Thread: OSB eave

Ron Bishop Guest

Default OSB eave

Does anyone see a problem other than cosmetic with this OSB eave and it's peeling paint? The house was built in 1986.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

chris mcintyre Guest

Default Re: OSB eave

Looks to me like the OSB has started to delaminate, which is a problem. I don't see it as a huge problem but it needs more than a coat of paint.

looks like an incompetant roofer used nails that damaged the osb. osb that is exposure 1 or exterior grade is approved for that application.

I would call that unfinished. The typical finish is to cover that mess with perforated soffit cover.

Quote Originally Posted by brian schmitt View Post
    looks like an incompetant roofer used nails that damaged the osb. osb that is exposure 1 or exterior grade is approved for that application.
    The roofing nails are protruding through the OSB, yes, but how is that incompetent, assuming the sheathing is typical thickness?

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bishop View Post
    Does anyone see a problem other than cosmetic with this OSB eave and it's peeling paint? The house was built in 1986.

Cosmetic or not, OSB should not be used on the eves. Just another contractor cutting corners and not doing their job.... RIGHT!!

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by David Garton View Post
    Cosmetic or not, OSB should not be used on the eves. Just another contractor cutting corners and not doing their job.... RIGHT!!

Are you saying that OSB should not be used as roof sheathing?

Last edited by chris mcintyre; 08-13-2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: forgot the "not"

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    Are you saying that OSB should be used as roof sheathing?

Yes, OSB is fine for roof sheathing but it should not be used on the eves or the overhang, the part of the roof sheathing that is seen from underneath when walking around the home

chris mcintyre Guest

Yes, OSB is fine for roof sheathing but it should not be used on the eves or the overhang, the part of the roof sheathing that is seen from underneath when walking around the home

I edited my previous post to say what I meant , but I see that you got what I was saying.

When the roof sheathing is put on, it is cantilevered over the rafters for the overhang, changing over to a different material for the overhang would create many issues. Back when 1x6's where used, leaving the sheathing exposed was common practice (in my area) but with OSB I agree with John......

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I would call that unfinished. The typical finish is to cover that mess with perforated soffit cover.

Are you talking about the soffit?

We need to really try and call things by their name, it helps to get your point across and renders the correct or hopefully correct response.

I agree that exposed OSB is an unfinished install if it is not protected in some manner.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    I edited my previous post to say what I meant , but I see that you got what I was saying.

When the roof sheathing is put on, it is cantilevered over the rafters for the overhang, changing over to a different material for the overhang would create many issues. Back when 1x6's where used, leaving the sheathing exposed was common practice (in my area) but with OSB I agree with John......
    Chris, what is pretty common around these parts is using OSB for the roof sheathing except on the overhang (I MEAN THE SOFFIT), where CDX plywood is used. This gives a better look and paints up well

Last edited by David Garton; 08-14-2010 at 10:24 PM.

While I would like to see plywood used at gable and eave overhangs, I don't consider the use of OSB sheathing at these areas to be a defect.

Please, somebody prove me wrong by showing a credible source showing that it shouldn't be used, and for what reason, besides looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    While I would like to see plywood used at gable and eave overhangs, I don't consider the use of OSB sheathing at these areas to be a defect.

Please, somebody prove me wrong by showing a credible source showing that it shouldn't be used, and for what reason, besides looks.
    Both would need to be rated for Exposure 1, which is only temporary exposure to the weather during construction (basically intended to be less than 6 months).

PDF Download | APA - The Engineered Wood Association

PDF Download | APA - The Engineered Wood Association

Search "exposure" in those two documents (would not allow me to copy and paste). The '6 months' I got from the APA a long time ago as an industry excepted time period, not sure it if is documented anywhere, nonetheless, though, the above documents refer to 'during construction' and 'construction delay' - not to leaving it permanently exposed like that.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

I finally got a day off, and figured I would look into this some more.
    I did not spend any time reading your documents, because this one specifically states that OSB can be used at open soffits: http://www.apawood.org/pdfs/managed/...TOKEN=19279617

Elliot Franson Guest

Jerry,

I did not spend any time reading your documents, because this one specifically states that OSB can be used at open soffits: http://www.apawood.org/pdfs/managed/...TOKEN=19279617
    Mr. Whitmore: It could perhaps be successfully argued that a soffit at the rake of a roof, because it is not a horizontal surface, does not constitute one that is only exposed on the underside.

