Luis Sanabria Guest

Default What do I do now?

Hi, I've passed my 7c Test a couple of months ago and I have 7c Terminte Inspector's License as a Technician. I still have my permit at the moment and most company's need people with an actual drivers license.

The thing is, since my buddy has a license can me and him do termite inspections?Or do we need a home inspectors license?

I literally have no idea what to do from this point while I am waiting for my drivers license. I ordered the npm-33(I think I spelled it wrong) forms for in-home termite inspection. But it says I need a company. I've been on the phone all day and no one seems to have an answer for me as to start-up a company and get a license number for that company.

Also, does anyone know any exterminator companys that are looking for poeple in the new york area who have 7c cert.?I dont seem to find anyone.

Any advice would be extermly helpful, I really want to start doing work as soon as possible.

Inspection Referral

Default Re: What do I do now?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Sanabria View Post
    Hi, I've passed my 7c Test a couple of months ago and I have 7c Terminte Inspector's License as a Technician. I still have my permit at the moment and most company's need people with an actual drivers license.

The thing is, since my buddy has a license can me and him do termite inspections?Or do we need a home inspectors license?

I literally have no idea what to do from this point while I am waiting for my drivers license. I ordered the npm-33(I think I spelled it wrong) forms for in-home termite inspection. But it says I need a company. I've been on the phone all day and no one seems to have an answer for me as to start-up a company and get a license number for that company.

Also, does anyone know any exterminator companys that are looking for poeple in the new york area who have 7c cert.?I dont seem to find anyone.

Any advice would be extermly helpful, I really want to start doing work as soon as possible.
    You do not have a drivers license?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

This is a joke, right??????

Luis Sanabria Guest

sorry about the late response, i forgot my password and got locked out for a bit.

But yea, I live in brooklyn most of my life and now I live in long island. In the city you can take a train....

-to the guy who asked if this is a joke, you obviously never been to new york. And no, my life isnt a joke. Before you think of a rude comment to say, realize that you was once new to your kinda business and had to ask someone for advice.....did they ask you if it was a joke? This is an honest question.

I mostly used the train to get everywhere. In long Island, its the complete opposite and a car is a MUST. Technically I can't drive, but who is going to walk 10 miles to get a soda? Back to my actual question, is there anything I can do with this 7c license, or am I FORCED to wait until I get a drivers license before I can move forword with my 7c license?

Any positive reponse is still very much appreciated.Thanks

You might check with Ben, he most likely can help you with a free online drivers course.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Can you get a 36ft. ladder on a train?

have to agree with rick. how do you get your tools and ladder on the subway. is this a joke post. i take my inspection business seriously and have worked hard to establish a professional business, a home inspector without a driver licence??? will have to check my dentists credentials on monday--have a cavity to fill.hope he doesn't take the subway

cvf

Notice the OP is talking about termite inspections, not home inspections. He is trying to gather information from the wrong forum. Of course his best answer would be to contact the termite licensing board to determine if he needs a drivers license to practice.

NYC is a place unlike any other. The rest of the US presumes that anyone over the age of 18 has a valid drivers license. He implies that he drives without a valid drivers license because it makes life to difficult to not drive.

Maybe he just needs a friend in the taxi business to partner with him?

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Ya gotta be there at least once to understand.

There's thousands (maybe hundreds of thousands) of people born in Manhattan or Brooklyn or Queens who have NEVER left their Borough. NEVER rode in a private car. Trains and buses take you everywhere you need to go cheap. Only 11 states have more people than New York City all by itself.

Parking a car costs more than most car payments. See the snap shot below for some examples of costs JUST TO PARK the damn thing for a month.

Poor Charlie has about 5 million people squeezed into 104,000 square miles, (i.e. 322 miles wide and 322 miles long)

New York City has about 8.3 million people squeezed into 305 square miles, i.e. (10 miles wide and 30 miles long). When you throw in "New York Metropolitan Area" you get about 19 million people squeezed into 6,700 square miles, (i.e. 80 miles wide and 85 miles long).

