Default MetalTech telescoping ladders.

Just a short post to let people know my experience with a telescoping ladder. Click the link for (as Paul Harvy used to say) "Now here is the rest of the story!"

Jeffrey Home Inspection

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

James Foy Guest

Default Re: MetalTech telescoping ladders.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I am very sorry to hear about your injuiries Mr. Jeffrey.

I just purchased an "Extend and Climb" 15'5" extending ladder that has an ANSI Type 1 duty rating for 250 lbs along with an OSHA comformance label for an ANSI Type 2 metal ladder. This is the same type of ladder you were using only sold by a different manufacturer. Did your ladder have any of these labels?

I didn't notice the two different ANSI ratings when I purchased this online at professionalequipment.com but after looking at your pictures I'm thinking this may not be the best product out there.

Brenda Ledbetter

Post Re: MetalTech telescoping ladders.

I have been using a Telesteps ladder for many years without a problem. May be my luck will run out. Hope you are well healed and the litigation is proceeding in your favor. I always check the lock indicators to make sure they are in the correct position, before climbing the ladder.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I have been using an Xtend n' Climb 12.5 telescopic ladder for 7 years without incident.

I understand not everybody likes these types of ladders but I wouldn't leave for an inspection without it.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

I've gotten into the habit of extending each section of my Xtend n' Climb while holding down the the rung below to make sure that I seen to be getting a positive lock on the section as it goes up. So far, no problems.

IMO, the big safety hazard on the X&C is the slippery feet - I really do need to do something about that...

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Sorry for the tardy response. I will attempt to post a picture from the forensic engineer's report. The pin that supports your entire body weight is approximately 1/4 of an inch thick and protrudes into the extrusion by approximately 3/16 of an inch!

Only a fool would allow their full body weight to be supported by such little material.

What is wrong with you guys using unsafe ladders while judging a homes safety?
    Get wise and buy a safe ladder.

Dumb,too lazy or too cheap makes no difference as it is hypocritical.

Please define "safe ladder".

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Please define "safe ladder".
    One that performs as expected vs one that is climbed in an unsafe manner.
    Safest would be a fiberglass model with claw feet and hooks that is strapped at both rungs to a stable location.

Telesteps are unsafe IMO as they have story after story of injury told on all Inspector forums.
    If you wish to prove a point you will not do so by claiming that they are safe because they are sold or not recalled.
    I submit FPE stabloc panels and white vinyl ducting for dryers as proof that just because something is used or sold does not make it safe ,and every Inspector knows that.

So far, no problems.

IMO, the big safety hazard on the X&C is the slippery feet

Naive! The big problem is yet to come. You can say that you were warned. Go back to the original post and take a good look. You are being sold a bill of goods by the big boy advertising agencies. They have been proven unsafe and yet they are sold and some people are making big money on an unsafe product. I have been in litigation for three years with little publicity. The big boys are still making their products and the rest of us are still being hurt. "Collapseable ladders" how stupid can we be to buy such a piece of crap.

mitch buchanan Guest

I've always used "Little Giant" ladders - 17 years with no problems. The telescoping ladders just don't seem to make "sense" to me - too many latches to check, etc. Stay safe and focused when climbing up (and especially down) - it only taked a second to fall a long way to a hard surface!

I am with you Mitch: Little Giant is the only way to go. Now THEY have knock offs being dumped on the market! Gee it looks like a Little Giant but much cheaper. Keep buying junk from China and learn the hard way.

It is the same in Canada. Stop blaming the corporations for exporting jobs. The blame lays with the consumer, you and me who want to pay less and buy junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce Jeffrey View Post
    The blame lays with the consumer, you and me who want to pay less and buy junk.
    I researched these ladders as much as possible before laying out over $300 for a 15.5' ladder. I don't feel that I bought junk to save money; I was looking for an alternative to the 16' articulating ladder I have been using for over 20 years in my contracting business.

Also, Mr. Elliot, as to your comment "Dumb,too lazy or too cheap makes no difference as it is hypocritical." I took the time to research the ladder, understood the inherent problems with this type of ladder and paid more for it than I would have for a traditional extension ladder made by Werner - 16' aluminum ($95) or 16' fiberglass ($193). The prices are from the local Home Depot.

I found many positive reviews from users of this particular ladder and I think that if you apply common sense it can be a safe product. Once you provide your forensic engineer's report we should be able to understand what the exact problem was with your ladder and have a better idea of what to look out for.

I will keep you in mind every time I extend this ladder.

Home Depot Canada continually deletes my poor review on this ladder. I do hope you think of me and continually be cautious and safe. My ladder collapsed without warning on the way down from a roof inspection and the ladder was less than three months old. As home inspectors we observe and report and that is all I am doing. Good luck and be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    One that performs as expected vs one that is climbed in an unsafe manner.
    Safest would be a fiberglass model with claw feet and hooks that is strapped at both rungs to a stable location.

Telesteps are unsafe IMO as they have story after story of injury told on all Inspector forums.
    If you wish to prove a point you will not do so by claiming that they are safe because they are sold or not recalled.
    I submit FPE stabloc panels and white vinyl ducting for dryers as proof that just because something is used or sold does not make it safe ,and every Inspector knows that.
    Relax Bob. I'm not trying to support the telescopic ladder market or puff it up. All I asked was what you meant by the statement "safe ladder". To me, all ladders are inherently unsafe.

