Default Exposed Structure Damage Concerns

I have an upcoming inspection on a framed and partially roofed structure that has been exposed to the elements for close to two years. It is in a development that was halted due to the current banking issues.

This inspection is a bit out of the norm for a typical home inspection, so I would like to be primed for possible concerns. My concerns already are the deterioration of the wood like the OSB sheathing, sub floor, mold and warp-age.
    What other concerns can I consider.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: Exposed Structure Damage Concerns

I did an inspection on a house that had sat open to the weather for about the same period of time. The house had been completed when I did the inspection. The house was three story and had solid, poured concrete walls (the first builder was a masonry contractor) so the only thing that was wood when it was open to the weather was the first floor system. The new builder had replaced the sub-floor but the floor joist were mostly all rotten to one degree or another plus there was mold everywhere in the sealed crawl space. They had sprayed blue mold stuff all over the place so the house had blue colored mold also. I just made a comment that the floor support system was in poor condition due to being exposed to the weather and needed to be repaired by a licensed general contractor. From what I heard later the buyer bought the house in the condition it was in at the time of the inspection. I would expect you will find a lot of the same things except probably worse since this a wood framed house and not concrete like mine was.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

This has nothing to do with original posted question, but something does not make sense to me. James, is there any good reason why that house would not be on a slab. Since it doesnt have a basement, just a crawl space it makes no sense to me to have poured walls, and have a wood floor system.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

James Duffin Guest

No good reason that I know of except the original builder was a masonry contractor and that is what he knew how to do. It is the quietest house I have ever been in....kinda creepy and not that impressive for the amount of work that was involved. The walls were about a foot thick after the inside framing was done to cover the concrete. There was a partial basement. And I was just showing the OP the pictures of the damaged floor joist and with a new sub-floor. Next time I'll leave out the story and just post pictures. Sorry.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

No need to be sorry, just thought it be a common thing in your area.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bob R View Post
    I have an upcoming inspection on a framed and partially roofed structure that has been exposed to the elements for close to two years.

Partially roofed as in half the sheathing is on or half of the shingles are on? Windows and doors installed or any of the other trades started (plumbing, electrical, hvac)?

[quote=Bob R;142203]I have an upcoming inspection on a framed and partially roofed structure that has been exposed to the elements for close to two years.

Bob, check the wall studs these guys can bend and twist and just get plain ugly especially if there is no siding

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    Partially roofed as in half the sheathing is on or half of the shingles are on? Windows and doors installed or any of the other trades started (plumbing, electrical, hvac)?
    The structure is just framed, no windows. The roof is sheathed with about half the shingles on it. There may be some wall sheathing. It's been several months since I last saw it from a distance while doing a draw insp. nearby.

Wow, concrete walls, Great thermal mass in addition to being quiet.

chris mcintyre Guest

The structure is just framed, no windows. The roof is sheathed with about half the shingles on it. There may be some wall sheathing. It's been several months since I last saw it from a distance while doing a draw insp. nearby.

IMO the fact that the doors, windows and house wrap are not installed is a plus (from an inspection point of view). I think the roof sheathing where the felt is torn or missing that would let water in and then be trapped between the felt and the sheathing is a place where hidden damage could be.

Mike Truss Guy Guest

I have an upcoming inspection on a framed and partially roofed structure that has been exposed to the elements for close to two years. It is in a development that was halted due to the current banking issues.

This inspection is a bit out of the norm for a typical home inspection, so I would like to be primed for possible concerns. My concerns already are the deterioration of the wood like the OSB sheathing, sub floor, mold and warp-age.
    What other concerns can I consider.
    If the job has trusses inspect the truss plates. Repeated moisture cycles can severely loosen the plates. I've seen it happen on many houses that are exposed to the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    ...They had sprayed blue mold stuff all over the place so the house had blue colored mold also. .....
    What was the blue spray for? I have see a green spray on a sole plate that was in a basement and had contact with the floor. Looked like it was sprayed to make the wood look like it was treated lumber.

It may be something like Copper Naphtha, a wood preservative.

Ron Bibler Guest

It may be something like Copper Naphtha, a wood preservative.
    That stuff is bad news... I have had a few clients over the years get sick from the fumes. sometime the contractors get it on the hot water pipes and when the hot water is on the fumes come into the living space...

I always call past application of this stuff.

Best

Ron

Last edited by Ron Bibler; 08-25-2010 at 09:07 AM.