Judy Norris Guest

Default Moving Washer/Utility Drain in New Slab

I am in the process of having a new home built in the Houston Texas area by a local builder. Unfortunately, the plumbing or drain for the washer in the utility room was placed in the slab 16 inches from the wall and ended up in the closet under the stairs. They are telling me they can move the drain without jeopardizing the integrity of the slab or creating future drain problems with the washer. My concern is possible damage to the slab, drainage problems in the future if moved and the angle of the drain if left in current location. If the drain is left under the stairs in the back lower part of the closet, it could be walled off and no one would see it. However, I am concerned about the correct angle and resale value on the house. Any advice would be appreciated?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Elliot Franson Guest

Default Re: Moving Washer/Utility Drain in New Slab

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Norris View Post
    I am in the process of having a new home built in the Houston Texas area by a local builder. Unfortunately, the plumbing or drain for the washer in the utility room was placed in the slab 16 inches from the wall and ended up in the closet under the stairs. They are telling me they can move the drain without jeopardizing the integrity of the slab or creating future drain problems with the washer. My concern is possible damage to the slab, drainage problems in the future if moved and the angle of the drain if left in current location. If the drain is left under the stairs in the back lower part of the closet, it could be walled off and no one would see it. However, I am concerned about the correct angle and resale value on the house. Any advice would be appreciated?
    Ms. Norris: Assuming that you have competent contractors there is no great amount of difficulty involved in moving the drain. Even if they should accidentally cut a post-tension strand, these are rather easily reparable.

It's a fairly common occurrence in new construction to relocate a plumbing pipe or drain line once someone discovers the mistake. Cutting the slab isn't hard at all and shouldn't cause any damage.

James Duffin Guest

They might be able to re-route the drain without cutting into the floor if it can be offset under the stairs. Since you mentioned a wall to hide the drain this could be what they have on their mind. And there is no reason it will not work if done properly.

Judy Norris Guest

Thank you for the information.

How do we report a post to Brian? Seems there used to be a button that I cannot find...

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    How do we report a post to Brian? Seems there used to be a button that I cannot find...
    Just the contact us button and choose your option. Or hit the report button :-)

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

JL:

IF you are logged IN, you will see three (not one of your own posts) or four (if is one of your own posts) buttons at the bottom RIGHT of each POST. They are in order from left to right: "report", "quote", and the "multiquote" buttons, and if one of your own prior posts they will be in order from left to right "report", "edit", "quote", and the "multiquote" buttons (yes, you can end up reporting yourself, BTDT). If you are not logged in I think you only see one button, "quote", which will then prompt you to log in.

For the report process to work, you must have loaded the first script to have viewed the post(s), be logged in, and once you do click the report button, you have to load all the subsequent scripts during the process, but not necessary to load active x.

In summary, the report button appears as the first button in a series of three or four at the bottom right corner of each post, when you are viewing them in a "logged in" status.

HTH.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 07-30-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Just the contact us button and choose your option. Or hit the report button :-)
    Where the heck is the report button?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Report button is
    here-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\!/

Ted Menelly Guest

Where the heck is the report button?
    I know you are kidding but the report button is at the bottom right of every post on every thread Unless you updated to some new strange browser and it just does no show.