mathew stouffer Guest

Default Check Valve On Sump Pump?

Is this a check valve or simply an access.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Check Valve On Sump Pump?

Check valve. If you activate the pump and put your hand on the body you should be able to feel the movement of the flapper.
    That pit looks awful dry and rusty. I'd definitely want to trip the switch and see if that pump works.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

mathew stouffer Guest

I did, it work. The thing did not look like it was in very good shape. The sump was about to feet deep and is had a float switch on it, I had to reach down in there and I was just waiting for something to nibble on my hand

Now for the next question - why is the valve installed horizontally?

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    Now for the next question - why is the valve installed horizontally?
    As long as it is installed in the right direction, regarding gravity flow, I don't see where it would matter.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Far as I know they should be vertical. This valve was horizontal, I rotated the picture so you could read the lettering.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

I'm not sure, but I think the OP pic has a spring assisted valve. In either case when the water flows back to the sump it should close the valve.

Just read the part on the PVC valve that says it is under pressure. I guess it has a spring too! I can't believe the weight of the flapper makes a great deal of deference in its operation, but the mfg. says up is up .

mathew stouffer Guest

It's in a restaurant and they had to run the drain line inside the wall, that would be my guess.

The white PVC check valve is a typical modern unit designed to be installed vertically. On newer pit installs there tends to be more vertical run prior to horizontal run.
    The older brass type in the OP is designed to be installed horizontally. I am not aware of any of the older valves in that body configuration that are designed for vertical use. It is common for older pit discharges to have less vertical run.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

That sure does look like a grinder pump and not a sump pump. Looks like it needs a new lid and seals as well as a new pump based on all of that rust...... That lid should be sealed with a gasket so that it is pretty much air and water tight. Sump pumps deal with water and Grinder pumps deal with sewage.

FYI, when you find a grinder pump in a basement be sure you tell you client to make sure it is always on and never to turn it off.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Philip Guest

Mathew,
    Pour water into the Sump and save yourself an animal or insect bite. I never stick my hand, finger, or head into some unknown abyss.

mathew stouffer Guest

It a sump. But scott you are right, DIY lid.

The term "sump pump" seems to be exclusively used for a system that collects the ground water from under the home.

However, a sump is defined as nothing more than a pit or crock. Therefore, a "sump pump" could apply to either ground water or waste water applications.

Using a hose, or bucket of water, to check a ground water sump pump's function seems futile to me. I think that in many cases you'd find that the soil will absorbed the water poured into the sump just as fast as you could add it the water.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Pits that handle waster water are typically called ejector pits, at least here in the City. Don't know what goes on in the land of rolling hills, horses and oversized garages.
    In a properly installed sump pit there should be no amount of excessive soil that would normally absorb enough water to prevent testing. It is true that some amount of erosion soil will work it's way through the pipe and sleeves into the pit due to various causes. This is why pits should be assessed and cleaned annually. If there is enough soil to prevent testing with water there are likely larger defect issues that should be verified with a camera. A sump pit is commonly a container, plastic or steel, not just a hole in the ground.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

James Duffin Guest

One of the problems you see with check valves on sump and sewer pumps is that they are not full flow. If your pump will pump a 2" solid but the opening in the 2" check valve is only 1 1/2" then there could be a problem.

The OP picture is a swing check. Swing checks can be installed vertically as long as the flow is going up, and it can be installed horizontally . The new plastic check valves are warning you that there is water pressure above the flapper since it is holding back the water. They too can be installed vertical or horizontal as long as the hinge of the flapper is on top.

As to the term sump pump pit. It means clear water waste or just ground water. If there is any sewerage entering the pit it is then called an Sewerage ejector pit.

"Sump": A receptacle that receives sanitary or storm waste, located below the normal grade level of the gravity system, and emptied by pumping or gravity.

"Sump Pump": A pump for the removal of storm, subsoil and clear water waste drainage from a sump.

"Sewage": Any waste containing animal, human, or vegetable matter in suspension or solution, and may include liquids containing chemicals in solution.

"Sewage Ejector": A device for lifting sewage by pumping means.

What is the second pipe tied to? If it ties into the drainage venting system, then you have yourself a Sewerage Ejector pit, that needs a lid to be sealed. Also if the pump is a 2" discharge, its more than likely at ejector pump.

Philip Guest

The first time I heard, no read, the word 'sump' it was in reference to the oil in bottom of an engine and it is needed to be pumped up to lubricate the valves and cylinders. What we in America called the crankcase. That was a British Rover and a British Matchless Motorcycle. What it boils down to here in this application is that I want my check valves to be vertical. Will I voice my opinion to a working system, don't think so. It will always give you a funny feeling when you point out something and say this is wrong, only to be encountered with it's been wrong for twenty years, and has functioned just fine.