Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation An end to the rudeness on InspectionNews

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Thomas View Post
    Once in awhile I get on here to read the post, Then I read all this negative, putting people down, making fun of their knowledge and just plain nasty comments. So these kind of abusive statements keep a lot of good people off of this sight. I would love to come on here and make comments or ask for advice but its not worth the stress. It has been about six months since my last post and I stated I would never post again,but I keep hoping some of you guys would change or just move on. I know there are a lot of people who would use this site if was different. I know I would.

Darrell is absolutely right!

I devote countless hours to develop and maintain this site with the intent that adults in the same profession can come on here, ask questions and help each other out in a professional, respectful way. Help one another whether they are seasoned professional or new into the business. All questions are good questions. People should not be picked on for what they don't know or just to prove that you may think you know more. That is why they are here, to ask questions. You get that? Ask a question, get answers TO THAT QUESTION and move on.

Asking questions and getting answers is what this site is all about. If people are posting replies to provoke rather than to help and answer that defeats my intent and makes a waste of all the hours I have put into InspectionNews.

I have received many complaints from many people lately about the rude, aggressive and non-helpful posts throughout many threads on this site and the majority (but not all) of complaints are about the same two people. I finally got a chance to go through and read some of these threads and I can't agree more with the complaints.

This is hurting the board which in turn hurts me financially. This site may be free for all of you to use but this is my business and just as many of you have turned down clients for the better of your company I will delete users form the site to help my company. I have no problem with that. You are guests here and if you can't be respectful of one another you can go elsewhere. There is always someone to fill your spot. Harsh but true.

There are over 13,000 members but most of them will not post because they have seen how others have been treated, torn apart for no reason. I can't blame them at all and I will take the blame for not stepping in sooner. These people just become readers hoping that someone else will post the question they would like to ask.

This is going to end and end now. There are rules on this board as you all know because you all agreed to them when you registered and the "Message Board Rules, Policies, and Disclaimers " along with the "Board Rules Infraction System/Policy" are posted in the announcement at the top of every category.

If you don't have sincere helpful advice for a question that has been asked, don't answer. Simple as that.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Lou Collier Guest

Default Re: An end to the rudeness on InspectionNews

Thank you, Brian. I have felt the same way Darrell does for many years. I basically decided that I will not post comments any more. I stop reading some of the threads as they dissolve into some kind of absurd ego match. There is good information on this site, but I find it hard to wade through the b.s. and grandstanding to get to the topic at hand. I fully support your position and hope some of the attitudes here will change.

100% agreement and long as it's the tone of posting, not the content that is the problem - it's true that some threads do "degenerate" into debates over how to read arcane or poorly written sections of the IRC etc, and sometimes all parties are sure that they are right, and those who disagree are idiots. But if conducted in a heated but civil tone these are sometimes some of the most useful discussions.

-------------

BTW, while you are taking posters out behind the barn and shooting them, IMO an excellent choice would be the non-inspector members of HI organizations - they have their own sites on which to air their opinions and hawk their wares, and one reason I'll here is the tone and nature of discussion on some of those same sites.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 07-15-2010 at 05:17 AM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Unfortunately, a mob-like mentality seemed to take over here where people would jump all over somebody and others would just pile on. I had never used the button that allows you to report a thread or responses in that thread until just recently but I'm glad I did as it was way overdue. There have been quite a few homeowners and home buyers in recent months who found this site and posted up questions. I can only imagine what their thoughts were regarding some of the things that have been said on here.

Brian, any chance a classifieds page can be added to this site where members who have some inspection related tools can offer to sell them (where there are no comments allowed about an item being overpriced or out of date of whatever)? Maybe you could charge a nominal fee for allowing the person to advertise or sell the item. I'm sure there are tools some of us have that we don't use anymore but they might be good options for new inspectors who are just getting started and are looking for some lower cost options.

Here's to a kinder and gentler InspectionNews where nobody feels they can't ask a question.

Brian, IMO, the best solution to your problem may be a to implement a "bozofilter" which allows readers to selectively block display of posting by other members, and make users aware that it's available.

1) This allows readers like myself (who can pretty easily abide abrasive but useful posters) to profit from their knowledge, but allows readers temperamentally more inclined to take offense to block them.

2) It's a lot easier to abide such posters if you don't have to - knowing that you can "bozo" offensive posters is a lot like knowing that you really can kick those obnoxious relative out of the house on Thanksgiving - with no negative consequences! Just knowing this is the case often makes them much easier to take.

3) If you post the bozo stats, the bozos soon discover that they are ranting to an increasingly empty room - which norms many of them pretty quickly.

This isn't theory, BTW, it's the way we do things over on "The Well", which has been around since 1985 (which makes it probably the oldest general discussion site on the internet), and IMO one reason it has lasted is this filtering capability.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 07-15-2010 at 05:47 AM.
    Michael Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Well, it's obvious from the Achtung! message I received from the Hann that the whiners have been whining. I suppose we will all now live in the Romper Room with Mr. Rogers, Big Bird, Captain Kangaroo, et al, drooling and coloring pictures of flowers and such. What a delight that will be!