Be glad YOU don't have those problems. It's a RAT race place. Kinda helps you understand why Kramer and George were the way they were!

I'd take mine or Charlie's place anytime. NYC is NOT my kind of place!

Luis, go to the licensing authority. They can best answer your questions, or get a hold of some termite inspectors OUTSIDE your local area. They're more prone to answer your questions as you aren't competition.

-

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Erby Crofutt; 07-12-2010 at 08:30 PM.
    Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

I've been to NY lots of times, but I don't understand why you wouldn't see the need for a driver's license far enough ahead of time to have that process completed before you got your pest license. How long does it take to get a driver's license?

So, back to the question, it seems like you already answered it, and yes you need to get a driver's license, a car, and insurance before you can do much with your 7C or whatever it is. I don't think you are forced to get a driver's license by your state, but in reality I can't imagine how you thought you would be able to market and work without a driver's license.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Luis,

If your buddy has a drivers license, and you have the proper pest inspectors license, I don't see why you can't do the inspections. That is, once you've started your own company, paid for your insurance and bond, etc.
    There's pretty much no way (?) that the state of New York would prevent someone from doing inspections without a drivers license.
    Around here, it would not take you long to get your own drivers license. Pass the written and drivers test, and sit down for a picture.

I think you may be catching some flack on here, because it doesn't sound like you've done much of your own research. Home inspectors must be good researchers to be any good at their job.

Luis, go to the licensing authority. They can best answer your questions, or get a hold of some termite inspectors OUTSIDE your local area. They're more prone to answer your questions as you aren't competition.
    Good advice.

Luis,
    I have been to New York, and even in Times Square I did see a lot of private cars and trucks.
    I do understand that there are many cities where public transportation is the norm, and many people do not own cars, or drive.

However, I bet there are not very many home inspectors that do not drive.

My comment was not meant as a slam, or an insult. I honestly thought that the post was a joke, sorry.

Philip Guest

Get a driver's license. Get a truck. Paint your business name and phone number all over your truck. Use it as a tax deduction.

No need for a truck. I saw guys with sandwich boards walking around Time Square. Just paint a sign and walk up and down the streets.

Luis Sanabria Guest

Thanks to everyone who ACTUALLY answered my question. I took some advice and called the NYS licensing bureau and got the information I needed, as well as passed my road test. Thanks so much Erby for actually answering my question, you help me out so much.

To those grown men who never been to NYC and yet somehow thought it was like wherever they were from and made presumptions, you've seem to not understand what I was comming from. To make those remarks really makes you out to be some idiot who belittle's a young man who is literally trying to get his foot into the door and start a life with his fiance'. I am 26 years old...how old are you? Very proffessional to make fun of a young man trying to earn a living, you must be a very good parent.

To Jack: Very nice of you to apologize and realize what you said. Oh, wait, you follow up that comment with another one making you look even more like a jackass, congratulations. Maybe for once you can stop being such a Jack-Off putting stupid comments on a forum to try to make yourself look funny, because no one cares.

I've started my carreer in this business learning as I go. I have studied and read up on everything, but the DEC and State here don't really have that much information for technicians. Maybe it's different from where some of you are, but don't come on here ever again making remarks to try to make yourself look better than someone who is trying to get his foot in the door. I hope you all do good in your field of business and act professional.

Thanks to everyone who ACTUALLY answered my question. I took some advice and called the NYS licensing bureau and got the information I needed, as well as passed my road test. Thanks so much Erby for actually answering my question, you help me out so much.

To those grown men who never been to NYC and yet somehow thought it was like wherever they were from and made presumptions, you've seem to not understand what I was comming from. To make those remarks really makes you out to be some idiot who belittle's a young man who is literally trying to get his foot into the door and start a life with his fiance'. I am 26 years old...how old are you? Very proffessional to make fun of a young man trying to earn a living, you must be a very good parent.

To Jack: Very nice of you to apologize and realize what you said. Oh, wait, you follow up that comment with another one making you look even more like a jackass, congratulations. Maybe for once you can stop being such a Jack-Off putting stupid comments on a forum to try to make yourself look funny, because no one cares.

