Thread: NOTCHED BEAM

Default NOTCHED BEAM

Small commercial building; The beam is apparently oversized but I am pretty sure that a notch in a beam is worse than a smaller beam as far as structural integrity goes. Any feedback appreciated.

That duct tape looks pretty dated and I am guessing it is not UL listed tape.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: NOTCHED BEAM

The beam does look pretty large, 2x14,16? Looks bigger than a 12. Also likes like the backside of a staircase or platform maybe. The notch itself worries me much less than the question of beam support on the other side of the duct.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

IRC 2009 R802.7.1 Sawn Lumber: Notches in solid lumber joists, rafters, blocking , and beams shall not exceed one-sixth of the depth of the member, shall not be longer than one-third of the depth of the member, and shall not be located in the middle one-third of the span.

Jerry McCarthy

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Butler View Post
    Small commercial building; The beam is apparently oversized but I am pretty sure that a notch in a beam is worse than a smaller beam as far as structural integrity goes.

Being a small commercial building there is a good chance that it has been through several upfits. What once was an open span may now have a wall or walls shortening the span, which would explain the apparent over sized beam, from the picture it looks like there has been some modifications...just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    Being a small commercial building there is a good chance that it has been through several upfits. What once was an open span may now have a wall or walls shortening the span, which would explain the apparent over sized beam, from the picture it looks like there has been some modifications...just a thought.

Nonetheless, though ... refer to West Coast Jerry's reference.

The code does not say that it is referring to the "required size", the code is referring to the entire size as installed. If a 2x8 is required and a 2x12 is installed, that does not mean you can notch out 4" in the center and still leave the 2x8 required size - the code means you still are not allowed to notch in the center one-third of the span ... regardless.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    IRC 2009 R802.7.1 Sawn Lumber: Notches in solid lumber joists, rafters, blocking , and beams shall not exceed one-sixth of the depth of the member, shall not be longer than one-third of the depth of the member, and shall not be located in the middle one-third of the span.

Jerry McCarthy

Just a note: NC residential code allows 1/3 of the depth when ceiling joist or rafter. (I know J.P. ...... it is NC!) Is this in any other state?

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Vern...

Was there a change from the 2006 to 2009 (NC) IRC (I only have copies up to the 2006) ?
    The notch "depth" can't exceed 1/6 and the "length" of that notch can't exceed 1/3:

R802.7.1 Sawn lumber. Notches in solid lumber joists, rafters and beams shall not exceed one-sixth of the depth of the member, shall not be longer than one-third of the depth of the member and shall not be located in the middle one-third of the span. Notches at the ends of the member shall not exceed one-fourth the depth of the member. The tension side of members 4 inches or greater in nominal thickness shall not be notched except at the ends of the members. The diameter of the holes bored or cut into members shall not exceed one-third the depth of the member. Holes shall not be closer than 2 inches to the top or bottom of the member, or to any other hole located in the member. Where the member is also notched, the hole shall not be closer than 2 inches to the notch.
    Exception: Notches on cantilevered portions of rafters are permitted provided the dimension of the remaining portion of the rafter is not less than 4-inch nominal and the length of the cantilever does not exceed 24 inches.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hahn View Post
    Vern...

Was there a change from the 2006 to 2009 (NC) IRC (I only have copies up to the 2006) ?
    The notch "depth" can't exceed 1/6 and the "length" of that notch can't exceed 1/3:

R802.7.1 Sawn lumber. Notches in solid lumber joists, rafters and beams shall not exceed one-sixth of the depth of the member, shall not be longer than one-third of the depth of the member and shall not be located in the middle one-third of the span. Notches at the ends of the member shall not exceed one-fourth the depth of the member. The tension side of members 4 inches or greater in nominal thickness shall not be notched except at the ends of the members. The diameter of the holes bored or cut into members shall not exceed one-third the depth of the member. Holes shall not be closer than 2 inches to the top or bottom of the member, or to any other hole located in the member. Where the member is also notched, the hole shall not be closer than 2 inches to the notch.
    Exception: Notches on cantilevered portions of rafters are permitted provided the dimension of the remaining portion of the rafter is not less than 4-inch nominal and the length of the cantilever does not exceed 24 inches.

Dave
    I think there may be a mis-print in the 2006 code! Take a look at the fig. 502.8 pg. 82. I thought it was kinda funky!

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Joao Vieira Guest

Metal plate takes care of business if it is even an issue. The beam seems pretty strong unless it's just a veneer cover

Simpson had different sleeves for wood-framing reinforcements but I am not sure if they have for such a big thing.