mathew stouffer Guest

Default Sill plate clearance to grade and or concrete

I always note in my reports when sill plates lack clearance to concrete patios. Most of the time the contractors think I am nuts. I know there is a 6 to 8 inch clearance to grade, depending on type of lumbar, but is there a clearance requirement to patio surfaces.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Sill plate clearance to grade and or concrete

2006 IRC Section 319.1, Protection from decay shall be provided in the following locations: Item 5 - Wood siding, sheathing and wall framing on the exterior of a building having a clearance of less than 6 inches from the ground.

Unless the sill plate, the studs, and the siding are ALL pressure treated ... they require minimum 6" (or was it 8"? forgot) to grade of earth or 4" to hard scape (concrete).

Now, if the sill was pressure treated and the studs and siding not pressure treated, then it would still need that same clearance to grade.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Matthew, do you ever get a good house with not much wrong?

BTW, no real builder can argue with those pics. That is crap.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

mathew stouffer Guest

John, not this week. But yeah most of the homes around here are really nice, but I have been super busy so you get to see all the crap. This place was a real piece However, I see this all the time with the sill or siding contacting the deck or patio.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

IIRC you'll find IRC (to replace better older language in the UBC) language on the determination and different grade distinctions (grade plane vs.) in the section discussing determining number of stories. Chapter 4 IIRC.Grade isn't only the dirt.Might help when you see things like 6 or 8" above grade, finished grade, or etc.Patio like that is a slab pour. Appears to have no slope away from the foundation and its up against the foundation. Take it is obvous from the rust colored staining on the wall in the basement or crawl copious amounts of water regularly enter where flashing and siding can't keep the water out.