Larry Vance Guest

Default Roof Sheathing Repair?

Last edited by Larry Vance; 07-12-2007 at 07:09 AM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Mike Drorbaugh Guest

Default Re: Roof Sheathing Repair?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vance View Post
    How many metal covered holes are allowed?
    I put this question to the answer guys at APA--The Engineered Wood Associaiton and got the following guidelines:

1) If the hole is 6-inches or less we are not too concerned.
    2) If the hole is larger than 6-inches we would suggest structural blocking, located adjacent to the hole edge closest to the unsupported panel edge. Blocking should be parallel to the unsupported panel edge.
    3) If the edge of a hole 6-inches or larger is less than 24-inches from an unsupported panel edge we suggest following the panel edge support recommendations for narrow width roof sheathing as provide in APA Technical Note R275 (copy attached).
    4) Any hole with any dimension larger than the distance between supports should be engineered.

These are just suggestions or guidelines and are based on the assumption that no additional loads are associated with the opening (e.g., an HVAC unit supported by roof sheathing).

Another question is what happens to the poor individual who happens to step on the roofing over the hole?

Todd Strickland Guest

Default Roof Repair

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Drorbaugh View Post
    I put this question to the answer guys at APA--The Engineered Wood Associaiton and got the following guidelines:

1) If the hole is 6-inches or less we are not too concerned.
    2) If the hole is larger than 6-inches we would suggest structural blocking, located adjacent to the hole edge closest to the unsupported panel edge. Blocking should be parallel to the unsupported panel edge.
    3) If the edge of a hole 6-inches or larger is less than 24-inches from an unsupported panel edge we suggest following the panel edge support recommendations for narrow width roof sheathing as provide in APA Technical Note R275 (copy attached).
    4) Any hole with any dimension larger than the distance between supports should be engineered.

These are just suggestions or guidelines and are based on the assumption that no additional loads are associated with the opening (e.g., an HVAC unit supported by roof sheathing).

Another question is what happens to the poor individual who happens to step on the roofing over the hole?
    Thank you, Mr. Drorbaugh. I've been wanting to know the code on that.

Default Re: Roof Repair

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Strickland View Post
    Thank you, Mr. Drorbaugh. I've been wanting to know the code on that.
    What was cited is not code. It is a trade association guideline. Big difference between the two.

Looks like that sheet of OSB is already sagging, but that could be just the angle of the camera.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ryan Stouffer Guest

What are those metal rods coming down from the ceiling of the roof?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Drorbaugh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stouffer View Post
    What are those metal rods coming down from the ceiling of the roof?
    HVAC unit.

Which those GUIDELINES state make that unacceptable, as do the size and number of those openings.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Ahhh, ok.

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Are you referring to the sheathing when you are using the term unsupported panel edge?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stouffer View Post
    Are you referring to the sheathing when you are using the term unsupported panel edge?
    I believe it's the long seams between the rafters being referred to. That was 2007, BTW.

We know what the APA has to say, but what about the shingle manufacturers.

It is obvious those holes need to be blocked, and preferably filled. However, once again, it is not for a HI to decide or recommend a method of repair. The HI would note what has been observed, and recommend contractor review. Those holes appear to be more than 6 inches diameter. A person stepping on those areas is very likely to cause a deformation in the roof finish, possibly resulting in cracked shingles.

This is a classic example of why it is wise to inspect the roofing from the attic first before walking on it!

Beacon Inspection Services
    Proudly Serving the Greater Henderson and Las Vegas Valley Area in Southern Nevada!
    Like Beacon On Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Knauff View Post
    This is a classic example of why it is wise to inspect the roofing from the attic first before walking on it!
    I've heard this for years and have never really followed it but to each his own... I understand the idea and realize the risk I'm taking. I think mainly I do the roof first because I'm always stuck outisde waiting for someone to show up and let me in the damn house

One question I have though..... what about vaulted ceilings? Do you not walk over them? I had one a couple weeks ago where I hadn't been in the house first but it didn't matter, there were no signs below. But, I pretty much stepped through the roof and caught myself before breaking all the way through. It made me think I should start wearing snow shoes while on the roof

Seriously, in 10+ years doing this that was the first time I had ever had anything close to that happen. Has anyone actually ever stepped through a roof... or heard of an inspector who has?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Knauff View Post
    I agree, but unfortunately, like Matt said above there are factors that conspire against me always doing the attic first. One as Matt said is waiting for agents, another is heat during the warm months. I hate getting on a hot roof because in my locale it doesn't take long for the shingles to heat up sufficiently to cause damage to the granular surface as I walk across them.

Matt,
    Yes, 1985.
    Development that had a lot of houses built with vaulted ceilings. It was at the point that they were coming of age for replacement. Was the first time in that development, maybe one of the first roofs really at looked closely. No real sign of problems until stepped on it. Didn't get to far and foot went through. At that point I realized what was going on. Walked over a little more roof making sure is was on the trusses for support.

Roof over vaulted ceilings had been built without any ventilation. Half of the house. All sub roof deck had to be replaced and some trusses repaired. Owners not real happy, but understanding once it was explained what had happened and why.

Put the fear of God in me, from that point out, when looking at roofs over any vaulted ceilings. 1st time I was not able to tell there as a problem.