the pic but the water line comes out of the floor in the left side of pic 1 and that is where the bonding connection is and then the conductor runs up the wall.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    H.G you can not see it in the pic but the water line comes out of the floor in the left side of pic 1 and that is where the bonding connection is and then the conductor runs up the wall.
    Yes Mathew, I see/saw (I actually believe I see/saw what I think I'm seeing, the bend towards the floor and location of bond, better in the second pic) but the question is: IS IT ACCESSIBLE? Note Tank is in the way (can't put on my "Peck" Brand Inspector Specks and Hat first, one broke, other lost ).

Did you catch comments/questions regarding the red-handle (flamables/hazards (i.e. NG, Propane, etc.), generally not potable water - and usually not designed/approved for potable water) shut-off valve? & visable corrosion? Operation direction/clearance?

Questioning potable plumbing.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 07-08-2010 at 02:06 PM.