Andy Jarchow Guest

Default Is this Modified Bituman??

Hello all,

What would you call this roofing? Is it Modified Bituman or should I just call it rolled roofing?

As you can see from the photo 1 the roofing is held in place by a metal strip along the edge (some of it is held down). In some places I could see the nails popping up under the roofing material. I could also see areas where the plywood sheathing was coming loose and lifting.

Any idea what the third pic. is of?

Thank you for your help.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Is this Modified Bituman??

Pics are too small to tell very well. Roof does look more like a Bitumen type than asphalt. However the patch in pic 3 looks like a combo of rubber and asphalt. The white thing in pic 3 is what we typically call a 'roof udder'. Some one smarter than I will know the real name. The device is typically used by electricians and AC guys to bring lines through the roof. They work very well. Don't remember seeing a white one before though. UV rating might be questionable.
    I would be telling the client that a good roofer will likely call for full replacement. Once you take the popping nails and possible loose substrate into consideration, repair isn't very feasible.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Andy Jarchow Guest

Talking Re: Is this Modified Bituman??

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Pics are too small to tell very well. Roof does look more like a Bitumen type than asphalt. However the patch in pic 3 looks like a combo of rubber and asphalt. The white thing in pic 3 is what we typically call a 'roof udder'. Some one smarter than I will know the real name. The device is typically used by electricians and AC guys to bring lines through the roof. They work very well. Don't remember seeing a white one before though. UV rating might be questionable.
    I would be telling the client that a good roofer will likely call for full replacement. Once you take the popping nails and possible loose substrate into consideration, repair isn't very feasible.
    Thank you Markus. Here is an overall shot of the roof and a little bigger pic. Hope this helps.

Thanks again

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

I thought you said we were talking about a roof, not a skate board park. Sure hope the owners don't have teenage boys

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Andy Jarchow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    I thought you said we were talking about a roof, not a skate board park. Sure hope the owners don't have teenage boys
    lol

Philip Guest

Looks like a rubber roof, especially the flashing and the lack of overlap for asphalt rolled roofing. Nail pops would be a concern.