Thread: csst

Default csst

What are you guys putting in your reports when you find csst?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: csst

• Gas line material: Newer flexible lines (CSST) are the subject of litigation.
    Proper electrical bonding is required in order to reduce risks associated with
    lightening strikes. No electrical bonding was found. Go to this web site for
    information about the settlement

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Here is one version, I am planning on changing it due to new info about the low lighting zone here affecting the manufacturers recommendations.

The CSST flexible gas piping that is used throughout the house is a common item. A class action lawsuit involved this type of product. The details are available at Microsoft Redirect or 800 420-2916

The product was not recalled but recommendations were made to closely follow the manufactures installation instructions. The instructions are not part of this inspection but likely involve proper grounding methods of the pipe to prevent issues with lightning. I recommend having the grounding installed by a licensed electrician, plumber or HVAC person that is familiar with the installation instructions.

Thanks guy's mines about the same. Just checking.Wayne

Smile Re: csst

I would make the point it needs to be bonded just like everything else. I'd make sure they understand bonding is not just for CSST. It somehow got skipped over as to who would do the bonding( gas fitter vs. electrician). I would also point out even properly executed bonding is no guarantee against problems.

All in all, I love CSST. I think anytime you can use a listed product over an unlisted one, it merits strong consideration.

Comment on this pic: The better installations incorporate a drip at the manifold along with one shutoff for the house there along with a MP regulator to insure you get plenty of gas in these larger homes. It costs $10 labor and materials to install shutoffs at each line coming off that manifold. Each line should be marked to note what it goes to. Note the markings on the polyester jacket: they include foot markings like a built in tape rule. the biggest single practical problem with this stuff is they sell it in 250ft. spools. Depending upon a lot of factors but 35-50 ft. is about max for a 1/2" ID run for most appliances.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.