In the mean time, my messages of complaint to the Hann notwithstanding, Ben Gromicko continues unabated with his endless infomercial for INACHI. While this is against forum policy, it still continues. The Hann has now shown his affiliation with the INACHI crowd. I just wonder how deep it goes.

Thanks for the equal dispensation of "justice" Brian. It is about what I expected of you.
    Oh my!

If somebody is not happy with the direction of the website or it's owner, they are always welcome to defect and start up their own home inspection website where they make their own rules.

Golly gee!
    Get your jabs in while you can Aaron. Might as well go down in a blaze of glory.

What measures have you taken to stop it Aaron? Have you reported any of the posts or threads?

There is a REPORT button on every thread for posts you see that violate the rules of the board. If somebody is doing something that is a violation of the rules and you see it, you should report it instead of hoping it goes away on it's own. I doubt Brian has the time to sit down and read each and every post on this board.

Ya know, it is Brian's website and he can do as he wants. About the only folks he has to answer to are his advertisers, and rightly so. I for one am very thank full that Brian allows me to play in his sandbox! If you have not done so, you might consider a small or large donation to IN and Brian.

As for Ben chiming in and adding his post, I see nothing wrong with it. Folks can take them for what they are worth, put him on their ignore list or read them and possibly learn something or not. Last I looked his organization does pay for a banner ad on this site.

If you do not like the post, then do not post on the thread. Let it die and fall off the active list. The more you banter and post the higher the thread will end up in the search engines. Those with the least activity will not pull up high on the searches.

I hold no animosity to any particular group, individual or organization. I might not agree with everything they do, but I do my best to not express my feelings in a negative or hateful manner. Life it way too short to get your panties in a wad over such trivial things as a persons professional affiliation.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 07-15-2010 at 07:08 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    What measures have you taken to stop it Aaron? Have you reported any of the posts or threads?

There is a REPORT button on every thread for posts you see that violate the rules of the board. If somebody is doing something that is a violation of the rules and you see it, you should report it instead of hoping it goes away on it's own. I doubt Brian has the time to sit down and read each and every post on this board.
    Actually Brian has received at least one email about the Gromicko thing....from me. I can pretty much guaranty you that he has received others. That's not the point. Ben has chosen a blatant form of free advertising that does not seem to have been put in check.

I can agree with what Brian says to a point but I can also argue after being on here for a while that most of the folks with bully complaints are the weak at heart and fortitude. Another type is the one that wants to come on here and put his or her thought forward and after several contradictions they cannot stand the fact that they just may be wrong and no matter how many people tell them repeated countless items showing why some thing is or is not they get their little feelings hurt.

I can guaranty you the one of the complaints is from one of the extremely recent new members that was about to start a new advertising campaign and I am not talking about Ben. He was one they came on with an announcement that he would be on here soon. I am the Pres of this and the founder of that and such. After being advised from quite a few folks he just could not take reality and stomped off kicking and crying. That is the way many things go on here. Someting is put forth. Others give advise and maybe, just maybe question them about their knowledge and experience. They get pissy and just do not agree with all the advise and , well, you know the outcome.

Is that always the case...no. There are some real complaints but these are men we are talking about. Not mamby pamby young teenagers. They do not have to comment back to or pay any attention to any particular post or thread. Yes, sometimes they are berated. Sometimes a bit out of line comments directed toward them. Sometime made to feel like an idiot for asking a question. Fact is sometimes they deserve it and sometimes they do not. But in saying that......Brian....everyone is picking on me.....seriously. I must have grown up on another planet because when I hear things like that I honestly think about how pitiful one can be. A grown man telling another grown man that "he is picking on me". What has mankind come to.

There are 13,000, hopefully, adult males and or females that are members on this board.

I agree with Brian to a point and honestly, this is his site and can and will handle it as he wishes. I just ask the question.......13,000 members....hm....something must be pretty interesting on here. My belief is just as much as the education folks pick up on here the heated debates are extremely interesting and sometimes really makes folks think. Some may get their little feelings hurt as sometimes I get a little ticked about things.

There are rules. We must follow them but think about it.

From George (who ever George is)

"What is the length of a ground rod suppose to be"

From Bill (Who ever Bill is)

"Um, I think it is 10 feet"

From George

"I thought so. Thanks good buddy. That was real swell of yeah"

From Bill

"Think nothing of it George. You have a wonderful day and God Bless"

Maybe a bit stretched but I think you get the drift.

It is time for some to calm down and be a bit kinder in their remarks.

It is also time for many to grow some and act like a man. Hm, that in and of itself was not really to nice and should have been a much more friendly phrase.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 07-15-2010 at 07:21 AM.

My sister-in-law's favorite quote seems so apt here.

"Put on your big girl panties and deal with it!"

