Default Shingle installation at valley flashing?

3-tab shingles have been installed parallel to valley flashing. My concern is the gaps between tabs will allow debris to accumulate and will also increase chance of leaks. I don't feel that this is an acceptable installation, however I would like other opinions.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Shingle installation at valley flashing?

Like you, I have not seen this before.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

"California Valley" modified to use with metal valley flashing. Most of the manufacturers allow this with a closed valley but I've never seen it with an open valley.
    I'd check with the installation instructions for the shingle manufacturer.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I'm with Jim and I can't figure why you would do it that way unless that valley flashing was not wide enough to begin with.

Depends on who the manufacturer is as to whether that is allowed. The "starter" shingles that run perpendicular to the rest of the shingles is called a bleeder strip. Of the major manufacturers in my area, I am only aware of Certainteed specifically mentioning this type of valley in their installation instructions.

In my opinion, they should have at least flipped the bleeder shingles around so the tabs weren't exposed. Also, I don't see how those shingles can be properly sealed down, unless they added tar.

I just spoke with Malarkey's rep. out of Portland, who said they do not allow it, and he wouldn't provide a letter stating that it was OK for the new roof installation I inspected last week.

It's a common installation around here, and I can't say that I've seen if cause a leak when everything else is done correctly.