Default Wood frame for Mobile Home Skirting

Hello.
    I just inspected my first mobile home and it had untreated 2x2 wood supporting the vinyl skirting around the exterior. Along the bottom of the skirting courses, the wood was in contact with the (commonly wet) ground. How common is this? Should I recommend it be replaced to reduce conditions conducive to WDO's?
    Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Wood frame for Mobile Home Skirting

Absolutely! Any wood within 18" of the ground is required to be rot resistant. Also remember there are different types of "treated" wood. Recommend treated wood that can be in contact with the earth.

Wayne, let's assume this is residential construction and not a manufactured home.

Do you have an IRC code cite I can look into for this? Reason I ask is that in the land of post and beam construction, our posts are typically much closer than 18" off of the ground, and are not PT or decay resistant wood.

Hi Luc,
    Yes it is a problem that should be called out and yes it is very common. If you continue to inspect mobile homes or older homes with crawlspaces, you will see untreated wood in contact with soil. I always call it out and recommend repair to prevent wood decay and attracting wood destroying insects in and around the structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    Wayne, let's assume this is residential construction and not a manufactured home.

Do you have an IRC code cite I can look into for this? Reason I ask is that in the land of post and beam construction, our posts are typically much closer than 18" off of the ground, and are not PT or decay resistant wood.
    Brandon, here ya go!

And here is a link to the ICC codes online.
    International

SECTION R319
    PROTECTION AGAINST DECAY
    R319.1 Location required.
    Protection from decay shall be
    provided in the following locations by the use of naturally
    durable wood or wood that is preservative treated in accordance
    with AWPA U1 for the species, product, preservative
    and end use. Preservatives shall be listed in Section 4 of
    AWPA U1.
    1. Wood joists or the bottom of a wood structural floor
    when closer than 18 inches (457 mm) or wood girders
    when closer than 12 inches (305 mm) to the exposed
    ground in crawl spaces or unexcavated area located
    within the periphery of the building foundation.
    2. All wood framing members that rest on concrete or
    masonry exterior foundation walls and are less than 8
    inches (203 mm) from the exposed ground.
    3. Sills and sleepers on a concrete or masonry slab that is in
    direct contact with the ground unless separated from
    such slab by an impervious moisture barrier.
    4. The ends of wood girders entering exteriormasonry or concrete
    walls having clearances of less than 0.5 inch (12.7
    mm) on tops, sides and ends.
    5. Wood siding, sheathing and wall framing on the exterior
    of a building having a clearance of less than 6 inches (152
    mm) from the ground.
    6. Wood structural members supporting moisture-permeable
    floors or roofs that are exposed to the weather, such
    as concrete or masonry slabs, unless separated from such
    floors or roofs by an impervious moisture barrier.
    7. Wood furring strips or other wood framing members
    attached directly to the interior of exterior masonry walls
    or concrete walls below grade except where an approved
    vapor retarder is applied between the wall and the furring
    strips or framing members.

Thanks Wayne,

I'm a little worn out right now, but don't see interior crawlspace posts covered, so I guess it's alright to stick them just about at grade level...

Any wood within 18" of the ground is required to be rot resistant.
    If a MFGH was considered a residential structure and built per the IRC, I would say the clearance requirement for untreated wood/ skirting materials would be 6"

Also, thanks for the link. I try not to read too much from anything but Oregon's code (ORSC) which is available on- line as well. I used to study both, but started confusing myself.

mm) from the ground.
    I think this would be the pertinent section.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Luc Lamarche View Post
    Hello.
    I just inspected my first mobile home and it had untreated 2x2 wood supporting the vinyl skirting around the exterior. Along the bottom of the skirting courses, the wood was in contact with the (commonly wet) ground. How common is this? Should I recommend it be replaced to reduce conditions conducive to WDO's?
    Thanks.
    I would not be so quick to condemn the skirt frame. Just tell them to maintain it.
    The skirt is temporary, and needs repair from time to time. It is a mobile home, right?

But, we have the less aggressive termites in my area, so the wood can become quite rotten and still be termite-free.
    In Washington state, I would do a little research. Some parts have dampwoods, some have subs.

Last edited by John Kogel; 07-29-2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: clarifying my cavalier atitude :)
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I would not be so quick to condemn the skirt frame. Just tell them to maintain it.
    The skirt is temporary, and needs repair from time to time. It is a mobile home, right?
    jk,
    i would not pass it. it provides wdo's something to munch on while heading for the whole enchilada(mh). 6" clearance to dirt with untreated skirting framing minimum.

mm) from the ground.
    I think this would be the pertinent section.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Luc Lamarche View Post
    I just inspected my first mobile home ...

The building codes do not apply to mobile homes, so you would need to check with the HUD code for mobile homes and see how that addressed skirting.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The building codes do not apply to mobile homes, so you would need to check with the HUD code for mobile homes and see how that addressed skirting.
    Maybe maybe not. Just because someone calls it a mobile home does not mean that it IS a mobile home. You do know that there are structures that look like mobile homes that are not mobile homes don't you?

But you are correct that building codes do not apply to mobile homes. Well not the building codes that everyone references anyway. There are building codes, just not the ones we are used too.

Besides HI's do not use codes. So a HI can call out anything they feel is not kosher. And I don't mean a pickle. Well I guess it could be a pickle, like getting in a pickle, but that would be hard to get in a pickle...that would be like the pretzle in the M&M. Have I lost you guys yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    in california they fall under title 25 the building code is title 24. we will inspect mh's for title 25 compliance and the clearance to dirt thing is one of the requirements that must be obeyed!

As far as I'm concerned, code is irrelevant. That doesn't mean it isn't a good general guideline, but it is outside inspection standards and authority. What if you are inspecting a structure that was built before codes existed and it has wood in the soil. Are you going to not call it out as a concern because it is grandfathered with NO code? Of course not. We inspect to accepted best modern building practices and safety regardless what, if any, code existed when it was built. Who can keep track of what the code was, if any, when every house was built and which one is being used in each jurisdiction, and how the individual government code inspector interpreted it? It's practically impossible. Stick to inspection standards and use your own building knowledge and experience and good sense. And, if you don't have hands on building experience, good luck!

Brent Lerwill, Coos Bay, Oregon

Will Gross Guest

I understood it a bit.Wanna add more light on it.FHA loans are available to anybody but are used most often by first-time home buyers and low- to moderate-income buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by brian schmitt View Post
    jk,
    i would not pass it...
    You're doing pass / fail inspections ? Under whose authority ?

All we're doing is noting conditions of concern. I would guess probably 60% of the mobiles have some rotted framing at lower edge(s) of the skirting.

It doesn't fail... it simply is what it is... note it and move on dot com

Joe Klampfer RHI
    www.myinspection.ca
    Pacific Home Inspections