It IS Brian's board, Brian's rules, finally.

-

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

MT:

Maybe you are a lot younger than I, and do not recall the original zeal of Internet users regarding the total lack of censorship that once existed. Thanks to misguided ideas such as your "filtering" brain zap, access to information eventually is limited to what the few conservative and politically correct are able to digest. I suppose we have that to look forward to . . .
    Tout le contraire, the advantage of such systems is that no one either forces you to censor what you say... or forces anyone else to listen to it. Everyone has exactly the audience their listeners believe they deserve.

Those who relish the role of a soapbox orator with a bullhorn are allowed to mount it and rant on to their hearts content - but their listeners are allowed to buy earplugs.

Again, this is not just a theory, it's an actual practice that works elsewhere.

Michael Thomas

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Ya know, it is Brian's website and he can do as he wants. About the only folks he has to answer to are his advertisers, and rightly so. I for one am very thank full that Brian allows me to play in his sandbox! If you have not done so, you might consider a small or large donation to IN and Brian.

As for Ben chiming in and adding his post, I see nothing wrong with it. Folks can take them for what they are worth, put him on their ignore list or read them and possibly learn something or not. Last I looked his organization does pay for a banner ad on this site.

If you do not like the post, then do not post on the thread. Let it die and fall off the active list. The more you banter and post the higher the thread will end up in the search engines. Those with the least activity will not pull up high on the searches.

I hold no animosity to any particular group, individual or organization. I might not agree with everything they do, but I do my best to not express my feelings in a negative or hateful manner. Life it way too short to get your panties in a wad over such trivial things as a persons professional affiliation.
    Scott

I am not understanding your thoughts.

You understand Brians rules and will and want to abide by them....rightfully so.

But then you see absolutely nothing wrong with Ben Gromicko breaking any advertising rule there is but it is OK.

I think the ignorance of Ben Gromicko is far worse than someone getting their feelings hurt every once in a while. His posts degrade every home inspector out there acting like they are a bunch of ignorant fools that will fall for his arrogant ignorance with that pitiful smiley face avatar. everyone's friend and pal and "we are all just having fun here , right"

I am at a total loss on your reasoning.

You would like us to just ignore rule breakers and treating everyone in your profession like they are a moron. I don't get it

put him on their ignore list or read them and possibly learn something or not.
    Now, I did not even know this site had a bozo function. IMO, this ought to be more widely known.

Michael Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Scott

I am not understanding your thoughts.

You understand Brians rules and will and want to abide by them....rightfully so.

But then you see absolutely nothing wrong with Ben Gromicko breaking any advertising rule there is but it is OK.

I think the ignorance of Ben Gromicko is far worse than someone getting their feelings hurt every once in a while. His posts degrade every home inspector out there acting like they are a bunch of ignorant fools that will fall for his arrogant ignorance with that pitiful smiley face avatar. everyone's friend and pal and "we are all just having fun here , right"

I am at a total loss on your reasoning.

You would like us to just ignore rule breakers and treating everyone in your profession like they are a moron. I don't get it
    The only advertising I have seen are the links in Ben's signature, but then I also do not look at all of his post. Many of us have links to our own websites in our signatures. We are all trying to selling something when we have links to our websites in our signatures.

The blatant ad spammers like Lisa are the ones who need to be taken to the woodshed. Might be I need to look more at Ben's post....

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Now, I did not even know this site had a bozo function. IMO, this ought to be more widely known.
    I have several on it! The only problem is that you can still see their post when someone else quotes them.....

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

The only advertising I have seen are the links in Ben's signature, but then I also do not look at all of his post. Many of us have links to our own websites in our signatures. We are all trying to selling something when we have links to our websites in our signatures.

The blatant ad spammers like Lisa are the ones who need to be taken to the woodshed. Might be I need to look more at Ben's post....
    Now see Scott

You are being bad. You are commenting on something you are completely unaware of. If you have read any of his post his is selling everything he is talking about.

Yes we have are websites on here but just take his signature for example about his book for sale. This is to sell directly to the folks that come on here and an extreme amount of them are home inspectors. Our signatures with a website is only going to work as direct advertising if a home buyer in the DFW market place comes on here and is looking for a home inspector but even then they will find many home inspectors from the same area.

Scott, go over all the last threads Ben put up. Then come back on here and try to type in that he is not advertising and only advertising.

You will come back on and say "Ted, I read all that crap and I have to completely agree with you. That is nothing but advertising.

Then also let me ask you this. And Ben Gromicko is someone that we should take as an expert on anything????

Its all just nothing but a marketing campaign.

[QUOTE=Scott Patterson;137579]

QUOTE]

Scott.. He told us he has his own company and he doesn't have anything to do with nacho

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

[QUOTE=Dan Harris;137604]

QUOTE]

Scott.. He told us he has his own company and he doesn't have anything to do with nacho
    OK, now that is different.... Little bro is ridding on big bros coattails!

