terry papp Guest

Default inspection soft wear

I would like to find out what the best software is for starting out as a home inspector, Please reply with what you use and why if possible .

Thanks Terry/ Ohio

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by terry papp; 07-21-2010 at 02:35 PM.
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: inspection soft wear

Most of the major vendors have free trial versions,

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Quote Originally Posted by terry papp View Post
    I would like to find out what the best soft wear is for starting out as a home inspector, Please reply with what you use and why if possible .

Thanks Terry/ Ohio
    Make sure whatever you end up buying has a good spell checker.
    Just kidding.
    I don't think there are any spell checkers that would catch "soft wear".
    It's software you're looking for.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

terry papp Guest

your right spell check will sure help me

Ron Bibler Guest

You should check them all out. Some you will need to almost go to school to run the programs.

Try this its very easy Home Inspection Software - Home Inspector Pro - Home

Best

Ron

I have used 3D since it was in DOS! I like it but if I had to choose one from scratch I would most likely go with Dominic's, Home Inspector Pro.

The only reason I have not switched is that I have around 14 years of verbaige that I have created and Dominic does not have a way to merge it at this time. One problem with 3D is the file size of the report, they get huge with just a few photos. From what I have been told it is due to how 3D is written.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I have used 3D since it was in DOS! I like it but if I had to choose one from scratch I would most likely go with Dominic's, Home Inspector Pro.

The only reason I have not switched is that I have around 14 years of verbaige that I have created and Dominic does not have a way to merge it at this time. One problem with 3D is the file size of the report, they get huge with just a few photos. From what I have been told it is due to how 3D is written.
    Use your own PDF software. Optimize the files before emailing them.

If it is just because you do not like the size of the files for you computer then do what Fritz said.

Also to the OP

Whisper software has a couple of very good versions and I am sure one or the other can fit any needs you have. Very customizable. Very reasonably priced.

Search the archives on this board, the software question has been addressed many times and you'll find lots of good info.

Dom.

my "soft wear" is generally a nice light pair of shorts with a light colored shirt so they can't see me sweat, Nice soft sole shoes so I can walk on every roof and a nice soft chair to sit in and type my reports with Homegauge software that is great with the best service and upgrades around. Well worth the price of membership.!!

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    my "soft wear" is generally a nice light pair of shorts with a light colored shirt so they can't see me sweat, Nice soft sole shoes so I can walk on every roof and a nice soft chair to sit in and type my reports with Homegauge software that is great with the best service and upgrades around. Well worth the price of membership.!!
    Membership?????????

i'm with ted, Whisper works well for me and the support couldn't be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Use your own PDF software. Optimize the files before emailing them.

If it is just because you do not like the size of the files for you computer then do what Fritz said.

Also to the OP

Whisper software has a couple of very good versions and I am sure one or the other can fit any needs you have. Very customizable. Very reasonably priced.
    Already do all of that! The problem with 3D is that it is a memory hog, a great program but it uses a ton of memory.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Mike Inspector Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post

Scott ,

What version of 3D are you currently using? The past couple of versions automatically downsize the photos to stop just what you are talking about. Also set you camera to 640 X 480 and snap away IMHO there is no need to take 3,4,5,6 or beyond whatever mega-pixel photos for any inspection. I average 14-20 pictures per report and the reports very rarely goes over 3 meg and very rarely goes over 1 meg in PDF.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Inspector View Post
    Scott ,

What version of 3D are you currently using? The past couple of versions automatically downsize the photos to stop just what you are talking about. Also set you camera to 640 X 480 and snap away IMHO there is no need to take 3,4,5,6 or beyond whatever mega-pixel photos for any inspection. I average 14-20 pictures per report and the reports very rarely goes over 3 meg and very rarely goes over 1 meg in PDF.

Mike
    Hi Mike,

I think I have 9.2v or something like that. I stopped upgrading a few years back as I just did not see the need and with every upgrade I seemed to have some issue that I needed to get help with. Not a big deal but it seemed like it was with every upgrade. 3D customer support was very poor a few years back, I do not know what it is like now so this might even be a moot point.

The picture sizes are really not an issue, most of my shots are in the 80 kb range and then as you said 3D makes them even smaller and then when they are placed in a PDF they shrink even more. I use the lowest resolution settings (email setting on my camera) when I take pictures for home inspections.

I like to try and keep the reports under 1 meg just to make it easier to email. On the lager reports over 1meg I usually upload them to my website for my client to view and download.

When I say memory hog, it relates to the size of the 3D file overall on my computer. It is huge when compared to other programs and to other reporting programs.

Anyway, it is not that big of a deal. As I said I like 3D and have used for longer than many on this board have even been in the profession. I just see some better programs on the market with Home Inspector Pro being one of them.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Mitchell Toelle Guest

Smile Re: inspection soft wear

Quote Originally Posted by terry papp View Post
    your right spell check will sure help me
    I'm sure you meant "You're" or "You are". Maybe a spell checker won't quite be enough. Sorry for picking but it gets frustrating reading posts, not just yours', but others (no names) where a spell checker or the best Inspection Software out there, simply will not help with improving a professional looking Report.

Maybe there have been other threads in this regard but the same mistakes seem to be happening, and by the same posters over and over again. Some pet peaves: to, too, two....whenever, when ever... there, their...then, than...are, our...etc...

Just saying!!! We all make mistakes. My point is that when they are repeats it sheds some light on who we are and our approach to a professionally written report. Our Clients can tell...and anyone reading our reports can tell.

Now someone is going to pick my posts apart. Just trying to help.