Default No access to a double wide crawl space

Just finished the physical inspection of my first "double wide". All went well except when I tryed to get to the crawl space. There is a vinyl skirt with no visible access point. Much of the skirt was covered by plantings ( a lot of good looking roses with lots of thorns). I was ably to see through the plantings to the skirt and I am pretty sure the only way in is to "pop" one or two of the skirt sections. The home is 10 years old (per the Data plate) and I was afraid the sections of skirt might crack and break if I tried. Shall I report "access restricted" and suggest a professional installed inspect the crawl space or have I missed something and need to go back out there?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: No access to a double wide crawl space

Don, I have inspected lots of double wide Mfg. homes there are lots of them in central Florida. Normally you can find the plastic skirt sections which are easy to remove around the water shutoff there is a tag most Mfg. put on the side of the exterior wall indicating where the water shutoff is located. Even 10 year old shirt material is pretty resilient if you are hesitant to pull it up ask the homeowner or realtor present to help you but be sure to tell them you do not assume any responsibility if it is damaged. Believe me you can't do an adequate inspection with out looking under the unit; there could be damaged pinning, fallen insulation rotting floor components and plumbing leaks. Its a pain in the ass but the one you don't look under will come back to bite you.

Thomas W. McKay
    ASHI Certified Inspector

Thomas:

Thank you, I'll get with the owner and make arrangements. The water shut-off is inside the back door, in the "laundry room". There is a deck at the out side of this door that my cover the access panels. Other than the HUD label, I saw no markings.

A ten year old mobile home likely has the floor sub-system concealed by insulation and a woven fabric protective-covering. (Stone guard for traveling down the road).

If you can't open a section of the skirting to gain access, inform and disclaim.

Dom.

As Thomas said you should be able to find a location that is made for access. I have seen some skirts that have a panel that slides up and off and then some that you pull and pop out almost like vinyl siding. Ask the owner where is the best place to get under the critter and I bet they will help you out.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Pull the trim covering the top of the skirting up. There will be screws hold the panel in place. Undo the screws and try to slide it up. If it does not slide up then there will be a screw or two across the base strip.

Yes, you want to get under there. There will be a covering on the entire bottom but you want to see if it has been torn out in places by animals (watch out for the possible animals) and see if insulation is missing or if there are noticeable leaks. You will also find a large junction box under there you want to open and get a look inside. The termite folks want to get under there as well with so many piers and lots of shade there is a tremendous amount of places for the termites to come up. Straps holding the home down. This you will have to look into for the specs for such. etc etc etc etc.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Watch out for dreaded sagging or bulges in that blanket.

Too often discharges under as well, i.e. TPRV from WH closet, Dryer lint, etc. Have a wiggie with you, can be shocking discoveries below.

Gentlemen:

I went back this afternoon and made an access to the crawl space. Glade I did; found fallen insulation, moisture coming from the master bath and a damaged HVAC supply duct with a hole large enough for most small rodents. Also found several large slugs -- not my favorate creature.

Thank you all

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Don Horn View Post
    Gentlemen:

I went back this afternoon and made an access to the crawl space. Glade I did; found fallen insulation, moisture coming from the master bath and a damaged HVAC supply duct with a hole large enough for most small rodents. Also found several large slugs -- not my favorate creature.

Thank you all
    Slugs need high moisture. I know you found a leak but a crawl fan on a humidistat may be in order.

The ducts under the homes are always an issue. There is almost always a large return lying right on the ground.