I have been busy and just have not paid much attention to him/them.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Can ignorees see how many other users are ignoring them?

(On the WELL you can see exactly who has bozoed you, and for most posters a long list of ignores by other respected/useful posters is a wake up call as to the actual effects of their style.)

Michael Thomas

Note to others: If you are going bother be insulting, or be condensation or arch, please at least attempt to do so with wit and style.

When you sound like I'm the guy on the next stool over at the bar and I'm hearing six beers talking, it lowers you in my opinion.

Michael Thomas

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

We all (should) know that a vague question can end up going on pages and pages of hypothetical commenting, debates with various assumptions, etc.

It helps to know the context of a question and its scope. Sometimes a questioner seems to be narrow and limiting in scope - but without the "givens" sometimes "simple questions" on "their face" are actually not if there is no understood playing field as to what the "givens" are.

For example:

Someone training, practicing, etc. seeking to expand on a personal schedule vs. fee-for-service & "deadline" for what (I think we're realtively in agreement on this) is a traditional "home inspection";

Someone actually or attempting to perform construction stage inspections (which are contract performance evaluation, plans, and codes based - and I would think we'd all be in agreement on this - that such inspections are generally NOT what is traditionally in the general "home inspector" spectra), be it for their own personal interests (in the project), as a learning experience, or as a fee-for-service and deadline-based;

Someone well skilled and knowledgable on a general topic encountering something outside of their experience/regional customary practices/first time encountering new materials, double checking or questioning their rating of the seriousness or less seriousness of something they encountered for reporting, language, severity, self-evaulation, things to further examine the next time, etc.;

Repeat topic/question/subject (or similar) from same poster (forgetful, or some nuance or thought process not expressed as to why poster might think the situation encountered may be different or distinct - and as is often the case it may be a distinction without a difference), or wanting to explore what seems to him/her to be a pattern having encountered and wanting input as to what other areas, inspectors have encountered;

A DIYer, an AHJ, a Realtor, a Home Owner, an HI client (curious, needing guidance/steering, avoiding employing an HI, or feeling unsatisfied with their HI experience), or a personal project, not business related of the HI, AHJ, related occupation, engineer, friend to the industry, supplier or marketer to the industry, etc.;

If the topic is a time-is-of-the-essence one, and will hold no interest of the OP soon thereafter, then we know. If it is not, then it makes sense to continue to develop the conversation.

Follow-up questions are often just that. Clarification follow-up questions often have a purpose, reasoning, thought, behind them.

Instead of attacking, or being instantly offended, it might help to actually ask the questioner why they asked a follow-up question, instead of projecting or being defensive.

I'm not looking to turn this topic/subject string into a debate about HIs not OTHERWISE qualified performing fee-for-service construction stage inspections, or other such topics.

My point has to do with the general shoot-from-the-hip snarkiness and projected snarkiness lately, and the grudge and vendetta repeats. It gets old, weary, is contagious, infective, and wasteful.

I see each topic-subject-string as a distinct specific dialogue.

I appreciate the original post here, and I will do my best to remember and apply it.

I can't take all of this love and kindness!
    For some reason...it just don't seem right!
    I like the good "strong" debates.

I think I'm going to throw up!

AD this has got to be killing you!

Now I KNOW I'm going to thro..............................

The prosecution rests.

Michael Thomas

Post Re: An end to the rudeness on InspectionNews

First I want to apologize to all that tried to send me a PM but did not get their message through. I received so many that my in box was full this morning and I will have to delete messages to make room.

All of the PMs that I receive were very positive about the actions to clean up the board and get back to meaningful, respectful conversations that will help one another. I thank you for all your kind words.

And here's the follow up to my post.

1. It is not about people getting their feelings hurt. The overwhelming majority of complaints do not come from the people being attacked. They come from the people trying to read, learn, understand and educate themselves on a topic and are distracted and disgusted at the off topic rants and personal attacks that take over the threads and completely destroy the quality of the question and answer and what should be a pleasant experience on InspectionNews. The people who post on the board are by far the minority and I hear from the silent majority all the time.

It is emails like this that really hit home and let me know that the site is no longer what I intended it to be.

You are 100% correct, and stated the problem very well. I am one who occasionally reads the forum, and wouldn't dream of posting anything. The two or three individuals who pounce on every thread with their personal vitriol have preemptively driven away folks like me.
      I have been considering advertising on Inspection News, and decided that I don't want my name or products to appear on the same page with the arguments that break out so often. The "panel in bathroom" thread in the electrical section was an embarrassment to the profession, and it would not help my company to have an ad on the same page with it.
    2. Following up with the complaints, reading all the post and dealing with all of this takes more time than I can spare. Coming back and reading all the condescending posts by one of the individuals is just an insult and I am done with it. This is a waste of my time. Account Banned.

3. As for Ben, I will deal with him as well. He does not have a ticket to use IN as his marketing platform.
    I hope that everyone on InspectionNews will continue to teach, learn educate and enjoy.

