Thread: A First For Me

Default A First For Me

Comments Please:

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: A First For Me

Do you have pics of the gable ends? Older pre-70's home? That looks like a style that we see up here sometimes, an attempt to make a shingle roof look like an English thatched roof. The old T-locks worked better for that, but (sniff) they're also a thing of the past.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

There ya go!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

chris mcintyre Guest

That is crazy looking but as long as the sheathing and those first few runs of shingles meet the installation requirements, IMO it is OK.

Ron Bibler Guest

The shingles need support. voids the warranty of the roof. did you see any water stains. and there are water stains I bet some place around the overhangs. this is a poor install and needs to be corrected...

Best

Ron

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

The first set of photographs appear not to be what was intimated by a later poster a rolled eave (rolling eave, radius eave, wrapped eave) appliaction, but a modified BELL type roofing application, note the flare and edge termination(s), which would be more in keeping with the tropical or subtropical location.

Obviously there are issues with improper installation, and a significant problem at the valley.

A rolled eave, or wrapped eave installation requires more skill and is slightly more difficult and less forgiving than a bell roofing installation although there is much in common.

An experienced roofing professional, shingle manufacturer's installation instructions, and sometimes manufacturer's representatives, in these type installations should be consulted. Installation errors tend to void manufacturer's warranties. Shingle manufacturer's installation instructions, technical specifications, etc. limit and have specialized requirements regarding low slope and high slope, radius, orientation, applications for their roofing system materials.

Obvious defect is pictured in first photograph posted in need of remediation.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 08-11-2010 at 09:11 AM.