Joseph Stevens Guest

Default Getting Started Details

I have not yet done any inspections yet and still training but I have a simple question.

If a client calls to set up an inspection do they then call the agent afterwords to make sure they can be there to let us in, or who usually does? It seems to me that there would be scheduling conflicts while trying to get 3 different people to the house for the inspection.

Is there any easier way or how does this usually work?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Getting Started Details

I think the answer is mostly regional.

In my area, the buyer's agent will contact the sellers agent, who in turn arranges for their client (the seller) to be home/not home/whatever is customary in your parts.. I ask the buyer to call their agent and make the calls. I follow up with an email or voice call later or whenever possible with someone to confirm.

Meet up with some local HI's, either by joining a local chapter of some group, or other networking strategies. You will likely have a million such questions soon.

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Stevens View Post
    I have not yet done any inspections yet and still training but I have a simple question.

If a client calls to set up an inspection do they then call the agent afterwords to make sure they can be there to let us in, or who usually does? It seems to me that there would be scheduling conflicts while trying to get 3 different people to the house for the inspection.

I tell the person calling me, I can be there 9 AM Wed or 1PM Thur. and have the caller call me back with what works for everyone else.
    If they don't call me back in a few hours, if some one else calls and wants one of those times, oh well, [ the bird in the hand will get first preference ] if I booked one of the times I gave the 1st caller as an option.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

I'll usually ask the buyer if they will make sure to let everyone know the time. Most often we set a time and I tell them I'll assume it's okay unless they call back. That way it cuts down on the number of calls to set one job.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Stevens View Post

The magic word is KEYBOX or Supre in our area. Without one you are at the mercy of the agent to meet you to let you in the home. Be prepared to hear every excuse under the sun as to why they are late getting there to do so. Most have no respect for your job and you'll soon learn that one lesson that they don't teach in the HI mills.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    The magic word is KEYBOX or Supre in our area. Without one you are at the mercy of the agent to meet you to let you in the home. Be prepared to hear every excuse under the sun as to why they are late getting there to do so. Most have no respect for your job and you'll soon learn that one lesson that they don't teach in the HI mills.

rick
    No wonder you can knock out 63 inspections in a month

I spend half my day making small talk with buyers on the front porch waiting..... and waiting.

I would say that 75% of my calls are from the potential client or buyer. I put the monkey on their back and tell them that they need to contact their agent and tell them that we have the inspection set for 1 PM or whatever time it is. I tell the caller that their agent or someone will need to make sure I can get into the home at that time.

This is how I have done it for around 15 years and it has worked pretty well for me. I have found that the agent will tend to listen or respond better to the client than me. Sure every now and then I get a call from the client or even the agent saying that they can't make that time because of a conflicting appointment, etc. Not a problem, I just offer them the next time slot I have open.

I really do not care for calling the seller, the agent, etc..... I make my client do a little work and it really does pay off down the road.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    No wonder you can knock out 63 inspections in a month

I spend half my day making small talk with buyers on the front porch waiting..... and waiting.

Small talk doesn't pay the bills. Time is money and money is time.

Ted Menelly Guest

I am getting paid for an inspection report for a home my client is thinking of buying.

I know how much all of you love this but I will express myself again.

I am doing an inspection. I call the scheduling agency and maybe the listing agent if I need a code. Of course the scheduling agency to tell them when I will be there.

I call the buyer back and tell them what time I have it set for. Yes, In the convo for setting an inspection up I get a general idea when would be good for them and I generally give them one or 2 options..

After I set the appointment with the scheduling agency or listing agent (sometimes the listing agent will arrange for the appointment with the seller, not the scheduling agency, I call the client and tell them when the appointment is for.

I don't care about the buyers agebnt or the listing agents preferences. I am doing an inspection that has nothing to do with them until it is done and the buyer goes over the report with them.

In short after all that.....I set the appointment...anyone else involved works with it. I do not wait to find out when it is good for the listing agent or buyers agent. The only one I have to contend with is the seller of the home because I am getting permission from them (ultimately) to inspect their home. The buyer must then arrange to make time available. They are thinking of buying the home. They must fit that into their schedule and make appropriate arrangements with their employer....not me fitting it into their schedule like starting at a time after they get out of work.

So, so many inspectors have all of this backwards. They try to work the clients, buyers agents, listing agents and sellers schedules so it works for all of them. Rethink it.

I have maybe a couple of change ups a year only because someone forgot that they are having company that day (the sellers). Sometimes I will get a call the night before from the buyer and they forgot about an appointment they made the week before for a work meeting or such. No, I am not heartless. But, I am not the one buying the home. They are. They must fit into my schedule the best they can.

Its simple.

If the agent calls to book the inspection for the client I tell the agent the time I am available and unless I hear otherwise I will be there for the time I stated.

If the client calls for the inspection I set the time up and tell the client to call the agent and arrange with the vendor. Again unless I hear otherwise I will be at the inspection at the time arranged.

Its not a complicated process and I have never had a problem since 1991.

Joseph Stevens Guest

I know this is an older thread but I had another question that goes along with this. When do you usually expect payment? Do you get a check from the client as they sign the inspection agreement? bill them in the mail? get a check on the way out?

Thanks for the replies in advance.

Some I get payment from when I book the appt. over the phone. I ask for their credit card right then to hold the appt. for them.

Some will insist that they pay you at the time of the inspection which is fine with me. If they get there and then tell me they don't have the payment or their checkbook, then I hold the report till I have the payment.

Don't do the billing thing as you'll probably get screwed somewhere down the road.

rick

Mitchell Toelle Guest

Joseph,

Get the check or money order in hand before you leave the site...even if you will be delivering the Report the next business day. Have the Contract signed before you start the Inspection, and preferably a day or more before the Inspection is scheduled so that the Client has proper time to read and digest what is in the Contract. Last minute Contract signings are an accident waiting to happen in court.

Other payment methods can be fine but will cost you something, ie: CC acceptance, Paypal, etc.....Oh, and cash is always a good thing.

Regarding your OP, as Ted M. said, I like to control everything. I set the day and time for the Inspection (exceptions might be problems with the Seller), then I pursue how I will gain entry. It might be a combo box on site, pickup the key at the Listing office, meet the Buyers Agent on site, have the Buyers Agent get the Supra box key a day ahead of time and give it to me, have the Seller let me in. If someone is meeting me and they are late I will start with the exterior and roof, and take lots of pictures. Document everything, conversations on the phone, who said what, etc.

Hope this is all helpful.

Last edited by Mitchell Toelle; 08-27-2010 at 01:23 AM. Reason: misspelling

Philippe Heller Guest

The discussion got a little off topic regarding payment, but it is an important point. Get paid before you release the report. No question about it. If the buyer is not at the inspection, do NOT release it. You will get screwed.

Now, back to scheduling. You should set up an email template that you send out after setting up an appointment. Get the buyer's and their agent's contact info incuding email address. Send everyone the email with the time, date, and address of the property. We also request no changes in the schedule, or cancellation within 24 hours of the inspection or we will charge $150. Doesn't work all the time but it at least causes them to have some respect for our time.

We also send a reminder email the day before just so we don't get stood-up.

Joseph Stevens Guest

Thank you guys you have been very helpful.

I will bill through escrow, but we charge a $75 fee. I know that some will end up not paying and I figure that with the additional fee, it ends up a wash. Most people will opt for paypal or paying with a check rather than the additional fee.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/