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

bravo Brian! I will definately hang around the site and contribute as always! won't i? good job!

Brian,

As for Ben, I will deal with him as well. He does not have a ticket to use IN as his marketing platform.
    And yet he continues to post ads every day. And the posts are still visible.

James Duffin Guest

Good job Brian...the only one's who don't like it are the ones casuing the problems. Some people confuse free speech with the right to be a jerk.

Thanks, Brian. Yelling STFU wasn't working.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I am of the opinion that each person must decide what to read and not to read, I don't care for censorship, but...

Lately it is very apparent that a few individuals take liberty with their replies, condescending, snide remarks for no apparent reason other then trying to impart they are somehow superior or smarter or both.

The frequency of coming here and reading through the put downs is tiresome, any efforts by me to partake have left me wondering why I would even bother chiming in with the fear of being told I can not write, nor read, nor think or have never posted anything intelligent ever on this forum!

I am glad some have complained and Brian realizes that this once civil board has become anything but and some of the threads have become nothing but ego's jousting with each other who can be the best put down artist and go on for pages of irrelevant crap.

And for the record I do not put much faith in anyone replying who cannot list there proper name, let alone a proper background or website. If some of you are so embarrassed or not who you pretend to be maybe you need to go to another site and ply your egos there.

Thank you, Brian. I have felt the same way as the Darrell for a long time. I have been a member for a long time, lurking and reading, not actively posting for a while. In the beginning it was nice to be able to ask for advice, etc. This board has gone down hill as far as rude, aggressive and non-helpful posts. Asking questions and getting answers is what this site is should be about.

Ted Menelly Guest

Hm

I have read every post on here for years now. I have also read everyone's post above. I can also say that none of you always just say. I would like to know this, get the answer and leave. Everyone interjects. Everyone adds there own spin or spoil for that matter. I for one don't go for the heavy hitting condescending garbage but I also enjoy the interesting and yes sometimes slightly heated disputes. I see on a very regular basis folks that come on, folks don't agree with them and then they run away because they did not get the answer they wanted and threatened to never come back again. I have also seen folks , possibly, driven away (unfortunate) but like I say. A 13000 membership and all read the posts and all see the advertising. Something must be going on here kind of right.

I have on an extreme amount of occasions not asked a question or for that matter answered some knowing I might get the dreaded idiot call but it certainly did not keep me off of here. I have been to an observed other sites. Some are all right and some...well...I would not waste my time with all the nya nya garbage.

I as Raymond have said hate sensorship but I guess it is a good call on some occasions. We now have a banned personality that help keep this site breathing. No, he was not going to kiss you on the cheak when you agreed with him and even if you were right he may have called you an idot or such and quite frankly I found him quite condescending. In saying that...would I have banned him....probably not. I skipped over many a post he put in but then found many others not just enlightening and intelligent but entertaining and yes, crude and mean hearted. After saying all that, would I have banned him...probably not.

As far as being so snide on a thread about this particular thread directly to the owner of the site....pretty funny (you must admit you were saying to yourself....damn he just won't quit)e but yes, wrong. I think he pushed the limits on many occasion and should have kept it down but hey.....come on.....how about the flag at half mast.

I certainly hope this site does not become one of the mamby pamby nya nya sites I see out there..................I certainly hope not.

Brian brought up the panel in bathroom thread. A particular individual spurred everyone on in every way he could even though countless professionals gave him intelligent, legal, ethical, common sense information and advise and he would not let up and take any of the professional info or advise and I am not talking of AD. Yes AD layed it rather heavy on a non stop basis but in most case the individula deserved what he got. Go back and read the thread even with all of ADs posts gone....wow...did he ever. Many a professional and most that responded were, just could not get a grip on this guy and tell or explain anything to him.

I am sorry to see that Brian possibly lost some advertising dollars but that particular thread was bate for anyone wanting to try to talk sense into that individual and he spurred it until remarks were being made.

An advertiser using that thread as an example.....I could point one to ones that were what he should be complaining about but hey, what do I know.

Enough of a rant. Sorry about that but hey, what do I know.

Sad to see you go AD and I was one that thought you were a bit out of control at times. Out of control but an intelligent, knowledgeable contributor that a lot on here could have kept learning a very large amount from.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Sad to see you go AD and I was one that thought you were a bit out of control at times. Out of control but an intelligent, knowledgeable contributor that a lot on here could have kept learning a very large amount from.
    Can't say I agree with you here Ted. While not all people learn in the same manner, I'm pretty certain that most people are not going to be patient enough to see past angry condescending responses and look for the substance, regardless of how much is there. Unbalanced/manic responses are too distracting for most people. Eventually, personalities like this one are tuned out and seen as nothing more than toned-down versions of Mel Gibson.

I wonder how many repeat customers and referrals I would get if I handled my inspections and talked to my clients in a manner similar to that of said banned individual. My guess is few if any.