I've started my carreer in this business learning as I go. I have studied and read up on everything, but the DEC and State here don't really have that much information for technicians. Maybe it's different from where some of you are, but don't come on here ever again making remarks to try to make yourself look better than someone who is trying to get his foot in the door. I hope you all do good in your field of business and act professional.
    Good for you... Now, that you have a drivers license you need to get out and find those jobs.

You need to get the chips off your shoulders and shake off the comments you don't like as you have plenty more over your lifetime.

Go back and read your first post, you were not being very clear in what you were writing about.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Luis,

Part of the problem is that people do "prank" this site on occasion and will bring up a topic or make a comment that is intended to arouse angry responses or waste time. When a community is suspicious, people will often resort to sarcasm or other means to express their frustration. Your post was unusual, and as a result, suspicious. It is easy to be offended here. But, we all learn a lot from each other.

For those of us that rely on cars or trucks in order to go pretty much anywhere, it is difficult to imagine not having a drivers' license since age 16. Yes, in NYC and a few other metropolitan areas, it is possible to go your whole life without having the need for a car. However, as an inspector, it will be difficult to rely on public transportation.

Sorry, can't offer you any information regarding work in NYC.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

My wife didn't get her driver's license until she was 24. As unusual as that seems to me, some people just get by without a car. But you can't do that and be in this type of business.

Congrats on the license.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

The idea of carrying pesticides on a public conveyance and/or operating a motor vehicle without a license was too silly to respond to especially in NYC or the area including Long Island.

That you found the New York Department of Environmental Conservation web site difficult to navigate is unfortunate.

The answer to your question is Yes you must have a photo on file with the New York Department of Motor Vehicles to get a Certified Pesticide Applicator/Technician Photo ID Card, and no you don't have to have a drivers license.

Here is the direct link to the information at the NY Department of Environmental Conservaton's web site: Pesticide Applicator/Technician Information - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Luis,
    Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way with my attempt at humor. But honestly, I can not imagine how anyone could do this job without a vehicle, and find it very funny that an adult, trying to run a business, does not have a drivers license.

I realize that many people may never drive in their life. However, since I have been driving for over 47 years, I can't relate.

Your first post made little sense, and I think a lot of us thought it was a joke. A home inspector without a drivers license? Just because you are starting up a new business, and trying to get your feet in the door does not earn you instant respect. You need to earn it. After all, you are the one here asking for help.

If you can't take a little fun poked your way, you are in for a world of hurt when you do get your business going. You are entering a business where we all have a big target on our backs, and almost everyone involved in the transaction, EXCEPT your client, is not going to be happy with you.

And, by the way, my comment about the sandwich boards was actually a response to Phillip when he told you to get a truck, etc. Get some thicker skin Luis, and maybe a sense of humor.

This winter my truck couldn't make it all the way to a cabin I was going to inspect. I had to get my tool belt, my computer bag, and my Little Giant ladder, and walk up a hill about 1/2 mile (on an icy road). With your post, I had visions of walking down Time Square, or getting on the subway, to get to an inspection (not having a truck). I thought it was funny.

Sorry you don't have a sense of humor.
    Glad you got your license. Good luck with your business.

Last edited by Jack Feldmann; 08-15-2010 at 06:57 AM. Reason: changed could to couldn't

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Luis,

This winter my truck could make it all the way to a cabin I was going to inspect. I had to get my tool belt, my computer bag, and my Little Giant ladder, and walk up a hill about 1/2 mile (on an icy road).

Why didn't you just drive, Jack? Or were you just getting your daily exercise.

Personally, I think a couple of roofs, a couple attics, and a couple of crawl spaces per day is plenty of excercise!

-

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Erby,
    See what a difference a couple letter make? I went back and changed the "could" to "couldn't".

The road was full of snow and a heavy coating of ice. There was no way I could have driven up.

Jack Ahern Guest

Question Re: What do I do now?

During my slow time, I've read that Bed Bugs are a hugh issue in homes and hotels. There are lots of homes? in NYC. Should be a target rich environment?
    My 2 cents