mathew stouffer Guest

Default What type of siding is this?

Home was built in 1960. What is this called, and is it structural? Foe brick, made of wood. I know there are a lot of issues in the pics

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: What type of siding is this?

I've never seen that stuff before, but I'd be shocked if it's structural.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

mathew stouffer Guest

That is what I thought, but it is about 3 inches thick and I didnt see studs in some areas.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    That is what I thought, but it is about 3 inches thick and I didnt see studs in some areas.
    It does look like short ends from a stud mill or truss factory. I see they used diferent lengths in some parts of the walls.
    Whatever it is, it is trouble, judging from pic 1. That wall is bulging out and the blocks are separating at the lower corner by the door frame.

Last edited by John Kogel; 08-09-2010 at 08:08 PM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

James Duffin Guest

What's behind that metal skirting?.....

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Not commenting specifically to what is pictured, or WAG'ing as to (no xray vision/crystal ball) as to the manner of construction in this case; but sheathing can be (and often is - in frame construction) structural and serve as finish material as well, such as some of the quarter-log and half-log siding, ship-lap, etc.

"Foe" as in enemy, or did you mean "faux" or fake, as in artifical finish appearance.

Unknown material, no details. Apparently panels. Could be cementious, asbestos, wood composite, etc., might be applied to sheathing on site or pre-manufactured panels. Unknown if intervening gyp sheathing, impregnated fiber board, plywood, or others. Frankly unknown if applied over framing, block, or other construction, can't see much in the photos.

It gives the appearance of scrap pieces of 2x4"s or slices of same, having been layed or laminated in a brick pattern, have seen similar running bond brick pattern with faux bamboo, stone, and wood grain finishes. Suppose it could even be masonry formed or some sort of plastic or vinyl. There have been for years a number of interlocking panels (usually staggered edges with pattern) of such siding panels made from all kinds of materials, polyurethane, composites, etc. Some pre-mounted and structural, some containing insulation qualities, some relying on mounted metal tracks for installation, most not in recent years.

Appears to be painted.

Old motel, camp, or apartment housing?

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 08-10-2010 at 07:14 AM.

mathew stouffer Guest

It's wood, almost like it was put together in sections. Does not appear to be made from scraps. When I looked behind the drywall in some areas the material is visible on the interior. It appears to be about 3 inches in thickness.