We all choose the paths we want to take in life and business. Bearing the responsibility and consequences of those choices falls on nobody's shoulders but our own.

Ted Menelly Guest

Can't say I agree with you here Ted. While not all people learn in the same manner, I'm pretty certain that most people are not going to be patient enough to see past angry condescending responses and look for the substance, regardless of how much is there. Unbalanced/manic responses are too distracting for most people. Eventually, personalities like this one are tuned out and seen as nothing more than toned-down versions of Mel Gibson.

I wonder how many repeat customers and referrals I would get if I handled my inspections and talked to my clients in a manner similar to that of said banned individual. My guess is few if any.

We all choose the paths we want to take in life and business. Bearing the responsibility and consequences of those choices falls on nobody's shoulders but our own.
    That is what you don't know. The man stays pretty busy and charges more than anyone in his area. He knows what he is doing and is very good at it.

Agree with me on what. That any grown up can look around such things. Anyone can ignore anyone they wish. AD was and is annoying on most occasions but if what you are saying is he was responsible for 13000 folks not posting.....WOW. God man. I could put you, me Jerry and I won't just keep naming folks that others may find annoying.

I am not sticking up for AD I am just trying to help save this board from where I have seen others go. Mamby Pamby nya nya land.

I just cannot see a grown up adult that has matured thru the years not being able to read around AD or anyone else they do not like. Have you been to any other boards. The well rounded group of folks on this board is what makes it.

In some cases there have been folks joining to see the fight at the Hockey rink and thought it was great debate and banter (they learned a lot). A stale board is not what you want. You want to capture the interest, as it has, all different walks of life, intelligent levels, experiences, and yes even the ADs and the weak at heart folks.

Darn, even me and you. If you want someone to pick on I can point in one direction that the finger has been pointing forever (he has been around forever) "Whats a matter. Can't you read" (that was a hint). Intelligent, knowledgeable but a serious demeaning fool at times and I know you know who I mean.

He just knows when to shut it and chill. AD just forgot his meds from time to time

There is NO reason for anyone to use this facility to launch personal attacks. I agree that in many cases AD provided intelligent and informative information. However, it didn't take much to get him started on a tangent that was a personal attack on a person's ability, intelligence, or heritage whether it was deserved or not. It added nothing to the discussion, it was generally condescending, ugly, and rude. Of course, others didn't help by responding to his remarks and continue to add fuel to the tirade. Brian's decision is not censorship, it's enforcement of the rules to which we all agreed and long over due in my opinion. The best way to beat a cyberspace bully is to ignore them. The next best way is to ban them from the playground.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

How much somebody charges and how busy they may be are not excuses for poor behavior. If you're gonna tell me he is so brilliant that his behavior should be overlooked, I'm not buying it. I know nothing about Aaron aside from what I have read on this board so I can't agree with you on anything about him Ted.

He made his choices and he got banned. The only things the members of this board and Brian asked for were simple respect and common courtesy and he couldn't even do that.

I'm not saying he kept 13,000 people from posting but we do know he played a role in influencing/preventing some people from posting up (and spending advertising dollars).

And what is mamby pamby nyah nyah land anyway? Is it a board where people can ask questions and not be called names and made to feel or look stupid?

I for one am glad I chose to not ignore the attacks and name calling as it helped result in a positive change for this board. Hopefully some people who just didn't want to post up in the past will now feel for comfortable about contributing and asking questions.

Last edited by Nick Ostrowski; 07-15-2010 at 08:20 PM.

Ted Menelly Guest

How much somebody charges and how busy they may be are not excuses for poor behavior. If you're gonna tell me he is so brilliant that his behavior should be overlooked, I'm not buying it. I know nothing about Aaron aside from what I have read on this board so I can't agree with you on anything about him Ted.

He made his choices and he got banned. The only things the members of this board and Brian asked for were simple respect and common courtesy and he couldn't even do that.

I'm not saying he kept 13,000 people from posting but we do know he played a role in influencing/preventing some people from posting up (and spending advertising dollars).

And what is mamby pamby nyah nyah land anyway? Is it a board where people can ask questions and not be called names and made to feel or look stupid?

I for one am glad I chose to not ignore the attacks and name calling as it helped result in a positive change for this board. Hopefully some people who just didn't want to post up in the past will now feel for comfortable about contributing and asking questions.
    Not trying to sell you anything.

I can see you were one to right him off and that is your choice and I respect that.

There were times I laid into him myself.

The matter of what he does for a living and being successful at it and you say what he charges does not give him the right to berate folks....I never said that. I was commenting on his success trying to tell you that what he does here does not reflect to his business. I was not standing up for him in any sense about that. You wanted to connect the two.

Mamby pamby land....I have seen some of the folks that complained when someone stepped on their toe by disagreeing with them. Then they went running crying and saying that everyone was picking on them. That is mamby pamby land.

Its late

I am leaving now for a busy day tomorrow.....Thank God. Darn I should not of said that either.

