Default Same scorch, two different panels

Pic 1 is from a unit I inspected last year, in a 15 year old condo building. The 2nd pic is from the unit next door, same scorch mark.
    Could this be installer error, loose connections?

Both right side brkrs were 30 amp supplying the dryer.
    Bad batch of breakers?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by John Kogel; 07-19-2010 at 08:11 PM.
    Crawl Space Creeper
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Default Re: Same scorch, two panels

Looks like a breaker may have removed. Possible nearby lightning strike or other strong surge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Looks like a breaker may have removed. Possible nearby lightning strike or other strong surge.
    In both panels, the 30 amp breaker for the dryer was replaced with a new breaker further down on the bus bar, and the adjacent breakers on the left side were also moved, apparently by the same repair person, judging from the similar notations on the legends. It's a mystery.

Lightning strikes to buildings are rare in these parts, too wet for much lightning, lots of trees on the surrounding hills to catch the strike if there is one.

www.allsafehome.ca

Denny Waters Guest

Perhaps paint contamination of the buses?

Roger Frazee Guest

John

Those are commander bolt on breakers. Looks like possible replacement breakers have been installed. Not sure what the breakers for the dryers were??

Anyway this is very similar to heat damage caused by a failed breaker, though possible to be loose connection. I've seen this same thing in some old style A slimline challenger breakers and murray breakers.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say failed breaker. Any history you can tell us ? Like tripping problems when operating the dryers?

Usually a complaint about the breaker tripping out during use of the dryer is common. In most cases the breaker was burned but occassionally the freakin bus was melted also. A loose connection is generally rare with a bolt on style breaker...but also you can strip the threads if you use the grunt method for tightening the hold down screw leaving an iffy connection at best.

So hard to say.

I would also be worried about keeping those panels in service...busses look like they took a lot of heat.

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Frazee View Post
    John

I would also be worried about keeping those panels in service...busses look like they took a lot of heat.
    I agree....that is a bad looking bus bar!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say failed breaker. Any history you can tell us ? Like tripping problems when operating the dryers?
    No knowledge, no help from the sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    I agree....that is a bad looking bus bar!
    In both cases, I called for an electrician to check the panels over and verify the bus bars are safe.

At least one electrician thinks they're fine.

www.allsafehome.ca

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    No knowledge, no help from the sellers.

In both cases, I called for an electrician to check the panels over and verify the bus bars are safe.

At least one electrician thinks they're fine.
    The electrician is the last man in....you're good to go! Did he just say it or write it down?