Shane Dredge Guest

Default Non-dedicated circuit for whirlpool or hydro jet tub

I inspected a house today built in 1996 and the hydro message bathtub was on a circuit shared with an exterior outlet. Both were GFCI protected. My question is as follows: Should I do anything more than to make a note in the report that it is often considered a "best practice" to put a hydro message or whirlpool tub on a dedicated circuit. I know that newer code requires it (NEC680.71) but other than nuisance tripping, can not think of a reason why it would be a repair item... PS The access panel was caulked shut so the motor was not accessible.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Non-dedicated circuit for whirlpool or hydro jet tub

The access panel was caulked shut so the motor was not accessible.

Sounds like par for the course around here. Finding an access for a whirlpool tub that can actually be opened is a rarity.

As long as it is GFI protected is what matters to me.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Dredge View Post
    I inspected a house today built in 1996 and the hydro message bathtub was on a circuit shared with an exterior outlet. Both were GFCI protected. My question is as follows: Should I do anything more than to make a note in the report that it is often considered a "best practice" to put a hydro message or whirlpool tub on a dedicated circuit. I know that newer code requires it (NEC680.71) but other than nuisance tripping, can not think of a reason why it would be a repair item... PS The access panel was caulked shut so the motor was not accessible.

The dedicated circuit is new in the 2008 NEC.

The two important things would be GFCI protection AND access which is actually accessible and not caulked and sealed in place.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Shane Dredge Guest

Thanks Jerry and Nick

On that note, would you write it up as a repair if you found a home built post 2008 had a hydro tub on a non dedicated circuit as long as it was gfci protected? I have never run across this in a newer home installation.

Typically, the installation instructions will call for a "separate circuit". I've always interpreted that as a "dedicated" circuit, report the requirement as such, and no electrician has ever disagreed.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

I usually try to get look at the motor area and will often find a sticker right on the tub. I seem to recall running across quite a few older ones that are on shared circuits so I think you're okay there. The access is another story.

Access.......what's the difference? you either take out a handfull of screws or use a razor knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Typically, the installation instructions will call for a "separate circuit". I've always interpreted that as a "dedicated" circuit, report the requirement as such, and no electrician has ever disagreed.
    When you have the installation instructions that "is code by reference" as the listed electrical equipment is required to be installed in accordance with its listing and labeling and instructions, 110.3(B), however, ... ... when you do not have the installation instruction instructions you cannot pull that genie out of the bottle.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Carlisle View Post
    Access.......what's the difference?
    I thought you were a code inspector and knew the codes, and, if so, you would KNOW "what's the difference".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com