Thread: sun city

Richard Stanley Guest

Default sun city

For anyone inspecting in the Georgetown / Austin Tx area that may have inspected in Sun city.

We visited there for a couple hours on Friday - looked at the models and a house that a friend is purchasing.
    One of the models has construction examples on display; 2 x 4 wall studs, looks like maybe r-13 insulation in walls, AND a mofied EIFS exterior cladding, (it showed chicken wire used for mesh). The new one (friends) did have a radiant barrier installed. It seems that Pulte is there in house builder.

Also wondering if they even allow inspections - no, I did not ask - am not going to live there.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: sun city

Yes they do allow inspections. I have done a few in Sun City. People who live there really seem to love it.

Richard Stanley Guest

thanks for the reply.
    It's a little too sterile for me....ie; stepford wives, etc.
    Reminds me of an elephant burial ground -- they go there to die!!!

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Stanley View Post
    thanks for the reply.
    It's a little too sterile for me....ie; stepford wives, etc.
    Reminds me of an elephant burial ground -- they go there to die!!!
    Richard,

LOL. I'll have to pass that along to my brother. He retired to Sun City back shortly after they first opened. He retired from The Associated Press as a Sports Writer as well as U.S. Navy. He still writes a few local golf columns and is always out there on the links. Gets invited to many special events and new golf course openings to write articles about same.

My view is somewhat similar, but yours was "well articulated".

Y'all considering moving North from the Sparkling City by the Sea?

A significant number of homes in the Sun City development in Huntley, IL were built without building paper behind the vinyl siding. Apparently someone thought that it wasn't important. They also have several homes with improperly bonded electric systems. Needless to say the contractors are not all up to speed.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Richard Stanley Guest

Nolan --This is probably our annual 'think about it' ritual.
    I love the hill country - especially the lack of humidity - or at least the amount we have here. A couple days there and my sinuses are near clear -- then we are back here and its sinus attack all over again. I've only been dealing with it for most of the last 50 years.... gets worse with age.

I am familiar wit the Sun City in SC. Most adult communities look about the same, but you don't have the kid next-store to you tuning his car in the driveway, loud parties, fireworks at obscene times, etc. as you would in a mixed community. But it has a lot of advantages in the recreation facilities.

Now for the personal observations about the construction. As an example, they use PEX piping----no problem if they use the recommendations provided by the manufacturer of the piping-----but they don't. The whole house is run with 1/2" pipe without a manifold. They do not use a 3/4" "backbone" run, say to the bathroom, and tap off with 1/2". Had the plumber tell me they are allowed 3 devices "per code" on 1/2". And, by the way, "water runs faster in 1/2" PEX than in 3/4" PEX". Just using the fittings for 3 devices will slow the water flow tremendously. Thinking of moving there, if I can sell the house here. Because of the discrepancies noted above and others, will inspect myself and also get a local HI for new construction inspections. Someone here in the past said "if you only build to code and one item is substandard---you have a unsafe house." The contractor will not work with you to make changes.

Richard Stanley Guest

The one in Texas has 7 models. Pick one - what you see is what you get - no changes. You can screen in a porch if you want and you can add a deck at the back. They are all lined up in rows. The golf courses (3) seem to be very good (I didn't play). Many of the residents have golf carts and that seems to be the best mode of transportation in the community - they are everywhere. lots of 'community' buildings for hobbies, fitness, etc. $1,000 annually for common maintenance. Your own yard is your responsibility and the yard police are watching you. No condos, only single family now - When it first opened a few years ago there were some duplexes. Probably more than you wanted to know....

William Brady Guest

Hello Richard,

Just noticed you statement about the EIFS on the home. I see that all the time in NM and AZ. Plute is not the only builder using that process, It's conventonal stucco using EPS stapled and the wire. They usually use a WRW or some kind also.

Consider, Las Cruces for it's dry weather and great climate. It's not the hill country but a good place to start the retirement thing going. My kids are in Austin and Huston and while I love to see them and the children I love getting back to the low humidity. Hate that wet feeling.