Default Help me out on this question..bathroom fan

On an inspection right now and looknig for some help. Is an exhaust fan required by code in the bathroom, if the bathroom has an operable window? I am in a modern house and found the exhaust fan for the master bathroom lying in the attic. The installer never cut a hole in the bathroom ceiling for the fan. The fan, duct and electrical are all lying in the attic, however not installed in the bathroom below. The bathroom does have an operable window.Is an exhaust fan required by code in the bathroom, if the bathroom has an operable window?

Thanks

Gene

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Elliot Franson Guest

Default Re: Help me out on this question..bathroom fan

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    On an inspection right now and looknig for some help. Is an exhaust fan required by code in the bathroom, if the bathroom has an operable window? I am in a modern house and found the exhaust fan for the master bathroom lying in the attic. The installer never cut a hole in the bathroom ceiling for the fan. The fan, duct and electrical are all lying in the attic, however not installed in the bathroom below. The bathroom does have an operable window.Is an exhaust fan required by code in the bathroom, if the bathroom has an operable window?

Thanks

Gene
    Mr. South: Not required with operable window.

Philip Guest

Someone will post the official rules, but I believe an operating window is all that is required, or at least that is how I have always treated it.

Post Re: Help me out on this question..bathroom fan

Why not indicate that the bathroom ventilation fan appears to be improperly installed? Or, just write what you see, and let your client address it with the builder. Either way, it makes one wonder about the quality of the rest of the house.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Mr. South: Not required with operable window.Today 10:37 AM"Mr. South: Not required with operable window."

Yes,but
    Window must also have a screen installed.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

"
    R303.3 Bathrooms.
    Bathrooms, water closet compartments
    and other similar rooms shall be provided with aggregate glazing
    area in windows of not less than 3 square feet (0.3 m
    2),
    one-half of which must be openable.

Exception:
    The glazed areas shall not be requiredwhere artificial
    light and a mechanical ventilation system are provided.
    Theminimumventilation rates shall be 50 cubic feet perminute
    (24 L/s) for intermittent ventilation or 20 cubic feet per
    minute (10 L/s) for continuous ventilation. Ventilation air

from the space shall be exhausted directly to the outside.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Gene you got your answer, but if that was my report, it would call for the builder to install the fan, which apparently was in the plan but forgotten at beer time.

The builder's warranty should cover it and it is a standard we expect to see in a new home.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Elliot Franson Guest

Mr. South: You said this is a master bathroom. Does it have a separate water closet compartment? Where is the operable window located? Where is the fan to have been installed?

I am asking these questions because, in my experience a fan is required in the bathroom and in the water closet compartment even if they are not separated by a door. If the window is in one of those areas, a fan is requried in the other.

Hi Elliot, the master bath did not have a separate water closet, just a half-wall partition separting the toilet. Thanks to all for the input.

Gene