Mike Van Guest

Default Need of an Electronic Reporting System

Hello All,

New to the site. Just starting up my inspection practice and looking for some recommendations from the field on a good electronic reporting system. Would like to utilize a PDA during the inspection process.

Looks like Palm-Tech has a user friendly platform.

Any comments or direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Mike Van; 07-27-2010 at 11:06 PM.
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Need of an Electronic Reporting System

If your wanting to use a PDA, you might want to check into the following.

http://www.knightssoftware.com

I have been using HomeGauge for about 2-1/2 yrs. I like the ability to customize and make the report what I want. There are many features that I don't use or care for, but for the most part I think it's the best HI software on the market. I use their report uploading service which works out very well and is worth the extra $30 a month, plus the fee covers all future upgrades and new releases. They do have a PDA version, but I have not used it. I use a laptop that I set up at inspections. If you demo the software you will see that it's not to hard to learn the basics. They have great customer support and even have an on-line forum. As with all software it's not just ready to use out of the box. It takes a little work to get things set up the way you want and to get a good template built up.

Jeff Jonas Guest

Mike,

As you are in Canada, make sure that whatever software you end up with, that it is fully compatible with Canadian Laws, codes and issues. I recommend that you download Trial versions of all software you are interested in. Each one has it's own unique features. Not all are fully customizable.

You will also need to decide on how you will be creating your reports. PDA, Laptop, Tablet, Desktop?

If going PDA, I suggest Knights Software, as recommended by Rick.

All other formats, including Apple... Home Inspector Pro!

My software of choice is Home Inspector Pro Home Inspection Software - Home Inspector Pro - Home which is fully customizable and yes has a Canadian Version. The Support is second to none, 24 hours a day (seems Dominic never sleeps). Also note, their trial version is a 'full' version that you can start using right away.

Jeff

I think the AHIT report looks much better but don't know if they are Canadian compliant but would think they are, they're a big outfit with lots of support. Completely Word format, easy to changer to fit your style, drop down boxes to customize and eliminate typing by 90%.. once you learn the system, which doesn't take long, you have a great looking and very lawsuit avoiding reporting system, it literally guides you through the inspection and has tons of additional info without\t being like a binder.. good luck! P.S. American Home Inspectors Training Institute.. ahit.com