Geoff Stewart Guest

Default Deck to structure attachment

Ok, 5000 sf custom home built in '82. Rear deck, large, attached to the rim joist through siding and sheathing via nails, thru the joist hangers. No ledger, wrong!.......right?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Deck to structure attachment

It is very wrong, and could be dangerous.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Stewart View Post
    Ok, 5000 sf custom home built in '82. Rear deck, large, attached to the rim joist through siding and sheathing via nails, thru the joist hangers. No ledger, wrong!.......right?
    I would not even say "attached to the rim joist through siding".
    You really cannot see if it's attached to anything.

The deck is unsafe.
    Possibility that the deck will collapse.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

was it engineered, inspected and approved by the ahj?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Stewart View Post
    Siding should have been removed in that area and a ledger board bolted to the house with flashing going up uner the siding and over the ledger board to prevent water damage. the joist hangers are great but not as they are used in that photo.

Had a similar situation and this is what it looked like underneath.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ditto the other comments; chances are those joist hanger nails are barely biting into the framing under the siding.

This brings up a question. How often do any of you see a deck actually constructed correctly?

I have yet to see more than a very very few done right. I always find ledger, flashing, railing, stairs issues etc...

I am beginning to think decks take a rocket scientist to construct.

Here is an interesting video on ledger bolting patterns ( that assuming you have a ledger )

IRC Ledger Bolting Pattern - YouTube

Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hester View Post
    This brings up a question. How often do any of you see a deck actually constructed correctly?

I have yet to see more than a very very few done right. I always find ledger, flashing, railing, stairs issues etc...

I am beginning to think decks take a rocket scientist to construct.

Here is an interesting video on ledger bolting patterns ( that assuming you have a ledger )

IRC Ledger Bolting Pattern - YouTube
    the problem with decks being built unproperly is either home owner training by videos, not knowing the properway or the reasons why certain things are done and think they are un needed. the other is contractors, most sates require license for plumbers electricians etc but carpenters? normally just a registration fee. so you got a pick up truck and a hammer you can be a contractor.

Incidentally, on a slightly different note............on my own deck, I had dry rot in several of the joists including the ledger board. So, I did a total tear off. The flashing on the ledger board was completely rusted in places and gone. I surmise that my dogs (four males) have been peeing on the wall for the last seven years and the acidity of their urine had dissolved the galvanized flashing.

Since, I deemed it unlikely that the dogs would see the error of their ways and stop using the wall as a urinal, I decided to try something a little different. On top of the new flashing, I placed a strip of 15lb. roofing felt to deflect the urine past the flashing. The flashing and felt are now hidden by the deck planking so I really don't know how well it is working. In a few years, I'll pull the first plank and see if this has worked, but maybe one of you guys has a much better idea.

Lon, you actually have a flashing... good job .

Micheal, you are correct, but I also know contractors that botch it all the time.

I had on contractor tell me how he does it (completely non compliant) and I corrected him on a few points and then he stated well that's a coast thing. I'm thinking really????

This seems to be an area of construction that gets taken way too lightly.

Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Derrick View Post
    . . . .. so you got a pick up truck and a hammer you can be a contractor.
    Actually, it's much more stringent than that. Having a dog is also a requirement.

Deck on house today was just about perfect. Flashing, blocking, bolts, stairs, the works. It was a 1 in a 1000 I see. Most "contractor" built decks are not much better than the typical DIYer.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

I was finally able to make out the outline of the painted joist hangers on one or two hangers. Maybe they used 3 inch spiral nails but that won't get it? A ledger board with thru bolts, spacers and flashing is kosher now.

Yesterday.....ledger board nailed, no screws or lags, just nailed to.......a cantilever overhang (hopefully, 16p. 2X10 joists secured to ledger board with 2X4 joist hangers (already trying to pull out). Major dry rot in joists, so of course, as everyone knows, all you have to do is just scab some 2X10 pieces over the rotted areas..........the stairs shaking like soft set jelly was barely worth mentioning.