Thread: Home Project

Default Home Project

What do you think of my latest project. If you don't have shade, you've got to build you some.

rick

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: Home Project

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    What do you think of my latest project. If you don't have shade, you've got to build you some.

rick
    Can't make out the underside/roof structure, etc. with contrast of photos. Curious what you may have there, fans, lights, etc.

Looks like the gutters/roof overhangs darn close to the pool edge, and some of my questions have to do with the setbacks I thought were minimally requred there in Rockwll, TX. Since the porch roof ext. is to the home structure, thought there was a min. one-to-one ratio of setback from the structure to the depth of the pool exc. True? or was this determined from the posts/footings/tension slab supporting the roof structure?(guessing pool pre-dated patio/porch roof addition.

No sideyard setback restrictions for the main structure extension (porch roof overhang) where you are? Cover restriction percentages (permable vs. imperm)?

How do you keep crud from the planted (yuccas?) retaining wall washing, out of/into the pool? cover?

Curious if you had/have to make further modifications when adding covered roof to former patio area with close prox to pool....

Any of those 2nd story windows at bedrooms? are they alarmed?

They didn't make you adapt glazing?

No guard pool side for porch roof required?

Is there an exterior way of exit access? I see no discharge?

Pool looks rather close to o/s wall of home, did you require additional engineering for covered porch posts (pool wall and foundation wall)?

What's the elevation from porch roof to that near corner 2nd story window sill? What's the elevation at the corner Ell of porch roof?

Does the porch gutter overhang the pool? where's the downs?

What's that undereave 2nd story ell? a o/s light?

Where is the pool equipment hiding? Any plans for retractable bug screening?

and finally,

When is the party?

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 07-31-2010 at 11:10 AM.

P.S. what are the plans for the now covered foundation plantings area?

Incomplete, unsatisfactory and unsafe finishing methods
    - No BBQ grille insight - without it the rest is a waste of money
    - No handrail at two treads below grade - what's AD supposed to hang onto after a few
    - Pool isn't deep enough - so much for that snorkeling gear in the garage
    Have fun with it.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Looks great. Do people use misters on their patios there? I've seen that a few places where it was hot, and it was pretty nice.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

chris mcintyre Guest

Looks great Rick, I love the stained wood.

Now the neighbors don't have to go home for lunch, they can stay all day!

Well ...

There is that wrong flashing along the roof at the upper wall, and ...

and the water is too low in the pool, and ...

where are the hand holds or safety rope along that side wall (I'd have to look up and see if those are still required, the newer standard may have done away with those safety aspects because too many people said they were too ugly), and ...

sorry, what was it you were pointing out?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Looks inviting, Rick.

If I was inspecting it, though, I'd have to call out the flashing, as JP already did. Surprised Huggy missed it.

We would also want those posts to be up on concrete piers, but it rains a lot more up here. I see the posts are attached to the beam with metal straps on one side only. Is that OK in Texas?

BTW, nice pad. With the shrubs gone, there'll be plenty of room under there for a double BBQ and a beer fridge. Let us know when it all ready.
    "Huggy" didn't miss anything regards to questionable counterflashing or flashing concerns at roofing projection from brick veneer addition. "Huggy" asked questions before specifying, since without such information one cannot pontificate about the drainage path of near corner window pan in brick veneer drainage.

Regards to the "Huggy" references, KNOCK IT OFF JOHN KOGEL.

The stupidity of installing a B.B.Q. under the addition goes without saying.
    Use of refrigeration equipment within the pool zone would also be an issue, but I wouldn't expect J.K. to "get it". Hence questions regarding scale/distance as well.

I expect the "planting" area is more than just that - as an engineered separation to maintain soil moisture/protecting and stablizing the foundation, as the region is known for its expansive soil "issues" in that regard. Again, hence the questions.

There appear to be projections from the wall - cannot see detail with resolution when blown up. Unknown if they are handholds.

The region has adopted the Uniform Pool code with local ammendment in addition.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    "Huggy" didn't miss anything regards to questionable counterflashing or flashing concerns at roofing projection from brick veneer addition. "Huggy" asked questions before specifying, since without such information one cannot pontificate about the drainage path of near corner window pan in brick veneer drainage.

Regards to the "Huggy" references, KNOCK IT OFF JOHN KOGEL.

The stupidity of installing a B.B.Q. under the addition goes without saying.
    Use of refrigeration equipment within the pool zone would also be an issue, but I wouldn't expect J.K. to "get it". Hence questions regarding scale/distance as well.

I expect the "planting" area is more than just that - as an engineered separation to maintain soil moisture/protecting and stablizing the foundation, as the region is known for its expansive soil "issues" in that regard. Again, hence the questions.

There appear to be projections from the wall - cannot see detail with resolution when blown up. Unknown if they are handholds.

The region has adopted the Uniform Pool code with local ammendment in addition.
    The planting area against the house is for soil retention against the foundation. All planter areas have an underground drainage system. The planter to the left side of the pool wall is below the top of the stone wall so there is no drainage from that area into the pool.

The "handle" you mention on the pool wall is actually a water feature into the pool.

As far as the flashing, I can assure you it is correct. It is installed within the brick and sealed. I had the flashing done by one of the most reputable roofing contractors in Dallas.

The posts are 6X6 anchors to the deck. The posts are setting on the pool decking and not the pool wall. The outer beam of the pool deck is 24 inches thick as I poured the decking myself.

The guttering downspouts terminate to the sides and connect to an underground drainage system.

The actual distance from the pool to the rear wall of the house is about 15ft. Setback to the side at property line is 6ft.

Choose not to do an outdoor grill directly below the covered area due to smoke. I'll be building an outdoor grill and firepit to the rear of the pool area this fall.

Loving the shade in this 100+ degree weather. And the pool helps too.

rick

Rick,

Thanks for the responses so far. Not so sure I understood the reponses.

Are you saying the porch roof extension is six feet or more away from the fence or the pool is six feet from the side property line? (IIRC pool must be at least 3').

Question still remains regarding the one to one ratio clearance from structure to inground pool wall distance-to-depth of excavation of pool...and considering this addition is one to the structure, thereby extending the structure itself...Is the pool excavation depth less than 2 feet, seeing as you apparently said the posts are anchored 2-feet away from the inside (water side) of the pool liner?

P.S. more concerned with cant(s), and weeps/drainage for the brick veneer, esp window sills above and moisture drainage below the roof line. Wouldn't subscribe re-enginering of flashing and drainage paths for same to "roofer expertise" usually. Then again, perhaps you never get high winds with a rainfall event.