Default Need an opinion from a sweep...

I came across this vent termination in a housing track built in 1988, which all of the houses were identical. The box is a majestic MBUC36 and the instructions that i could locate do not show this type of termination, it just shows a cap. So my question is, should there be a separation of the debris flue and cooling flues within this shroud? And / or is the cooling system too close to the debris flue (center flue).

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Need an opinion from a sweep...

I can not see the rest of the chase top but that looks like a improperly installed decorative chase top.

To meet the standard in my area there would need to be a cap inside of a listed decorative shroud, it would need to be big enough to have clearance for the cap from the inside of the shroud and the chimney would need to extend above the chase top an amount determined by the chimney manufacture (6"-12" usually) and other details clearances etc. In other words installed as per the listing and instructions.

My copy of NFPA 211 spells out "3-1.4 Decorative shrouds at the termination of a factory-built chimney shall not be permitted.
    Exception: Decorative shrouds listed for use with the specific factory-built chimney system."

In my area we have had a few chase fires and the FD has been telling whole subdivisions to not use there fireplaces until these shrouds are removed and replaced with proper caps with clearance etc.

That said I am not a sweep but a licensed fireplace installer, solid fuel tech, ymmv.
    Enjoy

Default Re: Need an opinion from a sweep...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tilleux View Post
    I can not see the rest of the chase top but that looks like a improperly installed decorative chase top.

To meet the standard in my area there would need to be a cap inside of a listed decorative shroud, it would need to be big enough to have clearance for the cap from the inside of the shroud and the chimney would need to extend above the chase top an amount determined by the chimney manufacture (6"-12" usually) and other details clearances etc. In other words installed as per the listing and instructions.

My copy of NFPA 211 spells out "3-1.4 Decorative shrouds at the termination of a factory-built chimney shall not be permitted.
    Exception: Decorative shrouds listed for use with the specific factory-built chimney system."

In my area we have had a few chase fires and the FD has been telling whole subdivisions to not use there fireplaces until these shrouds are removed and replaced with proper caps with clearance etc.

That said I am not a sweep but a licensed fireplace installer, solid fuel tech, ymmv.
    Enjoy
    Great information, thanks for your time.