Default Dryer vent thru return air box

I thought dryer vent werent allowed to pass thru a return air box. This was from a reinspection I did. That yellow paper is an inspection card that has the vent install signed off.
    I found this from the IRC and thought this may apply-what say you?
    G2427.3.4 (503.3.5) Air ducts and furnace plenums. Venting systems shall not extend into or pass through any fabricated air duct or furnace plenum.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: Dryer vent thru return air box

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I thought dryer vent werent allowed to pass thru a return air box. This was from a reinspection I did. That yellow paper is an inspection card that has the vent install signed off.

G2427.3.4 (503.3.5) Air ducts and furnace plenums. Venting systems shall not extend into or pass through any fabricated air duct or furnace plenum.
    That wooden open box is a platform in a garage! Its NOT (unlined, unsealed to slab, garage air, etc.) be a duct or plenum for the circulating house air.

Look in the furnace platform (or stick your camera in the access panel/hole) should be sealed/lined from floor and garage ambient.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 07-12-2010 at 06:00 PM.

cliff kornegay Guest

Is that open wall cavity with the framing exposed next to an interior wall in the house?

Chuck Lambert Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Marc,

Dryer exhaust vents are not allowed to pass through furnace return plenums. However I have seen whole tracts in Irvine that the AHJ has allowed it and I call them out everytime. The only time I will not is if it were in an electric only condo with absolutely no gas and no future plans for gas.

Call it out and let it be. You are correct if push comes to shove. On a side note we, in California, are not under the IRC so I would definitely NOT quote the IRC on this one.

Chuck

Chuck Lambert Guest

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    That wooden open box is a platform in a garage! Its NOT (unlined, unsealed to slab, garage air, etc.) be a duct or plenum for the circulating house air.

Look in the furnace platform (or stick your camera in the access panel/hole) should be sealed/lined from floor and garage ambient.
    H.G.,

A large percentace of garage furnace installations here in California are just as in the picture. In the garage next to the water heater and the platform acts as the return plenum also with the opening into the living space. Most are open to the framing and open to the slab and yes about 99-100% of them have return plenum air leaks from the garage.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post

Really? That's not an open box for the return air?? Do you really think you have enough information about the building practices out here to make such stupid comments?

Last edited by Marc M; 07-12-2010 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lambert View Post
    H.G.,

A large percentace of garage furnace installations here in California are just as in the picture. In the garage next to the water heater and the platform acts as the return plenum also with the opening into the living space. Most are open to the framing and open to the slab and yes about 99-100% of them have return plenum air leaks from the garage.

Chuck
    Thanks chuck. I usually do call this but the inspection tag made me re-think my understanding of the code. Anyhow, I dont follow the IRC too much out here but the local building and safety says they adopted it a year ago.