Regina Thomas Guest

Default New Inspector Residential /Commercial

Hello Everyone,
    I am extremely happy to be associated with all of you. I am new to the industry and need some friends in this business.
    I will be starting classes in January, please send anything you may think is helpful.
    God Bless you All!!

Please call me Gina

Gina

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: New Inspector Residential /Commercial

The cost of doing business

Pretty great

They say the housing market is coming back....not yet.

Could be a great business but do not blur could with will.

Welcome to the business and I hope you do well.

Gina,

My advice - ask questions, lots and lots of questions even if you think some of them may be dumb - ask them. If you see some gruff comments on this site just ignore them.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Tim Twite Guest

Gina:
    Everything that Ted and Eric said is very true. There is no such thing as a dumb question. I started a little over a year ago and struggle daily. It will take a while to get established.

Start doing your research now, housing market, other inspectors in the area, and materials. Spend time at your local home supply stores learning the types of building materials, electrical, and plumbing. If you have questions go to the contractors desk and ask, do not trust a yard monkey.

Good Luck

BTW did no one tell you when you join this group you need to bring coffee and donuts? Or was it you need to know most of us are nuts? (I'm kidding) You can learn and laugh alot watching this site and get real answers to questions you may have.

Gina,

Consider finding a local association meeting that you can attend. If there is more than one, go to any and all to meet the local inspectors and get a feel for the type of people at the meetings. The meetings that I attend are fairly casual and we all get along really well. Even after years of attending meetings, I still get good information, not to mention the ability to talk to someone with similar knowledge.

Home inspection is largely a male dominated field. In your case, I would seriously think about marketing female buyers. It may not be a huge chunk of the market, but there is a good chance that you could do quite well if you can figure out how to specifically target single women buyers.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Do the best inspection you can, Follow the standards of practice by what ever inspection group you belong to. Be sure to be insured and follow their recomendations also! dont be a hero! just do the best you can.

Rolland Pruner