Default Is a sink required to have a stopper?

I dont think so, but is a bathroom sink required to have a stopper or some method of filling the sink with water? I don't believe there is but just thought I would check to see what others thought.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Is a sink required to have a stopper?

Don't know, don't think so ... I've seen a number of the fancy, yuppy, glass, marble bowl type lav sinks that don't have stoppers as part of the drains. Presumably since they don't have overflow channels.
    Granted just because it is made doesn't make it ok. On the other hand, considering how many little kids overflow lav sinks, no stopper is probably a good thing.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Speaking as a wearer of contact lenses, I need a stopper at the bottom of the sink bowl. When I rinse my lenses, if one slips out of my fingers and the drain is open, it's bye-bye lense. Not saying a stopper should be required but depending on the people living in the house, it may be needed.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

None of the fancy "vessel" sinks that were mentioned have stoppers that I have seen.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    I dont think so, but is a bathroom sink required to have a stopper or some method of filling the sink with water? I don't believe there is but just thought I would check to see what others thought.
    First of all lets start with where to find the information, depending on what codes have been adopted, and how ammended, etc.

A "bathroom sink" is generally referred to as a "lavatory", that is the term for the "plumbing fixture".

The "waste outlet" of the "lavatory" is the area of conern.

Next, it is not necessarily required to have a method to fill the sink with water, without some regional requirement. However a method to protect the restrict or protect the waste outlet from an object or objects from entering and stopping up the drainage system (fixture arm, branch, drain, etc.) is required by the model codes, this is sometimes (oftentimes) accomplished by the use of a pop-up stopper.

Generally, wording is usually found under plumbing fixtures, lavatories, and usually in the area addressing lavatory (lavatories) waste outlets.

Something to the effect of: Lavatories shall have waste outlets not less than 1.25 inch (32 mm) in diameter. A strainer, pop-up stopper, crossbar or other device shall be provided to restrict the clear opening of the waste outlet.

So in summary, method to stop up? no unless locally required, method to protect or reduce the clear opening of the waste outlet? yes.

Does your area use chapter 27 of the IRC or a different model code section for plumbing fixtures? (I'm not of a mind to re-check Texas, or look up your city and/or county seat at the moment).

HTH

H.G. Thanks ! Good info. You Da Man.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Awww shucks, thank you and you're welcome.

Gene,

It does seem many of the mechancial drain stops at sinks are missing. It usually is a indicator I've found of a slow draining sink also. I think people remove the stopper thinking it will help drain the sink faster.

rick

Elliot Franson Guest

P2711.3 Lavatory waste outlets. Lavatories shall have waste
    outlets not less than 11/4 inch (32 mm) in diameter. A strainer,
    pop-up stopper, crossbar or other device shall be provided to
    restrict the clear opening of the waste outlet.
    [1]Section P2711.1 establishes the minimum size requirement
    for lavatory waste outlets as well as the restriction
    for the waste opening. Each lavatory drain
    opening must have a restriction device that prevents
    foreign items such as jewelry, toiletry items and cosmetics
    from inadvertently entering the drainage
    system.

There are no local requirements for pop-up stoppers per se in the D/FW area, to my knowledge.