Mr. Whitmore: It could perhaps be successfully argued that a soffit at the rake of a roof, because it is not a horizontal surface, does not constitute one that is only exposed on the underside.
    Mr. Franson: I know you like a good debate........ If I were the judge, I'd shoot down that argument, if it were being argued . After reading and re- reading the technical document in question, I am positive that the APA would be on my side.

Elliot Franson Guest

Mr. Franson: I know you like a good debate........ If I were the judge, I'd shoot down that argument, if it were being argued . After reading and re- reading the technical document in question, I am positive that the APA would be on my side.
    Mr. Whitmore: But then, you are not the judge, right? And, if you actually could shoot down my argument (which I never really offered anyway - please peruse my original post to verify this for yourself), the ammunition would have been flying in my direction already, correct?

If you are that positive, why not contact the APA directly and ask them? Or, is it because YOU like a good debate?

Brandon, I can not prove you wrong or do I want to. My only reason is for LOOKS

(which I never really offered anyway - please peruse my original post to verify this for yourself),
    Agreed. This is from my previous post: " if it were being argued "

If you are that positive, why not contact the APA directly and ask them?
    Because it is already written in the technical note I posted. I may have contacted them had I not found that document.

Brandon, I can not prove you wrong or do I want to. My only reason is for LOOKS
    I kept this going so that some newer inspector didn't come here, read this thread, and then start writing up exposed OSB at these areas. Not only would he possibly look like a fool, but would help give inspectors a bad name.

I kept this going so that some newer inspector didn't come here, read this thread, and then start writing up exposed OSB at these areas. Not only would he possibly look like a fool, but would help give inspectors a bad name.
    Maybe it's a regional thing, but I never want to see OSB outside. Even if it's under the roofing, it will go moldy just from moisture in the atmosphere.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Elliot Franson Guest

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I never want to see OSB outside. Even if it's under the roofing, it will go moldy just from moisture in the atmosphere.
    Mr. Kogel: No, it is not just a regional thing, but a common sense thing. Exposed OSB does not play well with the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Franson View Post
    Mr. Kogel: No, it is not just a regional thing, but a common sense thing. Exposed OSB does not play well with the elements.
    Jerry,

brandon,
    you can lead a horse or horses to water but sometimes they just won't drink

Jerry,

Brandon,

Did you read this part of your link?

(The file will not allow copy and paste, so go to page 2 of 2 to "Finishing - Soffit Applications" and then to "Expected Results and Performance". That "Expected Results and Performance" pretty much states what that photo shows.)

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Hi Jerry,

Yes, I read that document multiple times before posting...........
    I don't like seeing exposed OSB any more than the next guy.
    I think that the OSB looks like it does in the original photo for at least a couple of reasons, including nail penetrations, exposure to moisture before being installed, etc.

Elliot Franson Guest

Hi Jerry,

Yes, I read that document multiple times before posting...........
    I don't like seeing exposed OSB any more than the next guy.
    I think that the OSB looks like it does in the original photo for at least a couple of reasons, including nail penetrations, exposure to moisture before being installed, etc.
    Mr. Whitmore: Obviously, to borrow from Mr. Schmitt's use of the old saw: you can lead a horse to water and he may fall in and drown. My condolences to your next of kin.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Franson View Post
    Mr. Whitmore: Obviously, to borrow from Mr. Schmitt's use of the old saw: you can lead a horse to water and he may fall in and drown. My condolences to your next of kin.
    elliot,
    you can be such an aaron at times!

Elliot Franson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brian schmitt View Post
    elliot,
    you can be such an aaron at times!
    Mr. Schmiit: Why thank you. That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a while.