I'm not trying to change anybody's mind. All I said was I've used my Xtend n Climb for 7 years without incident. If somebody thinks telescopic ladders are junk and doesn't feel they are safe, that's their opinion and choice. Use what makes you feel safe.

Last edited by Nick Ostrowski; 08-04-2010 at 07:55 AM.

I don't like these ladders either and previously thought that I would not buy one. However I did just order the xtend and climb 780P. That's their heavy duty one someone else just bought.
    I only decided to buy this unit after having used these ladders when working with other inspectors. They aren't great, I don't think I will fully trust the thing. However there are some advantages and that is why I ordered one. When doing a downtown Condo or accessing an attic hatch inside of a closet, these things are really helpful. My fiberglass extensions will remain the primary ladders. I am not planning on using this thing outside.
    I'm guessing the MetalTech is some chinese POS, if it is sold at the Depot. The xtend and climb from their website seems to be made here. Not trying to defend the ladder, just making an observation on potential quality differences.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

One can not make the blind see or the deaf hear so all I can do is pray none of you guys is injured seriously.

Keep loading up your Ford Pintos and be safe.

Sorry to burst the ever wonderful bubble but Extend n Climb. Telesteps and MetalTech are all the same made under license but the same design. Originally a Sweedish product bastardized, licensed and now Chinese knock offs. Yes they are now made in Canada and the USA.

Did anyone notice that we have never heard from the manufacturers of these pieces of junk?

Brenda: When you do a search of a product, do not rely on the manufactuerer's literature or the information posted by special interests. Try taking a look at Consumers concerning the collapsible ladder issue! You might be surprised at the information from some of the German rating agencies.

To all:

I never get into P------- matches on line and I will refrain from further posting on this issue for the time being. Litigation is progressing and I look forward to further positive information in the future. Now 'future' is the real issue. I just turned 70 on the 1st and the collapse took place on June 6/07. Everyone can do the math! LOL (I hope)

As I said before, as inspectors we observe and we report. I have done my job!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce Jeffrey View Post
    Brenda: When you do a search of a product, do not rely on the manufactuerer's literature or the information posted by special interests. Try taking a look at Consumers concerning the collapsible ladder issue! You might be surprised at the information from some of the German rating agencies.
    I didn't find anything from a German rating agency. Do you have a name or link you could share? I try to find reviews on every tool before I make a purchase but I'm obviously missing some important information.

Overall Rating - 1 out of 5
    Down I went..., February 17, 2007
    By Rmac from Brookfield, NS (read all my reviews)

"Received it as a gift and was the envy of some friends because the concept is quite incredible. But, while I was caulking around a second story window, the ladder buckled at the second step from the top where my hip was resting. Then the ladder slid from under me (streaking my siding with the black top pads, and skidding across my deck) and down I went.

I contacted the company. I did not expect any compensation as there was no injury (other than pride), but I was a bit upset at what I did not receive. The best the representative could do was "Wow, I haven't heard of that." Zero concern that I was ok, and zero concern that their product had malfunctioned. This was last summer and I have not heard from them as of yet.

I loved the idea, but am going to stick to the stability of the lengthy extension ladder. Sorry Metaltech.

When I was speaking with them, I confirmed with them that I had registered the product. When I asked for advice as to how to return the product, they directed me back to Home Depot. At the store I was happy to receive a refund without a problem, but did have to tell my story to a few curious on-lookers and surprised employees at the location."

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Overall Rating - 1 out of 5
    Down I went..., February 17, 2007
    By Rmac from Brookfield, NS (read all my reviews)

"Received it as a gift and was the envy of some friends because the concept is quite incredible. But, while I was caulking around a second story window, the ladder buckled at the second step from the top where my hip was resting. Then the ladder slid from under me (streaking my siding with the black top pads, and skidding across my deck) and down I went.

I contacted the company. I did not expect any compensation as there was no injury (other than pride), but I was a bit upset at what I did not receive. The best the representative could do was "Wow, I haven't heard of that." Zero concern that I was ok, and zero concern that their product had malfunctioned. This was last summer and I have not heard from them as of yet.

I loved the idea, but am going to stick to the stability of the lengthy extension ladder. Sorry Metaltech.

When I was speaking with them, I confirmed with them that I had registered the product. When I asked for advice as to how to return the product, they directed me back to Home Depot. At the store I was happy to receive a refund without a problem, but did have to tell my story to a few curious on-lookers and surprised employees at the location."
    Glad your OK but knowing you I am surprised you let them slide as much as the ladder did.

Hi Bob

It wasn't me that had the problem, its a review by a purchaser on the Home Depot site, I just reposted the review to show that the feet also are an issue.

Cheers,

Philip Guest

I started out in life with forty-foot wood extension ladders. I still think they were the best. I had an aluminum ladder buckle on me once. It was not the ladders fault. I had gained about forty pounds since I had done this same chore, and when I pulled a heavy wood storm widow off I exceeded the weight limit. It was about ten feet to the ground and of course the electric dead head was just to my left. I tossed the window over the wires and went the other way. The only thing that ended up broken was the ladder. I always thought, 'collapsible ladders?' hummm.

I no longer carry an extension ladder only my 10' folding ladder.

Ray & Bob

I posted on two seperate ocassions on the Home Depot web site for review. Both times the posts were removed.

Home Depot should be ashamed of themselves and the resultant liability they may incur by hiding safety issues.