Anyways......not the big religious guy here but thank God work has picked up a bit. I hope you are all doing well. And yes, that even means Aaron and even Jerry Peck. I hope everyone has a very prosperous rest of the year.

AFAIK, he's been banned, but not executed.

Repeated rude behaviour drives people away, like it or not. Newbies should feel comfortable asking questions without some ego-testical bully pouncing on them.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Good job Brian...the only one's who don't like it are the ones casuing the problems. Some people confuse free speech with the right to be a jerk.
    Very well said.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

There's a vast difference between the possession of knowledge and the ability to communicate it effectively.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 07-16-2010 at 05:00 AM.
    Michael Thomas

Well, this is an interesting thread. A few months ago I got to the point where I had to take a break from this site for the reasons cited. I came back here a couple of weeks ago and things seem to have toned down nicely.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Quote from Ted:

Ted,
    You are correct in your comment about Aaron. He is a very knowledgeable HI and considered a true professional in our area. He is a person who will speak his opinion and many times on here in my opinion was provoked by others to the point where he had to defend himself or his opinions.

Should he have been banned? NO! Not in my opinion. We all should have that right of free speech no matter where or when. If you don't like somone's comments, don't answer back to them. Ignore them. Plain and simple.

This is a "message board" and when it gets to the point where one cannot interject his opinion, it is no longer so.

Sure it is Brian's website and he can choose as he please's, but I think no one again should be "banned" from having his own opinion no matter what. Picking one person out and chastising them is not fair when others are just as guilty for the same.

My Opinion (I hope I continue to have that freedom)

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Quote from Ted:

Ted,
    You are correct in your comment about Aaron. He is a very knowledgeable HI and considered a true professional in our area. He is a person who will speak his opinion and many times on here in my opinion was provoked by others to the point where he had to defend himself or his opinions.

Should he have been banned? NO! Not in my opinion. We all should have that right of free speech no matter where or when. If you don't like somone's comments, don't answer back to them. Ignore them. Plain and simple.

This is a "message board" and when it gets to the point where one cannot interject his opinion, it is no longer so.

Sure it is Brian's website and he can choose as he please's, but I think no one again should be "banned" from having his own opinion no matter what. Picking one person out and chastising them is not fair when others are just as guilty for the same.

My Opinion (I hope I continue to have that freedom)

Rick
    Please see Ken Rowe's comment.
    There is a difference between free speech or being outspoken and personal attacks just because someone dares to differ with your statement. Free speech, opinions, and good information are one thing but using this medium to be total jerk is not, in my opinion, needed or appreciated. Outspoken? Outspoken doesn't include being a cyberspace bully.

Take this post for example. I expressed an opinion different from yours. I did not say or imply that you were a dumb ass. I didn't say anything about how much better and knowledgeable I am than you. I didn't take issue with your heritage or education. Why would I? I don't know you or anything about you. I may not agree with your post but as a matter of general manners and respect for others, I never would make such remarks. (Okay, Lisa and InterNachi are open season )

Now - would I send you a private note that included all the non essential negative comments typical of an AD rant? Probably not but that would be the route to take. I certainly would not want to make a public show of how big a jerk I could be. I do agree that AD was provoked at times. I think he has little respect, and deservedly so, for some people because of the remarks they made. I see them all the time. But, fellas, take it outside!

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Philip Guest

AD banned? We crawl around in dark damp places and are afraid of a sarcastic know-it-all? I know I am stepping in it, but bring AD back.
    I also want Mighty Mouse to become our national rodent. When you mess something up in attempt to repair it, we call it "Mickey Moused." Mighty Mouse flies, sings opera, kicks the (&*0 out of Oil Can Harry. and saves the damsel from being ran over by a train. I learned to read AD for the content, not the way he delivered it.

I think for many now, tempers are easily motivated with being at home while business is slow and frustrations are being released that wouldn't normally be there.
    Take 1 dose every 6 hrs. and do not operate heavy equipment.

Ignoring the verbal attacks and comments sounds good in theory but all that does is show somebody they can get away with what they want because nobody is standing up and trying to put an end to it. I tell our 6 year old he isn't anybody's punching bag and that he should stand up for himself if somebody's being mean to him. I see no difference here. Aaron may have been baited at times by others. But in applying the theory that people should ignore the negative comments, doesn't that apply to him as well? And it doesn't make it OK to sound off on somebody who asks a question.

A culture really seemed to take over here lately where combative and demeaning responses became the norm. If that was the type of board Brian wanted, he would have let it continue. I don't think Brian ever said you can't have an opinion here. But it should be expressed in a respectful manner.

I really wish Aaron no ill will and hope that he really is a well respected and successful inspector as you Texas guys say.

I think Aaron in the end got what he was asking for and possibly wanting. On this thread he was acting the school child who had just gotten into trouble in the sandbox. He was not acting like a responsible adult. I have the utmost respect for Aaron and his knowledge, but enough was enough.

