Default Single ply roofing system

I was doing a condition assessment of an industrial building in southern California and ran across a mechanically fastened 45 mil single-ply roofing system. From the date code, it appears that the roof was installed in 1997; however, i was not able to identify a manufacturer (see pictures). As typical, no one I spoke with had any information about the system. Can anyone recognize this system or manufacturer based on the date code or the type of fastener? They have removed the buttons within six feet of the roof perimeter. They present a trip fall hazard.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Single ply roofing system

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Choffin View Post
    They present a trip fall hazard.

I do not have your answers, but I do have a question which needs to be asked:

"They present a trip fall hazard."

On a roof?

Is the roof used as a sun deck where there the roof will be used for regular foot traffic where those fasteners are? If so, the greater issue is that type of roof is not designed for regular foot traffic as would be generated for that use.

Are those fasteners at the designated, surface protected, walkways to mechanical equipment? If so, that type of roof is not designed for service foot traffic and should have runners laid out where the service persons should be walking and standing during servicing of the mechanical equipment. This is an item very commonly not installed even though they should be installed.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Its an industrial building and the roof has no other function. The trip fall comments was based on my experience walking the roof and tripping over the buttons.

The fasteners are located over the entire roof field and hold the membrane in-place. The maintenance staff occasionally walk the roof perimeter to clear debris.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Choffin View Post
    Its an industrial building and the roof has no other function. The trip fall comments was based on my experience walking the roof and tripping over the buttons.

The fasteners are located over the entire roof field and hold the membrane in-place. The maintenance staff occasionally walk the roof perimeter to clear debris.
    And under those conditions there is nothing wrong with those mechanical fasteners.

How many of those fasteners did you trip over before you learned to avoid them? I'm guessing not very many.

What you are asking is like saying that a tile roof has a trip and fall hazard at each tile course because a tile overlaps the tile below and that edge is 1/2" or thicker and is a trip and fall hazard.

Or that the plumbing vent stacks on the roof are a trip and fall hazard.

When you are on a roof there is an expectation that you are, will be, more aware and conscious of where you are and where you walk. Otherwise you would also need to write up no guard around the edge of the roof too.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

My apologies. I am not concerned about the potential or lack of potential for the trip/fall hazard from the buttons. It was just a side comment.

I'm more interested if anyone can help identify the manufacturer of the roofing membrane.

Looks similar to this one? The number meant nothing to the guy in our office who has done nothing but roofing for the past 20 years. Our best guess was that it was about 20 years old (original to the building). It was a ballasted EPDM system.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images