Default The One That Got Away

The whole deal was a little shaky, but I called and confirmed last night. I show up this morning and see this. It was even worse than it looks in the photo. As we're getting ready to get started, I overhear her on the phone telling someone that she is with the pest inspector. I tell her that my inspection is not a pest inspection, but a home inspection.

It turns out that she didn't want to do a home inspection. The bank is requiring a pest inspection, and she claims the lender gave her my name as a pest inspector. Probably not true, but I was glad to get out of there just the same. It would have probably been my worst house of the year.

We talked for a little while at the property, and I tried to steer her into tearing it down and starting over. The lot is a sweet deal at her price, even if she does have to tear it down.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

RANDY NICHOLAS Guest

Default Re: The One That Got Away

Jim,

I've walked away from some better looking properties than that.

UNINSPECTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is too much liability there.

RN

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Take heart Jim. If it is meant to be, it will come back to you.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Mike Inspector Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY NICHOLAS View Post
    Jim,

I've walked away from some better looking properties than that.

UNINSPECTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is too much liability there.

RN

Whaaat no way! It is the new 2500 square footer that sneaks up and bites. Ones like that you throw everything at it, those keep you sharp and suck the life out of you for the day.

Mike

We have parts of town full of stuff like that... I've never understood how you can have a 1000 sq ft house that has had 4 additions put on?

Looks like a bunch of Home Depot sheds trucked in and all screwed together.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Looks like it has potential for being a meth lab if the price is right.

rick

James Duffin Guest

I ended up doing that inspection. Here are some pictures of the basement.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

I'm so glad we don't have basements in the Dallas area.

Post Re: The One That Got Away

That looks like a 9 hour job.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Speaking as someone who has inspected more than his share of atrocities, houses like that believe it or not don't take as long as you think. Sometimes things are so bad with a particular area or system that I'll state the obvious defects and then make a blanket statement recommending that an entire system be serviced by the appropriate professional and all repairs/replacements made as needed. If you try to document every little defect in a house like that, you'll drive yourself insane.

Post Re: The One That Got Away

That's a good point, Nick. I have another "one that got away" story. Fellow calls and schedules an appointment. Two (2) days later, calls and says: "I've been calling around, and the other guys will do it for $X.00". In a nutshell, the "other guys" are severely underselling themselves, or they are not providing much in the way of service. Any way, it is somewhat humorous how some people will quibble over $95.00, when they are signing a note for more than a sixteen-hundred times that amount. The last time this happened, the "cheap" inspection cost the guy another $25,000.00 in court costs and settlement fees when his "cheap" inspector failed to give proper advice and failed to properly document findings. So much for "the other guys". On a side note, e-mail traffic suggests that the real estate agents are happy with the "change". Probably counting the "extra change" they will be taking away from closing! The poor fellow has no clue, yet. Every once in a while, I just have to laugh at some of the things I see.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

JAMES
    what did you charge for this wreak--and did you finish job -or walk and say this is a demolish job. the report had to be 100 pages long. i would have asked buyer "WHat ARE YOU PLANNING TO DO WITH THIS PROPERTY" if their answer was gut it and tear it down. i would have said, "good choice". pay me for my trip $150 and booked.

cvf

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    I ended up doing that inspection. Here are some pictures of the basement.
    James, how could you inspect a home in New Mexico when you are in another state

GOOD POINT DAVID

james please explain your travel cost on this one

cvf

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by David Garton View Post
    James, how could you inspect a home in New Mexico when you are in another state
    I was adding to the story.... with a bit of breavety.... never been to NM....

james
    stick to the thread and don't do what you did. don't waste our time to replys on your imagination. be constuctive. apoligize to jim he was asking for advice not what you gave.

cvf

James Duffin Guest

I'm sorry Jim....CVF got confused....hope you didn't. I was wrong in my impression this was a light-hearted post and you were not looking for information.

I got it James. I don't think Jim was looking for any help or advice on this one............

To stay on topic....... I actually enjoy inspecting some of those, as long as I know what to expect ahead of time. I see some cool stuff, and like Nick said "make blanket statements". I've done several that other inspectors refused to inspect; it's all about managing clients expectations.

James,

Reminds me of the Batman movie where Jack Nicholson sat down at the restaurant table with Kim Basinger and looked through her photographs - Crap, Crap, Crap.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

I've done a few like that that went something like this: roof needs to be replaced, walls need to be replaced, electrical system needs to be replaced, Plumbing system needs to be replaced.
    Summary: the house is beyond practical repair within normal reason.

Verbal summary: This house is a pusher... Hire a bulldozer and push it out of the way and start over.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

No, I was with him all the way. I needed some back up, and James took it on for me. We've all had that house, or you will soon enough. Not looking for advice, just sharing what may have been a negative but actually worked out to be a positive for me.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA