Thread: Flex Ducts

Michael Farha Guest

Default Flex Ducts

Has anyone heard that flex duct will no longer be used in new construction in the near future? I got this from a HVAC tech yesterday. If yes, what are the reasons? Any info will be helpful.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Elliot Franson Guest

Default Re: Flex Ducts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Farha View Post
    Has anyone heard that flex duct will no longer be used in new construction in the near future? I got this from a HVAC tech yesterday. If yes, what are the reasons? Any info will be helpful.
    Mr. Farha:

I have not heard of this. Though I have become willing to believe nearly anything in the past few years, I doubt that this will come to pass in the near future.

News to me. Everybody uses flex out here. At least for residential. Probably use metal in commercial.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Ted Menelly Guest

I actually did hear that but not sure how long ago or by whom. One of those things that just was kind of "Really, hm"

Elliot Franson Guest

Here is a link to that information.

Mitsubishi CITY MULTI® Minisplits.

Quote Originally Posted by James Risley View Post
    They are probably talking about the Mitsubishi new "City Multi Heat Recovery" system. They provide heat and cool (simultainously) to individual room ceiling units. One room can heat and one room can cool at the same time. They use liquid lines from main unit to room units. NO DUCT required. Fresh air intake will have to be handled somehow.
    -----

JR

huh?

Not sure what this has to do with flex duct . . . .

Flex duct is used extensively in residential AND commercial systems. Even high end HVAC system rely on flex duct to a certain extent. I would be amazed if codes eliminated the use.

The truth is flex duct when installed properly is a very good and useful product.

Quote Originally Posted by James Risley View Post
    This thread asked if flex duct was not to be used in the future. The answer is that with one of these minisplit systems there is no need for flex duct as the refrigerant goes from main unit to each room unit and NO DUCT is involved. You may, however, want to use flex duct to supply fresh air. I did not take the original post to say that flex duct was to be eliminated by code.......Possible I misread the original post.
    JR

I made assumptions as well James, thanks for your clarification.

If you see a lot of flex duct, you may want to check your Code. Length and type of flex duct is limited here. Forget the length 5' or 6' for the most part. Been a while since I read that section. The gray plastic outer sleeve flex duct is limited in use. The silver foil outer sleeve flex duct is Ok for more use. Something about fire/fumes with the gray plastic sleeve.
    Hope that confuses the issue more.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

There are 2 different types of 'Flex'- one is a connector and one is a duct.

A flex connector is limited to 14 feet while a flex duct is unlimited.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Miller View Post
    There are 2 different types of 'Flex'- one is a connector and one is a duct.

A flex connector is limited to 14 feet while a flex duct is unlimited.
    Correct.

One is simply an "air connector" and is not classified as a duct, with (as Darren said) a maximum allowed length of 14 feet. These are not insulated - basically think of these as flexible duct without the insulation or outer covering.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

David Bell Guest

Flex connectors may be insulated but may also be made of thin wired mylar internal tubes with mylar outer wraps that do not meet flame spread requirements for flex duct.