dan orourke Guest

Default Ceiling fan & clearances from tub

Last edited by dan orourke; 01-02-2008 at 07:46 AM.
    Member Benefits1

David Banks Guest

Default Re: Ceiling fan & clearances from tub

Lights and fans shall not have any parts located within a zone measured 3 feet horizontally and 8 feet vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing.

Richard Rushing Guest

I don't. But, if I were doing a code inspection, it would be from the outside edge to three (3) feet out and eight (8) feet up.
    (see attached).

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Envision a box over the tub (or shower) which is measured from Point A, measure out 3 feet, up 8 feet (or to the ceiling if less than 8 feet up), then back to the walls.

The tips of the blades of the ceiling fan are not allowed to cross into that 'box'.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Richard Rushing Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RobertSmith View Post
    Richard, by your comment you imply that if you pull out a measuring tape and measure things you are doing a code compliant inspection! Or am I misunderstanding you????
    Robert-- that was a funny post. Yes... you were misunderstanding me.

Question: RE: Ceiling fan & clearances from tub --"Where do you measure from the tub to the edge of the paddles, on the inner rim (point a) or outer rim of tub (point b)?"
    Answer: "I don't. if I were doing a code inspection, it would be from the outside edge to three (3) feet out and eight (8) feet up.(see attached)."

What part of the above answer means that taking any measurement (you said, "pull out a tape measure and measure things")... constitutes a code inspection? You have to put it in the context of the question that was asked and the answer I posted.

It is a rare occassion that I pull out a measuring tape during an existing property inspection. However, a new construction is another story-- I do use one, as a new construction inspection is basically a code inspection, whether anyone wants to acknowledge it or not. You are inspecting to what the builder is building to-- present day code.

The essence of what I was saying was that I rarely use a tape measure unless it's a new construction.

If I see something on an existing construction that looks like it could be a measureable code violation, I simply state what I see. Take a staircase for example, a home that has been lived in for 10-15 years will NEVER have the staircase torn-out and re-done because a measurement is off. If I see something that is visually obvious, I will report what I see and move on.... Pretty simple.

Rich

Last edited by Richard Rushing; 07-14-2007 at 12:34 PM.