Over the years we have seen several get banned from this site and other boards because they can not play by the rules. Many were very knowledgeable, but others find that they can step up and fill in the void left by those who are no longer around.

If Aaron wants to get back on this board I bet all he would need to do is to wait a month or two and then talk to Brian and offer an apology for his actions.

Brain has been and was more than patient with this issue, IMVHO.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Bob Spermo Guest

While I admired AD's knowledge I grew tired of his personal attacks. Personal attacks should not be made via the internet for that is cowardly - they should be made only face to face!

James Duffin Guest

In reading Brian's post I don't think he ever said that folks can't say anything they want to anytime they want to. He just said they can't say it here if it is disruptive in his opinion. The banned one(s) is/are welcome to wreak havoc at another site if the owner of that site will let him. I wish him luck in finding another site as forgiving as this one.

This forum was getting more and more like Jerry Springer every day, and less like a professional fourm.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I agree with Scott, and personally found Arron's posts to be for the most part very informative and helpful.
    Some were outright hilarious, which i will miss
    Baiting people in posts is as bad as being rude and alot of that goes on as well.
    I am sure I have said alot of stupid things on this post as well but typically try to delete my altercations before I let them stick my foot in mouth.

By the way, I met a rude broker the other day, I just couldnt believe it!

Philip Guest

Sticks and stones will break my bones, but bad words will not harm me.
    Bring AD back, and make Mighty Mouse our national rodent.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    Please see Ken Rowe's comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Very well said.
    Just pointing out, I really didn't say anything. I just agreed with another comment.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Darrel Hood Guest

Brain,
    Thanks for this action. It will increase the value of your site for me.

Darrel Hood
    DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES

Can't we just put AD on probation? Tell him to stop being such a bad boy. It's probably all that Texas hot sauce that makes him so ornery.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

joe woe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Some people confuse free speech with the right to be a jerk.
    Free speech IS the right to be a jerk. Freedom of speech doesn't just cover speech you like to hear, it also covers speech you don't. That's what makes this country great, so let's not confuse this.

Now in the context of this forum, there really is no "freedom of speech", so carry on .

gregory smith Guest

I'm a new inspector and have been a member here for several months, but the topic of this thread, and the remarks following are why I don't get on here very often. There seems to be one or two constructive remarks to a question then countless prods & jabs given by the same regular "cute" pukes who apparently live to be seen and/or heard on this website. I support removal of such, and let the rest of us soldier on with a high degree of professionalism.

So, whatever happened to the "Infraction Policy/System" developed by the site admin?

Dom.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    So, whatever happened to the "Infraction Policy/System" developed by the site admin?

Dom.

You mean this instead of getting directly banned

Updated 2/26/08

Unfortunately, I have had to implement an infraction policy/system to assist individuals in following the message board rules. The rules that they have agreed to abide by when they registered to use the InspectionNews Message Board.

Starting on Tuesday (02/26/08) an infraction will be given to any individual who's post (posted on or after 02/26/08) has been reported to me by another member (that person will remain anonymous) and in my opinion has violated any of the message board rules/agreement including the "Defamatory, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, and/or threatening" portion of the message board rules.

Each infraction will last for 30 days.

2 infractions accumulated within a 30 day period will result in a 2 week suspension from posting on the board.

2 suspensions to one individual and their account/membership will be removed from the Inspection News Message Board for a *MINIMUM* of 6 months.

All I ask is that you treat each other with respect while discussing your opinion on a subject.

If you feel the need to personally attack each other do it through PM or e-mail but keep it off the board.

Do not get suckered into a confrontation or you to may receive an infraction for your reply. Just report the post in question.

I'm hoping that I will not have to use this system at all as this board was designed for ethical adults who run or want to run a professional inspection business.

Leigh Goodman Guest

Previous post: Free speech IS the right to be a jerk. Freedom of speech doesn't just cover speech you like to hear, it also covers speech you don't. That's what makes this country great, so let's not confuse this.

Now in the context of this forum, there really is no "freedom of speech", so carry on .

Freedom of speech refers only to the your right to speak without government interference and even the government has the ability to stifle some kinds of speech. In the everyday scheme there are people who can legally limit your speech.

sacrifices my friends, we've all had to learn to live with a few (too many)

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

This board is pretty much consistent with free speech and in my opinion the tolerance level is quite high. Brian gives much latitude and lets us pretty much police ourselves.

If you want to see free speech denied simply on the basis of what the BOD deems detrimental or disparaging to its members or the organization as a whole, then the ASHI board is not an example anywhere near what free speech is.

Recently a whole thread was removed simply because some of us were asking questions about the financial statements of ASHI of which as dues paying members we have a right to ask, discuss and see the documents, not just pieces of it.

So I think we should all be thankful we do not come under the pervue of draconian leaders who feel they can avoid having to provide answers under the guise that its detrimental or disparaging to the members. But then again thats what make this board unique we do not have to be dictated to by associations and its wayward thought process.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast