M Kelekci Guest

Default Metal to modified bitumen roof.

Is this a proper transition/flashing between metal and modified bitumen roof? (metal roof has 5/12 slope, modified bitumen roof is almost flat)
    Thank you all,

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Metal to modified bitumen roof.

I can't tell from the photo.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jim Hime Guest

From the photo it appears that they just tucked your bitumen up under the metal roof. Boy-o-boy, thanks for wind driven rain in the Gulf Coast areas.
    Not being there to see it I probably would have recommended that a 18/24-inch sheet of metal flashing (or other) be installed (under the metal roof and compatible to avoid galvanic corrosion) and sealed; then over-lapped your bitumen. I can't assume your bitumen was laid before the metal roof and ran up under the metal for any distance. I don't know the slope of your bitumen but water runs uphill when you have wind. A braver person would hit it with a water hose to see if it leaked or you could call it out for water testing.

M Kelekci Guest

Jerry
    This is the only photo I have. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hime View Post
    I don't know the slope of your bitumen but water runs uphill when you have wind. .
    Bitumen roof got standing water on it. So it is almost flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hime View Post
    A braver person would hit it with a water hose to see if it leaked or you could call it out for water testing.
    Are we suppossed to do that as home inspectors? What if it causes a water penetration damage? If it does, yes I will have proved that the roof is not properly sealed, but won't the owner say "It never leaked before". I don't know about others but I feel like I am not "brave" enough.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by M Kelekci View Post
    Bitumen roof got standing water on it. So it is almost flat.
    Ponding water is not allowed, and, the minimum slope required is 1/4" per foot, with some roof coverings requiring a greater slope (such as 1/2" per foot or more).

Jim Hime said "A braver person would hit it with a water hose to see if it leaked or you could call it out for water testing."

Are we suppossed to do that as home inspectors? What if it causes a water penetration damage? If it does, yes I will have proved that the roof is not properly sealed, but won't the owner say "It never leaked before". I don't know about others but I feel like I am not "brave" enough.
    I would not use the word "brave", I would use the word "stupid".

A STUPID home inspector would have used a water hose. When a home inspector is there inspecting for a buyer, you don't do "stupid" things like that.

HOWEVER, if you are there for the owner, trying to determine what is leaking where, sure, go ahead and do that.

Just remember, though, that if you spray the roof with a garden hose and come down and say 'Nope, didn't see any leaks.', you have just pronounced the roof "leak free", not taking into consideration that with wind driven rain there are positive and negative pressures going on which will drive/suck water in through places you would never be able to spray water with a garden hose.

Any home inspector who grabs a garden hose to test window, doors, roofs, etc., ... they deserve to be sued ... just like they probably will be.

If you are going to test something, you need to test it the proper and approved way, otherwise, you are *just looking foolish* standing there with a water hose thinking you are actually "testing" something for leaks.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

M Kelekci Guest

Thanks Jerry

That is what I thought.

M Kelekci Guest

By the way, what are the items you all pay attention to, when inspecting metal roofs? Anybody got a "metal roof check list". We don't see that many houses with metal roofs on them in Houston area.
    Thanks,