dan orourke Guest

Default Coffered ceiling joints

Last edited by dan orourke; 01-02-2008 at 07:50 AM.
    OREP Insurance

Jim Hime Guest

Default Re: Coffered ceiling joints

Sheetrock cracks along this area are common especially in the first 5 years after construction. The framing lumber has usually (expanded/contracted).
    I still write it up.

Why? It's readily visible. In my opinion the seller should have disclosed it even though he has a "perfect house" and I just want my client to know 1). that's it's there and, 2). let the seller know the buyer knows it's there.

Plus, I don't know if they ran braces under the joist ends along the rafter to the exterior walls in order to transfer the load path of the the joists to the top-plate (in lieu of just nailing to the rafters). Just nailing joists to rafters can cause rotation and shear. (R802.6)

...just my opinion

Picture?

RANDY NICHOLAS Guest

I AGREE WITH JIM. I SEE THEM IN MOST HOUSES WITH VAULTED AND COFERED CEILINGS THAT ARE GENERALLY AT THE EXTERIOR WALLS USEING THE ROOF RAFTERS AS THE SLOPED PORTION OF THE VAULTED CEILING.
    THE CRACKS ARE USUALLY IN THE DRYWALL TAPE JOINTS.
    I DO CHECK THE EXTERIOR WALLS/SOFITS FOR ANY MOVEMENT (GAPS IN THE FREIZE AND FASCIA BOARDS).
    I WRITE THEM AS COSEMETIC IN MOST CASES.

RANDY NICHOLAS
    Big Dog Home Inspections for the Dallas/Fort Worth Area of Texas. A liscensed home inspector for North Central Texas Tarrant and Johnson Counties.